Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM

346 posts, read 782,524 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea on what a 30x40 shop / garage may cost?
Contractors?

I'm heading up to my new property in about 2 weeks. On the way up I plan on pricing modular homes, and if they are to much money, my B plan is to put up a shop / garage.

Anyone know of any pros / cons with this plan?

Should the shop/garage definately come first?

Thank you!

CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,577,091 times
That's a really broad question. Depends on the contractor and materials. There are plenty of options from yurts to wood to metal or steel and brick & mortar.

Modulars can be multilevel or single story and many alternate building styles can be made in a warehouse and then delivered to your property completely assembled similar but not limited to mobile homes. I looked at modulars and decided they were not for me. I didn't see any real cost savings for what I was looking for - but much depends on your budget and needs.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
That's a really broad question. Depends on the contractor and materials. There are plenty of options from yurts to wood to metal or steel and brick & mortar.

Modulars can be multilevel or single story and many alternate building styles can be made in a warehouse and then delivered to your property completely assembled similar but not limited to mobile homes. I looked at modulars and decided they were not for me. I didn't see any real cost savings for what I was looking for - but much depends on your budget and needs.

Sorry about that. I'm thinking about metal or steel. As far as the modular goes I was thinking about a Ranch, 2 or 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. My budget is LIMITED, so for now it's 1 or the other.

I still need to put in a septic and well, so I have to watch every dollar.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Sorry about that. I'm thinking about metal or steel. As far as the modular goes I was thinking about a Ranch, 2 or 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. My budget is LIMITED, so for now it's 1 or the other.

I still need to put in a septic and well, so I have to watch every dollar.
the first thing i would do is to get your well and septic put in and that will give you a better idea on what your budget will be for the shop or the house.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,223 times
I know a couple of people who went with a garage and shop, down and a gambrel apartment upstairs. Plenty of room for everything for a couple of years.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

653 posts, read 1,909,557 times
try distinctive timber building, i am working with R.J to have it build in Waltham.
his price is very reasonable, kit 32x40 from 14k-19k.i got his name from NMLM
Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea on what a 30x40 shop / garage may cost?
Contractors?

I'm heading up to my new property in about 2 weeks. On the way up I plan on pricing modular homes, and if they are to much money, my B plan is to put up a shop / garage.

Anyone know of any pros / cons with this plan?

Should the shop/garage definately come first?

Thank you!

CS

Last edited by boonelsewhere; 07-07-2008 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: add words

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,431,469 times
Forest beekeeper has a metal building that went up quickly (the frame and siding/roof) and I know from personal experience that steel buildings can be had for as little as $5-7,000 closed in, with just the slab added first and interior finish to be done when you have time. Buildings in that lower price range have 1200 to 1500 sq ft of area.

If you'd like something even lower cost, try some of the ready-made "barn" or "camp" buildings pre-built by a variety of companies including Home Depot. These are max 12-14' wide, but no reason you couldn't combine a couple of them. They are delivered on skids, so are not classed as 'permanent'. If you need something 'permanent' (say, for your bank), you could add a foundation.

I can't imagine anything worth living in that would not cost you at least $5-7,000, but you probably knew that. For the financially stretched, both steel buildings and pre-made 'camps' offer best value for dollar spent. If you need a permanent foundation under the structure, figure another $5-7,000 for a concrete slab.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
the first thing i would do is to get your well and septic put in and that will give you a better idea on what your budget will be for the shop or the house.
Ok, thank you.

I just received an email with local contacts for a septic and well .

Distinctive Timber looks very nice. I was on the phone with SteelMaster (SteelMaster Buildings - Steel Buildings Garages and Carports - Metal Buildings and Roofing Systems), and they had several questions that I couldn't answer, but here's what they said.

A 30x40 22 gauge building approximately $6500.xx. $12,100.xx for 16 gauge. I believe that one is rated for a snow weight in Penobscot County. He mentioned that the area my property is in should be rated for between 56 - 140lbs. ( Any input on this from anyone? )

Thank you for everyone's help~!

CS

Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,305 times
Quote:
Ok, thank you.

I just received an email with local contacts for a septic and well .

Distinctive Timber looks very nice. I was on the phone with SteelMaster (SteelMaster Buildings - Steel Buildings Garages and Carports - Metal Buildings and Roofing Systems), and they had several questions that I couldn't answer, but here's what they said.

A 30x40 22 gauge building approximately $6500.xx. $12,100.xx for 16 gauge. I believe that one is rated for a snow weight in Penobscot County. He mentioned that the area my property is in should be rated for between 56 - 140lbs. ( Any input on this from anyone? )

Thank you for everyone's help~!

CS
right up my aley.when calculating snow load you need to keep in mind that standing snow load is diffrent then live snow load (shifting).
most metal building comp.do not calculate for this.and the perlins colaps.
i will dm you with a web site if i can find it some where in my office.it will tell you all you need to no about snow load and metal buildings.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
right up my aley.when calculating snow load you need to keep in mind that standing snow load is diffrent then live snow load (shifting).
most metal building comp.do not calculate for this.and the perlins colaps.
i will dm you with a web site if i can find it some where in my office.it will tell you all you need to no about snow load and metal buildings.

Very good, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: