Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of
the human genome by honoring those who
accidentally remove themselves from it...(quote from site)

Wow, that's a slap in the face for only joking around.
I loved my Lawn Jarts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
It's all fun and Jarts til somebody gets dead!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's all fun and Jarts til somebody gets dead!
I'm laughing so hard, my sides hurt

I was shopping for lawn games last week, and could NOT believe my eyes
Walmart.com : Jarts Lawn Game : Outdoor Play
Round ends? Are you kidding me? Where's the metal spears?!?

Found this official quote, excerpted from the following URL:
"...It should be noted that the specific incident that caused Lawn Jarts to be made illegal also involved beer, and that, when engaged in responsibly, the recreational use of Lawn Jarts is less dangerous than baseball."
Lawn Jarts - Banned From Sale in the United States
Ah-hah. The old Beer and Baseball Defense.

Online Jarts Game (a little tricky to figure out at first....might have something to do with the beer....)
Jarts

We found a plastic bocce set at our hotel in Bar Harbor last week. Lots of fun!Trying to find it online or in local stores to play this weekend at home, we discovered that real bocce balls are heavy, solid resin and huge, generally over 100mm in circumference. Petanque balls are about 70mm and much easier to handle/throw, although the real ones are also heavy. They look look like ball bearings. I'm still searching for a cheap plastic set!

So many parades and firework displays to choose from this week, we don't know which to choose yet. Half the fun is the anticipation

Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 AM

112 posts, read 283,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I'm laughing so hard, my sides hurt

I was shopping for lawn games last week, and could NOT believe my eyes
Walmart.com : Jarts Lawn Game : Outdoor Play
Round ends? Are you kidding me? Where's the metal spears?!?

Found this official quote, excerpted from the following URL:
"...It should be noted that the specific incident that caused Lawn Jarts to be made illegal also involved beer, and that, when engaged in responsibly, the recreational use of Lawn Jarts is less dangerous than baseball."
Lawn Jarts - Banned From Sale in the United States
Ah-hah. The old Beer and Baseball Defense.

Online Jarts Game (a little tricky to figure out at first....might have something to do with the beer....)
Jarts

We found a plastic bocce set at our hotel in Bar Harbor last week. Lots of fun!Trying to find it online or in local stores to play this weekend at home, we discovered that real bocce balls are heavy, solid resin and huge, generally over 100mm in circumference. Petanque balls are about 70mm and much easier to handle/throw, although the real ones are also heavy. They look look like ball bearings. I'm still searching for a cheap plastic set!

So many parades and firework displays to choose from this week, we don't know which to choose yet. Half the fun is the anticipation
Lawn Jarts ? Lawn Jarts - Banned From Sale in the United States
I wonder if anyone is selling smuggled ones from our neighbors to the North , out of the trunk of there car ?
Could they be the reason for the Border Patrol searches up by Forest ?
Bob
Ps
No I have Nothing to Declare Officer , Not even a set of Lawn Jarts .

Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 AM

112 posts, read 283,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
In years past it was traditional to have a Beer Garden off in a tent somewhere for the adults to have a little entertainment too. Not only could adults have a beer or two with others it was a great money maker for the sponsor of the Beer Garden. These days it seems it's ALL FOR THE KIDS. Heaven forbid adults have a beer or glass of wine and enjoy themselves. We have to all pretend we never drink when we're in a public place now so the kiddies will not get a skewed view of the world. Adulthood USED to have it's perks.
Maineah
Your Location solves the Reason Why ?
South Coastal Maine .
Bob

Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Default Independence day!

Happy INDEPENDENCE DAY everyone! Y'know that is the official name of the holiday...

And I call it that. July 4 is a day, but what we are celebrating (at least I hope this is the case...) is our Independence. Which maybe we kinda need to re-think a bit eh?

I think we need to stir up the embers -- if any still remain -- of that spirit of American Can-Do, that strong, independent spirit that led those patriots of yore to dump valuable tea -- that I am sure they drank every morning -- in the harbor and to take up arms against the oppressive British laws.

Where is that spirit of ingenuity that we used to be known for? Why are we not putting it to work now, to become independent of our "addiction" to oil, of our need for more and yet more "stuff" that -- truth be told, we really do not need but buy anyway.

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, but it amazes me that, overall, there is such an attitude of acceptance. "It is what it is" ... how I hate that phrase and attitude... for maybe is is, but does it have to be?

Where is the spirit of American Independence Day in 2008?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Happy INDEPENDENCE DAY everyone! Y'know that is the official name of the holiday...
I think we need to stir up the embers -- if any still remain -- of that spirit of American Can-Do, that strong, independent spirit....Where is that spirit of ingenuity that we used to be known for? Why are we not putting it to work now, to become independent of our "addiction" to oil, of our need for more and yet more "stuff" that -- truth be told, we really do not need but buy anyway.
I've wondered the same thing for years. My parents could do everything with almost nothing - they weren't parsimonious by any means, just didn't waste money or resources. Hiring someone to perform a repair was a rare event indeed. If my dad didn't know how to repair or build something, he researched the subject by talking with people and reading up on it, then experimented (try, try again!) until he accomplished it. My mom was very quiet and gracious, so most people never suspected how strong a person she was, willing to try anything, go anywhere, but always with a practical, thoughtful approach. My DH insisted that the kids be brought up to be responsible, resourceful people.

Just look at any old set of encyclopedias ca 1850-1900 and be amazed at the amount of DIY knowledge. Look around at old farms, farmhouses, barns, what-have-you, and see the ingenuity in construction, usage, and daily life in general.

When I'm in a group of colleagues at work talking about their kids, I'm often left stunned speechless. The amount of money some of these parents spend on buying their kids electronic games, new cell phones, and the newest sports equipment each year is staggering. From what I'm told, the kids don't ask for these things, they demand them. And I've actually heard a parent say, "We can't go on family vacations anymore because little Katie and Jimmy just can't be away from their MySpace and text messages". Holy cow. Has the time come to give prospective parents intelligence tests before allowing them to have children? What about raising the kids to be reasonable, responsible, socially adept adults? Yeah, we all did things as kids that we shouldn't have done, but at least we knew we shouldn't have done them.

The successful future of a country depends upon its citizens to be raised to appreciate the importance of education, social and personal responsibility, and achievement. True achievement requires the ability to think and reason independently.

Here's to independence!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
And I've actually heard a parent say, "We can't go on family vacations anymore because little Katie and Jimmy just can't be away from their MySpace and text messages". Holy cow. Has the time come to give prospective parents intelligence tests before allowing them to have children? What about raising the kids to be reasonable, responsible, socially adept adults? Yeah, we all did things as kids that we shouldn't have done, but at least we knew we shouldn't have done them.

The successful future of a country depends upon its citizens to be raised to appreciate the importance of education, social and personal responsibility, and achievement. True achievement requires the ability to think and reason independently.

Here's to independence!
Well I think we must have raised our kids in similar fashion... I moved to "the boonies" when the kids were young, deliberately... and there was lots of time when they were only with the family (or off by themselves in the fields and woods surrounding us) and when they would whine -- as they did from time to time -- about being "lonely" I explained that one needed a good balance between alone time and time with other folks to truly find -- and then refine -- who you really were.

That is something those kids are not getting. And it is essential, I think, for one to be able to think and reason independently. Otherwise, we might as well be sheep.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Talking Hello STARWALKER!!!!!!! :0) Thank you!!!

NICELY SAID STARWALKER!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST!

We should be saying HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

Because that is what we are really celebrating!!!

I hope that everyone is still celebrating this GREAT HOLIDAY!

Take care everyone!

CHEERS!

Countrylv22

Quote:

And I call it that. July 4 is a day, but what we are celebrating (at least I hope this is the case...) is our Independence. Which maybe we kinda need to re-think a bit eh?

I think we need to stir up the embers -- if any still remain -- of that spirit of American Can-Do, that strong, independent spirit that led those patriots of yore to dump valuable tea -- that I am sure they drank every morning -- in the harbor and to take up arms against the oppressive British laws.

Where is that spirit of ingenuity that we used to be known for? Why are we not putting it to work now, to become independent of our "addiction" to oil, of our need for more and yet more "stuff" that -- truth be told, we really do not need but buy anyway.

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, but it amazes me that, overall, there is such an attitude of acceptance. "It is what it is" ... how I hate that phrase and attitude... for maybe is is, but does it have to be?

Where is the spirit of American Independence Day in 2008?

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0):0):0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0):0) HAPPINESS IS AN INSIDE JOB! PEACE & BLESSINGS! :0:0)

Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Well I think we must have raised our kids in similar fashion... I moved to "the boonies" when the kids were young, deliberately... and there was lots of time when they were only with the family (or off by themselves in the fields and woods surrounding us) and when they would whine -- as they did from time to time -- about being "lonely" I explained that one needed a good balance between alone time and time with other folks to truly find -- and then refine -- who you really were.

That is something those kids are not getting. And it is essential, I think, for one to be able to think and reason independently. Otherwise, we might as well be sheep.
BAA!! Sorry just couldn't resist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine