U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 PM

50 posts, read 175,777 times

Advertisements

Msina those are some really good tips, thank you. I will have to check on the portable propane heaters too, thanks Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,855,644 times
We are still looking for budget plans...supposed to be out this week. I can only imagine. Our house is new, around 2000 sf with lots of big windows overlooking the water. Last year we used about 770 gallons and we often had windows open as my husband was doing interior painting. We just bought 4 cords of firewood and have a Hampton woodstove...it is excellent and has a blower.

We are going to insulate the cellar this fall to help with the cost of heating...we also had steps built on our porch (still finishing the house) which will block the wind from the water side somewhat.

It's going to be a pretty scary winter for everyone, I think.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,063,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Hey Fly,

It depends on your stove. What is it?

I've got a big honkin' Ashley downstairs that was a dump find 10 years ago. I burn a Dover Franklin with a blower upstairs. I am looking for a Dover Super box and having no luck at the moment. I have seen a couple of Mini boxes around. neither have been made in years, but that just shows you how good the Dover Stove company was.

It is a fisher #MH11256 "fire place insert". Looks to be from the 80's. I l have the manual. I know very little about this stuff.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,059,971 times
My Dover is basically a Franklin fireplace insert. It will hold an armload of good wood for about six hours or so, if I close the damper. Use good hardwood. The birch burns awful fast.

I know several people who love their propane stove/fireplace and they burn cheaper than oil right now.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

I'm reading through the manual....It extends 11" from the fireplace, you can use coal...also there is 2 vent openings in the brick wall of the fireplace, that alledgedly circulate air....I had stuffed insulation in them because they were really drafty. My concern is....using it properly burning the right wood...could I get enough heat out of it to save money?

P.S. it also says you can use coal, but I am not sure about that.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM

30,693 posts, read 49,488,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I'm reading through the manual....It extends 11" from the fireplace, you can use coal...also there is 2 vent openings in the brick wall of the fireplace, that alledgedly circulate air....I had stuffed insulation in them because they were really drafty. My concern is....using it properly burning the right wood...could I get enough heat out of it to save money?

P.S. it also says you can use coal, but I am not sure about that.

I would follow the manual.

What you felt as 'drafty' may have been it's effort to circulate.

We have burned coal, it does make a tonne of heat. Way more heat than wood! But it takes a different designed grate. If your stove will burn coal; than I would load up on coal.

Also a ceiling fan, mounted directly over the stove; has a HUGE effect on a stove's ability to push out heat.

We have a ceiling fan directly over our stove. 20' in every direction it makes a big difference.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
If your stove will burn coal; than I would load up on coal.
I will look into it. My concern would be how dirty it would be...coal burns down into a fine dust. the manual says coal must be burned in an elevated position (coal basket) and needs to maintain a 2" clearance.

heats up to 10,500 Cu. feet.
burns up to 8-10 hours
wood 18"
height 33"
width 15 1/2 "
depth 28"
ctr flue 26 3/4"
lef hgt 8 5/8"
flue dia 8"
door opening 17 1/2"

I do not know what all this means...but maybe you can let me know. Tons of coal vs cord of wood....I figured I would use about 1 cord.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM

7,118 posts, read 8,165,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When we lived up North [in Scotland] small portable propane room heaters were very common.

I don't see them much around here in this warmer climate, but they did seem to be fairly economical.
They still make 'em, Forest!

Mr. Heater makes the "Portable Buddy" and the "Big Buddy". I have a couple of the Big Buddy types. Will run on a 1-lb propane bottle, or with the 12' lines I have, can connect to 20#, 30#, and 40# LP tanks.

With a built-in blower (AC or batteries), these things crank out 18,000 BTUs each. One keeps the garage warm in coldest winter. Won't heat a whole house, but will definitely take the edge off on a cool day.

Disclaimer: I do not own stock in Mr. Heater company!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,085,358 times
If misery loves company............my gas bill for heating Marquette, MI apartments for May was $264.00. (Can you imagine Jan?) Natural gas prices are also poised for a big jump this coming htg season. My 10 cords for home are drying nicely!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,460,163 times
I have some wood ordered. A deal I had going on a wood stove didn't pan out so I'll have to keep looking for another wood stove to stick in the fireplace. . I'll find one by fall....I hope! Meanwhile I have about 2 cords of oak already cut and about a cord of cherry in 4 foot lengths. We'll get by for this winter at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine