Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

I don't see how companies like LL Bean can accept the number of returns they do.
I bought a 10' x 10' screen house last spring to use out here on buggy nights and for camping up country.
We had set it up for graduation on Sunday and today the wind picked it up, pulled the stakes out of the ground and bent one of the main poles right in two. Since LL Bean is only about a half a mile from here as the crow flies I decided to take the tent down and see if I could get a pole for it.
I waited in line watching people return pants with holes WORN through them,
shoes with soles scuffed through, and coats with no obvious defects except the person didn't like the color after wearing it for 6 months!
I explained my problem and they told me to go to camping and get a new tent. I told the lady I didn't want a new tent just a pole but she insisted that is how they do things. I went to camping to find that the screen tent I had has been discontinued already and the one they now carry was a different shape, nowhere near as good, and not in stock anyway.
I returned to the customer service area and the lady then said she would order a pole for mine(which is all I wanted in the first place). Then she said the phone lines were down and she couldn't order the pole today and offered to give me back the cost of the tent. I did not want the money back just a new pole. I told her I'd come back when the phones were working and she looked at me like I had two heads! "Why don't you want your money back?" she asked. I said, I like the tent, it was certainly not LL Bean's fault it broke in a high wind, the replacement version is not the same thing and not available anyway, and you can't order a replacement pole or tell me if one is available with no phone so I'll come back! She just stood there and looked at me funny as I zipped up the bag and told her to have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
I can understand your frustration. It appears that so many people "milk" their generous return policies. When an honest customer needs only a replacement part and not their money back , the customer service rep is surprised! I bet she was equally surprised that you did not have some cockamany story cooked up, along with a nasty, rude attitude.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I can understand your frustration. It appears that so many people "milk" their generous return policies. When an honest customer needs only a replacement part and not their money back , the customer service rep is surprised! I bet she was equally surprised that you did not have some cockamany story cooked up, along with a nasty, rude attitude.
She didn't even want to see if the pole was really broken but I insisted we open the bag so I could show her!
I wasn't really frustrated I was just amazed at how robotic and matter of fact they are about allowing EVERYTHING to be returned without question. Would you take back a pair of pants that you wore out?? I would never even THINK of doing that but there were people doing it....I don't know how they can sleep at night!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 33,584 times
Having worked in both the Distribution and Return Departments at Bean as a seasonal employee, the bean Returns policy has been one of the building blocks, if not the cornerstone of the foundation of the company.

When LL sent out his first 100 pairs of Duck boots back in 1912, something like 75 were returned, no questions asked.

you also should know that a good portion of the merchandise that is returned goes either to the Factory store or to the Employee store, and only about 8% is thrown out/sent to Goodwill. Trust me, Bean isn't losing money because of their Returns Policy.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Duck boots! Haven't heard that term in years! My grandfather used to call them that. They were just Bean boots to us. I remember in high school, it was very 'hip' to have the tall 16" ones with your pants tucked into them.
Oh gawd! What a look!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM

121 posts, read 415,092 times
In high school and through college I worked at Ames dept stores and worked my way up to the service desk. Don't know if you remember Ames as they are now defunct. Probably because they had a similar policy! LOL Seriously, I couldn't believe the things I was told to accept for returns. The one that sticks in my head is the woman who came in lugging her 3 kids, with old filthy worn-out sneakers that "didn't fit" her kids. Obviously they've been wearing them for a year and grew out of them. I turned and looked at the manager and he just nodded and I said okay, go get 3 new pairs of sneakers. I think they wrote stuff like that off as charity. That I didn't mind so much. It was the people returning Xmas stuff in January (plates, decorations, etc) that annoyed me. Without boxes, obviously used, etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times
Years ago, I was at K-Mart in line returning something. In front of me, there was a lady with a kid on her arm who was returning a pair of shoes that looked like they were a year old. Apparently there was no problem and she got a new pair. When I got to the front of the line, I asked the clerk about it and she just said "If you buy a pair of shoes at K-Mart, you buy a pair for life". She just winked at me. I guess she was trained not to argue with the customers and just give replacements for shoes. I bet they sell a lot of them. Nice policy. Are they still in business?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,728 times
I understand the return policy of Beans and I think it is great that if you get a product that does not do what it claims it will do or if you purchase something that does not hold up through a washing. I also would return a product like that, however, where the heck are peoples morals? When did it become okay to take advantage of a store or their policy? It seems as though people find it the "norm" to get the most they can even if it is in a less honest way.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
I will say that I used to buy my Teva sandals from Bean's because some were prone to splitting after a month or so (where the strap meets the sole), and I did end up with 3 pair in one year, 2 being free replacements due to them coming apart. I wouldn't do that with everything, but as that I spent $70 on the first pair and they dissolved within a month, and the second pair also lasted about as long, I don't really feel bad. The third pair (you know, the third time is always a charm..), in a different style lasted about 3 years (and since I was in college, you know I wore those puppies summer, winter, spring, and fall!). I do figure that if something gives out before I think it's an acceptable amount of time compared to the cost, I would ask for a replacement, or at least a partial credit towards a new item. I wouldn't do what some people do, but it's obvious that L.L. planned for that very thing by making the return policy so generous- it gives customers a sense of security about buying there, and that creates many loyal returning customers, most of whom do not abuse the policy.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
I am a LL Bean fan. I enjoy there items, there stand behind the product standards, and they ship to me here so quickly.
Your right about those who milk it. I don't agree. DH had a leatherman I got him for his birthdays years back, and something broke on it. He took it back and said he wanted to know if they could fix it for him. They said it can't be done,and since they no longer carried that style they would give him the value of it so he could get another. He walked up and down the store in Freeport thinking how he liked that one and why would anyone do that. I said I know, I'm floored too.
I bought the seashell bedding for my room and OH MY .. I LOVE ITTTTTTTT.
Attached Thumbnails
LL Bean Return policies-llbean-my-bedding.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: