U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 AM

448 posts, read 718,350 times

Advertisements

Gosh what I would give for just 1/4 of the rain you folks have been getting this summer! My grass is like tinder. My parents (Cape Elizabeth) told me you are getting some scorchers lately---80 degrees. That's what we in Raleigh call autumn. What's the deal with no A/C in NE? Every time I visit my parents in ME in the summer, it is hot and humid with giant flies. We all have to bunk in the basement just to keep cool. Cape cod houses get so hot in the summer! I am starting to think the, "We only get one to two hot weeks" statement is a myth. Go figure, with my dual zone A/C, screened-in-porch, and subdivision pool, summer is a breeze in NC. My retired folks now come here to escape the hot Maine weather.

Please send us some rain here in the farrrrrr Down East...G@d know you don't need it...

Last edited by NCInMyMind; 08-01-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,738,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Gosh what I would give for just 1/4 of the rain you folks have been getting this summer! My grass is like tinder. My parents (Cape Elizabeth) told me you are getting some scorchers lately---80 degrees. That's what we in Raleigh call autumn. What's the deal with no A/C in NE? Every time I visit my parents in ME in the summer, it is hot and humid with giant flies. We all have to bunk in the basement just to keep cool. Cape cod houses get so hot in the summer! I am starting to think the, "We only get one to two hot weeks" statement is a myth. Go figure, with my dual zone A/C, screened-in-porch, and subdivision pool, summer is a breeze in NC. My retired folks now come here to escape the hot Maine weather.

Please send us some rain here in the farrrrrr Down East...G@d know you don't need it...
Are your parents on the ocean in Cape Elizabeth? I can't imagine needing A/C living right on the water. We're only a few miles from the water as the crow flies in Freeport and we rarely if ever need A/C. It was in the mid 80's here at noon but as soon as the tide shifted and the wind freshened from the south it dropped to 75 degrees and is quite pleasant outside now at 5:30 PM.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM

701 posts, read 649,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post

Hmmmm, funny..........it's down right soggy here to the west of you you can have some of our rain!

Have you considered visiting your parents in another season besides summer? Fall is a nice time of year in Maine.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 AM

6 posts, read 8,629 times
Funny you should mention sitting out on the porch and that it would be the bugs that would run you back inside, now although that is one of reason's that someone could be chased off of the porch, I would submit that with a 95〫temperature @10pm may just trump any of the bugs, just a thought...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 852,858 times
How do you feel about 110 in the shade? That's what my friends back in Texas have been telling me every time I talk to them. I'm lovin' this weather! And we're moving to our new house in the middle of it. At least it's finally stopped raining all the time. We've had some really good weather for the bicentennial. As for sittin' on porches, I LOVE my sun porch! Too warm by midday most of the time, but when the temps aren't as warm, it's a great place for a nap.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM

21,917 posts, read 28,821,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212
How do you feel about 110 in the shade? That's what my friends back in Texas have been telling me every time I talk to them.
Most of my relatives are in California, 100+ degrees more often than not.

Quote:
... I'm lovin' this weather!
Me too!

Quote:
... And we're moving to our new house in the middle of it. At least it's finally stopped raining all the time. We've had some really good weather for the bicentennial.
That sounds great!

Quote:
... As for sittin' on porches, I LOVE my sun porch! Too warm by midday most of the time, but when the temps aren't as warm, it's a great place for a nap.
Too many projects here [finishing our house, gardening, livestock, etc] I would love to be done and have a sun porch to nap in.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 852,858 times
In Texas, we had to run from the house to the car to stay under the AC. Here, my husband laughed when he found that the house had two window units. I've learned the trick of watching the indoor/outdoor thermometer and opening and closing the windows to keep the house cool. I actually had to get under the covers last night. We've used the AC once, on a day when I still hadn't figured out the trick of closing the windows to keep the cool air in.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM

37 posts, read 62,071 times
Big thunderstorms every night....

... waiting for the first one of the season to hit in Falmouth! (pathetic)

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM

8,759 posts, read 11,738,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering yank View Post
Big thunderstorms every night....

... waiting for the first one of the season to hit in Falmouth! (pathetic)
They went out to the south of us! I like thunderbumpers too. No sunspots no thundershowers!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:39 PM

160 posts, read 449,713 times
Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine