U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM

13 posts, read 51,715 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to try out some Maine lobster when I visit in October and I was wondering if you could recommend a place to get good, but fairly cheap, lobster. We'll be in the Bangor area most of the time, but we definitely want to visit the coast too so don't feel like you need to restrict your suggestions to one particular area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 AM

278 posts, read 490,915 times
McDonalds sometimes has lobster rolls.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,104,004 times
Rollie's Bar & Grill in Belfast had a great lobster roll for $9.99. I'm sure you'll find great, reasonable choices all along the coast.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM

278 posts, read 490,915 times
The best "shacks" are probably in Trenton, just before Acadia Nat'l Park, though they may not be the cheapest places. As Elcarim says, you just gotta poke around a bit.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM

34,206 posts, read 11,418,346 times
Cheap and Lobster don't often go together in the same sentence.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,699,446 times
Harraseekett Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport is Real nice. There's nothing fancy about the place and you can eat in or outside. You can pick up some wine or beer at the South Freeport Variety before heading to Harraseeket. They allow you to bring beer and wine to have with your lobster but they don't sell it. I recommend eating inside near sunset as the midges get nasty by the water at that time of day.
There is also a little place in Cundy's Harbor which is similar in it's setup to Harraseekett. Lobsters and shore dinners on the warf with a little grocery store nearby to get a beer to go with your dinner.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,870,847 times
Default Southern Coastal Maine

I have to agree with Maineah (as usual) on Harraseeket Lunch in South Freeport . Clarification for those from away: it is NOT the same place as The Harraseeket Inn on Main St. Big price difference there.

The place in Cundys Harbor overlooking the water is called Holbrooks Wharf. There is another lobster shack down there before you get to the water, it is cheap but has no water view and the mosquitos are pretty thick.

Another sugesstion, Five Islands has two places where you can sit outside on the wharf watching the local lobsterman bring in fresh lobster. I love Five Isands. It's a nice little ride down there from Bath towards Georgetown. Follow the signs down to the cutest little fishing village. There are no little shops or boutiques down there so it's pretty quiet. I often went down by boat which is also fun for those of you in the area looking for a nice place to dock up.

Maineah, can you remember the name of the place in Townsend Gut? That's another great dining by boat destination. I can't remember the name, but by car head towards Boothbay and then bear right just before you get into the village towards Southport, I believe. Boothbay also has a few cheaper places like the Lobstermans co-op on the water. It's on the East side.

These places are all very casual dining and great lunch places as well. For heavens sake, don't get all dolled up to go out and eat lobster. You're going to get messy if you're doing it right!

Enjoy!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I have to agree with Maineah (as usual) on Harraseeket Lunch in South Freeport . Clarification for those from away: it is NOT the same place as The Harraseeket Inn on Main St. Big price difference there.

The place in Cundys Harbor overlooking the water is called Holbrooks Wharf. There is another lobster shack down there before you get to the water, it is cheap but has no water view and the mosquitos are pretty thick.

Another sugesstion, Five Islands has two places where you can sit outside on the wharf watching the local lobsterman bring in fresh lobster. I love Five Isands. It's a nice little ride down there from Bath towards Georgetown. Follow the signs down to the cutest little fishing village. There are no little shops or boutiques down there so it's pretty quiet. I often went down by boat which is also fun for those of you in the area looking for a nice place to dock up.

Maineah, can you remember the name of the place in Townsend Gut? That's another great dining by boat destination. I can't remember the name, but by car head towards Boothbay and then bear right just before you get into the village towards Southport, I believe. Boothbay also has a few cheaper places like the Lobstermans co-op on the water. It's on the East side.

These places are all very casual dining and great lunch places as well. For heavens sake, don't get all dolled up to go out and eat lobster. You're going to get messy if you're doing it right!

Enjoy!
No Ms. Mermaid, I don't remember the name of the place but I do recall patronizing it. We bought our last boat at Pierce Yacht Co in Boothbay, (it wasn't a yacht by the way) They sent us to have lunch (on them) at this cute little place in Southport near some marina they dealt with.
It is exactly as you described like many little eateries scattered along the coast. Really nice people... as was Pierce Yacht Company. The mid coast as they call it, is a really beautiful section of the coast. There are secluded towns that seldom see tourists due to the fact that if you don't know where you're going you'll think you're lost and turn back!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM

8,267 posts, read 2,227,175 times
A rule for me regarding lobster shacks is a simple one. The lobster shack must be cooking the lobster outside, and on a wood fire. To me the lobster just tastes better cooked outdoors, and over a wood fire.

Of course, lobster is not cheap. Lots of places along Route 1 going towards Eastport. I also recommend the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound on Rt 3, going onto Mt Desert Island/Acadia Nat'l Park, which isn't too far from Bangor at all. It's on the right side just befor the bridge going onto the island. In the past, the owners were very nice, not sure if the ownership is the same anymore though. Besides great lobster, great views. Typically Maine coast looking, and I would not view it as a tourist trap.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Most places use propane to cook the lobsters. It's far too hot in the summer to use wood to boil water.
I don't think wood smoke seeps into the boiling pot at anyrate so the wood effect would be minimal at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine