U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM

150 posts, read 638,132 times

Advertisements

We plan on building within the next 2 yrs.We're considering putting on a metal roof.What are the pros and cons of theses roofs.My concern is the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM

30 posts, read 134,390 times
I know someone who has a metal roof and the biggest pro is that the snow and ice slide right off ! Also they say the noise is not an issue...

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
Noise is not an issue with metal roofs. Even in the worst hail storms, the noise level will likely be no more than it would be in an asphalt roof. Throughtout this state the conventional building wisdom will recommend or require 5/8" sheathing on the roof, 30 pound felt and then the finish material.

I would recommend that in addition to the "conventional" metal roofs...actually called "Standing Seam" roofing...that you check out the galvanized steel shingle style of roofing. These shingles are "stone coated" and from a foot away look for all the world like old fashioned asphalt shingles...only they are made of galvanized steel.

Most of these products have very long warranties, and the best part is that the warranties are NOT prorated, so if the roof wears out in say, fifty years, the roofing will be replaced at cost.

In addition, galvanized roofing shingles weigh about one third what a "conventional" asphalt shingle roof weighs, so it is probably possible to use sheathing that is 3/8" instead of 5/8" and save some money, codes allowing, of course.

There are quite a few manufacturers of this kind of galvanized shingle, and they make a whole lot of different kinds, including shingles that look just like old fashioned shakes....just made out of galvanized steel. Neat stuff!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,263,223 times
Snow removal is easy sometimes too easy one poke with a stick and the whole thing is liable to fall on you. My dad has a metal roof on his house and garage. Once he backed his caddy out of the garage just as the snow and ice let go and it took out his windshield. Another time he was on his deck feeding the birds and the snow let go. Another down side are bats. They tend to crawl under the eaves and end up under the roofing

Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,579,094 times
Default Amish Metal Roofing

We're going to use a metal roof when we build in Island Falls. We'll be getting our roof from the Amish metal shop in Smyrna. It's an awesome little community that also does woodworking, farming, has a county store, etc.
www.aroostook.me.us/smyrna/amish/html (broken link) Click on "Business" at the bottom.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 PM

536 posts, read 2,809,273 times
My parents have a metal roof on their home in Maine. My dad said he's never do it again because of the maintenance required to keep it from leaking. I think he was referring to the nails coming out because the roof gets hot in the summer and expands, and then vice versa in the winter. Every time I head over there, he's on the roof at least once.

The house was built 10-15 years ago though, so I would assume this issue has probably been improved upon since then.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 26,588 times
Last summer when my girlfirend father finished His roof in Windham they were using screws with rubber stops that go between the head of the screw and the roof.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,404,568 times
Julz, where are you building? If it's a heavy snowfall area, metal is definitely favored. A good friend replaced his asphalt shingle roof with a metal roof several years ago, and he wonders why he didn't do it sooner. No ice dam problems, no maintenance, 50 to 100 year lifetime, and the noise issue isn't an issue. Besides metal, BTW, there are also composite roofs that look and install like metal but are appparently not quite as expensive. I know of them but not much about them, so do your due diligence in investigating them. We just had our roof reshingled six years ago, but if I had known then what I know now, we probably would have gone metal.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 17,438 times
i built my building 8 years ago and put a metal roof. it has been leak and trouble free. it has not faded and preforms well, as in no shoveling!!! i've had to shovel roofs off every year for my friends and inlaws. it requires no heat tape. i can't seem to load a pic but can email if you want

Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 18,536 times
My son and I both have metal roofs on our houses. We both love them. The noise from rain and hail is not a problem. After our recent ice storm my roof made loud banging noises and scared me. It sounded like a huge beam had cracked over my head. He said his was doing the same. It had been warmer that day and in the evening it was getting much colder when the noise began. There was at least a half inch of ice on the roof. Anyone know what causes this noise? I checked in the attic and all the beams are in fine shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine