U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2008, 10:13 AM

21,278 posts, read 5,235,983 times

Advertisements

Most hotel chains are now pet friendly. Some charge a fee and some don't. Alison's suggestion to google pet friendly hotels is a good one. Also, didn't you say you were getting a Garmin for your trip? My Garmin shows all area restaurants and hotels, with their addresses and phone numbers along the way. I usually just pull over and call from my cell and ask if they take pets.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,874,234 times
Default Hoax coast guard calls

Apparently it has happened yet again. We've seen recent articles in the Maine news lately about hoax distress calls.
Last night the Portland Coast Guard received a May-Day call from a boat that claimed to be off of The Berries, which is an area off of Duck Harbor on IAH. The radio call also claimed that my sister was on her way to assist the boat in distress. Portland Coast Guard sent the call to Rockland Coast Guard who then dispatched a cutter out to find said reported boat. There was no boat in distress. Many people on IAH were awakened in the middle of the night by phone calls wondering if it might have been one of their own that was in distress.

Who does this? Kids thinking it might be fun to pick up a radio and make a "prank call"?

Guess who pays for it in the long run? Sure, taxpayers!

What if there had been a real emergency in the area at the same time?

I shudder to think that someone would think that might be funny.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 PM

5,054 posts, read 8,108,349 times
Can only stay a minute......going to the park to celebrate our 2nd place soccer champs victory!! Wahoo!!

Both my girls made winning goals today, so we're on cloud nine!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 8,108,349 times
I have a sore throat after yelling through 4 games today! But, I learned all about layering!!

I started the morning today at 40 degrees wearing jeans, a wool sweater and a fleece jacket. I was still rather chilled! By noon, it was 50 degrees. I was wearing my jeans and the wool sweater minus the fleece. By 2pm and 62 or so, I'd peeled the sweater and swapped for a t-shirt and the jeans. By 4 pm, I was in t-shirt and shorts. Brad said all I needed was a pole!

Here it is 6:26 pm, and I'm back in cozy fleece jammie pants, thermal shirt and fuzzy slippers!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,044,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Who does this? Kids thinking it might be fun to pick up a radio and make a "prank call"?

It is a shame.
Reminds me of the story " The Boy Who Cried Wolf."
Someone needs to treach the pranksters a lesson.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Apparently it has happened yet again. We've seen recent articles in the Maine news lately about hoax distress calls.
Last night the Portland Coast Guard received a May-Day call from a boat that claimed to be off of The Berries, which is an area off of Duck Harbor on IAH. The radio call also claimed that my sister was on her way to assist the boat in distress. Portland Coast Guard sent the call to Rockland Coast Guard who then dispatched a cutter out to find said reported boat. There was no boat in distress. Many people on IAH were awakened in the middle of the night by phone calls wondering if it might have been one of their own that was in distress.

Prolly young teens with no connection to the water. If they had a lobsterman or fisherman for a dad or an uncle, etc., they wouldn't be futzin' around like this.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Prolly young teens with no connection to the water. If they had a lobsterman or fisherman for a dad or an uncle, etc., they wouldn't be futzin' around like this.
What these kids don't realize is the CG is very adept at triangulating a radio signal. They can quite easily find the source of a VHF or UHF Marine radio signal. Don't think they won't look either. Some yuppie parent with a Marine radio in the house is going to get a real surprise when Seth and his friends are hauled away for FCC violations and making a false emergency call!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,874,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
What these kids don't realize is the CG is very adept at triangulating a radio signal. They can quite easily find the source of a VHF or UHF Marine radio signal. Don't think they won't look either. Some yuppie parent with a Marine radio in the house is going to get a real surprise when Seth and his friends are hauled away for FCC violations and making a false emergency call!
Apparently there's some proposal in the works regarding all new VHF's will be equipped with a GPS type of system or an eperb.

Seth wouldn't do that! I know better. Holy crap? Seth? We need to talk.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Good! They all need a serious a** whoopin!!!! Being in difficulty at sea is not fun, nor funny.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I have a sore throat after yelling through 4 games today! But, I learned all about layering!!

I started the morning today at 40 degrees wearing jeans, a wool sweater and a fleece jacket. I was still rather chilled! By noon, it was 50 degrees. I was wearing my jeans and the wool sweater minus the fleece. By 2pm and 62 or so, I'd peeled the sweater and swapped for a t-shirt and the jeans. By 4 pm, I was in t-shirt and shorts. Brad said all I needed was a pole!

Here it is 6:26 pm, and I'm back in cozy fleece jammie pants, thermal shirt and fuzzy slippers!
Tell Brad if he puts a pole up for ya in Eastport ya'll have a reason to pack those stiletto's you mentioned the other day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine