Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM

400 posts, read 794,789 times

Advertisements

...and want to go back right away.

I'll get on here a little later to talk in more detail about our vacation/house hunting trip and post some pictures -- I have 14 rolls to get developed (35mm snob) -- but I will say it was a successful journey in many ways. We got to meet Molly, MEnMe, Peachie, MaineWriter, Corgis and WillB, as well as some of my friends from MySpace. All in all, we turned about 10-15 e-friends in to r-l friends

More later since we just got off the road and have immediately started ripping up carpets and calling relatives to help further spruce up our Reading house (we no longer our think of it as home ) so we can get it on the market ASAP (no later than 7/31).

We did get a typical meeting from our neighbors on our return - they ingored us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM

222 posts, read 529,820 times
Default I know the feeling

I know how it feels to leave Eastport and your heart behind and return to a city elsewhere. The year before we moved permanently to Maine I came up to Eastport, stayed at the most wonderful B & B for 10 days, was offered a job and found a house. But, sadly the whole economic timing was off and I had to go back to Texas and wait and wait for the Texas house to sell. It was a long year, and finally I said I was not waiting anymore (house did not sell)-economics be dammed! We packed up-gave the realtors the key and left Texas(luckily the house sold eventually). But I understand how you feel leaving- it is like a piece of your heart is missing when you are living away from a place you know is home. I wish you well in your travels back!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I thought of you yesterday, knowing you wouldn't want to leave. Come home soon!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post
...and want to go back right away.

I'll get on here a little later to talk in more detail about our vacation/house hunting trip and post some pictures -- I have 14 rolls to get developed (35mm snob) -- but I will say it was a successful journey in many ways. We got to meet Molly, MEnMe, Peachie, MaineWriter, Corgis and WillB, as well as some of my friends from MySpace. All in all, we turned about 10-15 e-friends in to r-l friends

More later since we just got off the road and have immediately started ripping up carpets and calling relatives to help further spruce up our Reading house (we no longer our think of it as home ) so we can get it on the market ASAP (no later than 7/31).

We did get a typical meeting from our neighbors on our return - they ingored us
Well how do I say... "

"I'm happy for your safe arrival.. so now.......
...get in the car and come back."
~Tap and I are suppose to go shopping.

Here's hoping you sell quickly and get your son registered for school here and so we can have a end of year bar b q at your new home too. (I'll bring pasta salad)
It was really great to meet you both on Tuesday.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
I know how it feels to leave Eastport and your heart behind and return to a city elsewhere. The year before we moved permanently to Maine I came up to Eastport, stayed at the most wonderful B & B for 10 days, was offered a job and found a house. But, sadly the whole economic timing was off and I had to go back to Texas and wait and wait for the Texas house to sell. It was a long year, and finally I said I was not waiting anymore (house did not sell)-economics be dammed! We packed up-gave the realtors the key and left Texas(luckily the house sold eventually). But I understand how you feel leaving- it is like a piece of your heart is missing when you are living away from a place you know is home. I wish you well in your travels back!!
Boy, can we relate! Except for the giving the realtor the keys and hightailing it. We sure would if we could though!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 PM

312 posts, read 725,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Well how do I say... "

"I'm happy for your safe arrival.. so now.......
...get in the car and come back."
~Tap and I are suppose to go shopping.

Here's hoping you sell quickly and get your son registered for school here and so we can have a end of year bar b q at your new home too. (I'll bring pasta salad)
It was really great to meet you both on Tuesday.
Yes, lookin' forward to our shopping trip!!! 'Twas great to meet you, too, Peachie!!!

*Tap* (missin' Eastport already)

Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 PM

400 posts, read 794,789 times
Some good news on the Reading front - we ripped up the carpet (1970s shag) in the living room and the steps and found beautiful hard wood floors. We knew they were there, but we were afraid of their condition - no worries there. Now all I have to do is gingerly remove a few staples, use some Old English, and we have floors that people would die for (or at least buy a house for).

We had a friend come over and paint while we were in Eastport and he did a great job on the ceilings and the walls, but had to wait for the carpet to be gone to do the trim. Some more painting, a few more things to fix, some serious cleaning and "stuff removal", and we'll be in great shape.

Now, since I've gotten used to Eastport time - bed at 9:00 or 10:00, up at 5:00 - I think I'll retire to my bed and have visions of Rosie's hot dogs dance through my head

Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
Glad you made it safely back to PA. I see Eastport bug bit you quite hard! I am off for Eastport this Friday morning. Glad you met MenME. I am probably going to have to drag her back to Florida in a few weeks, but I am not in the least bit of a hurry. There are wonderful people up there and I am ready to be there. This week will move quickly, but not quick enough.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I'll be in Perry on business this Friday. Maybe I'll get a chance to stop at Peachie's again.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I'll be in Perry on business this Friday. Maybe I'll get a chance to stop at Peachie's again.
If your timing is right MEnME and her husband will be stopping in around 6ish. Wouldn't that be great.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-21-2008 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine