U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,451,708 times
That is why in reality you should never lock your car! People will destroy just to gain entry. Just don't leave anything in it and leave it unlocked. I had a convertible once that had a small item, less than $40 in value, and a kid wanted the item, so he cut the convertible top with a knife and popped the door lock with his hand through the roof, and took the item. I was lucky in that someone saw the guy, and told me who he thought it was. I called the police and they went to the boys house and I got the item back, and the parent bought me a new top. Unfortunately, it wasn't fitted properly and for the remainder of time that I owned the car when I turned a corner in the rain, my left knee got wet. Now that I remember, the police didn't even charge the boy with petit theft and destruction of property, they just made his father promise to make restitution. Boy, you can tell that was back in the 70's where even thieves got a break.

Looking back, it was then that I realized if you don't leave anything in your vehicle, it won't be damaged by someone looking for something to steal. Women should lock their purses in the trunk if they don't take them with you. There is no real way to thwart a thief, but inviting targets are the ones that they usually hit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,746,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
That is why in reality you should never lock your car! People will destroy just to gain entry. Just don't leave anything in it and leave it unlocked. I had a convertible once that had a small item, less than $40 in value, and a kid wanted the item, so he cut the convertible top with a knife and popped the door lock with his hand through the roof, and took the item. I was lucky in that someone saw the guy, and told me who he thought it was. I called the police and they went to the boys house and I got the item back, and the parent bought me a new top. Unfortunately, it wasn't fitted properly and for the remainder of time that I owned the car when I turned a corner in the rain, my left knee got wet. Now that I remember, the police didn't even charge the boy with petit theft and destruction of property, they just made his father promise to make restitution. Boy, you can tell that was back in the 70's where even thieves got a break.

Looking back, it was then that I realized if you don't leave anything in your vehicle, it won't be damaged by someone looking for something to steal. Women should lock their purses in the trunk if they don't take them with you. There is no real way to thwart a thief, but inviting targets are the ones that they usually hit.

I never locked my car until I moved down here to the crime capital of the world. I now never leave my purse on the seat beside me in plain view, I always lock it in my trunk.
The silliest thing I do quite often is, I'll be riding with my convertible top down and when I stop at a store, I will still out of habit hit the lock button!
Duh! The top is down!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,451,708 times
In south Florida you better lock your car, house, valuables, etc. up. My DW lived there for 3 years and she could not wait to leave, the traffic, the people, the eternal hot summer, and finally hurricane Andrew. She hovered in the tub all night long the night it hit. That was it, she was outta there.

Hey, don't you have one of those motion detector car alarms? You lock the car, turn on the alarm, and if anyone so much as sticks their hand in from above the glass, the alarm goes off ...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 PM

400 posts, read 468,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
sings *76 trombones led the big parade*
Thank you very much - now I'll have that song going through my head for the next two weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine