Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,379,083 times

Advertisements

I found a map of Maine counties and filled in the population of each. I couldn't believe the disparity between Piscataquis and the rest. I've lived in Piscataquis and York counties. From the second highest in population to the lowest. I loved both equally. After all, Maine is Maine. I think this visual will help those who have questions about where to move in Maine too.

I've posted before about how little change I've seen in Dover Foxcroft after all these years. From looking at the county population at just under 18k, it's no wonder how slow things are to change.

I was wondering how much tourism each county gets compared to another. I would imagine that tiny populated Piscataquis gets a lot percentage wise because of Katadin and Moosehead Lake. Also, if other native Mainers have always lived in one area most of their lives or have moved around the state. If you have, what county was your best fit and why?

Total 1,321,000 Mainers in the 2006 census. If you took out all of the Piscataquis population, you'd hardly notice it. Maine would still have 1.3 mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,325,798 times
I'm in Washington County, have only lived in this county. From what I see around me, our tourist attraction is our main artery into Canada for travelers and on their way through notice the cozy
fishing towns,
peaceful forrests and
simple culture that reminds them to pass this way and stop and smell the roses.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: and r

Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,752,925 times
Only lived in Aroostook County.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,341,013 times
I lived in Hancock, Penobscot, and Androscoggin.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,563,200 times
Piscataquis got hammered hard, in the 80s and 90s because many of the towns lost their one to three mills that employed the residents. The rest of the area is farming and logging; that has taken a dive also. The ghost towns are just starting to come back, but are a shell of their former selves.

The Northern environs have always been tourist dependent. That has usually been recession proof, but were are fighting the carbon credit crowd for the right to use our land as we wish.

Up here in Greenville, we have a 150 year tradition of tourism. That takes the edge off some of the manufacturing and logging over the last couple of decades, somewhat.

The problem is the vision of the "eco-tourists," who want to come up with their kayaks and think it's their right not to see another house or camp, other than their own.

They do not mind gating off their "kingdom lots," (read Quimby, Appalachian Mountain Club); but heaven forbid, a private corporation or individual would want to develop anything they own!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,379,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Piscataquis got hammered hard, in the 80s and 90s because many of the towns lost their one to three mills that employed the residents.
I remember all the closings as I had relatives who worked in them. Currently I have a brother working in Guilford at Interface. He told me that he would get retraining if he had to leave, for any reason. Even though his company may be sound as a whole, you never know if any company will downsize. Sounds like he's already got a contingency plan. Like most people who live in central Maine, you'd better have a back up plan.

All three of my immediate family that have returned to Maine in the last few years have made the transition well. Even though there were many challenges with climate, funds and employment issues, all three are living much better than they did out here. One is even building a small house.

Hopefully, I can make the transition as easily as them when I get to retire. Or, just take a long holiday first, until retirement.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,344,028 times
Piscataquis and Penobscot, smack dab in the middle of the State....

Old 07-25-2008, 07:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,188,269 times
aroostook&somerset

Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,439,657 times
Sagadahoc, Cumberland and still own (and pay taxes in) Knox!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I remember all the closings as I had relatives who worked in them. Currently I have a brother working in Guilford at Interface. He told me that he would get retraining if he had to leave, for any reason. Even though his company may be sound as a whole, you never know if any company will downsize. Sounds like he's already got a contingency plan. Like most people who live in central Maine, you'd better have a back up plan.

All three of my immediate family that have returned to Maine in the last few years have made the transition well. Even though there were many challenges with climate, funds and employment issues, all three are living much better than they did out here. One is even building a small house.

Hopefully, I can make the transition as easily as them when I get to retire. Or, just take a long holiday first, until retirement.
I remember when Guilford Industries got taken over by Interface. The president is quite an environmentally conscious dude. They cleaned up the place and went green wherever they could.

The Piscataquis river doesn't change color every other day, now and fly fishing is good.

One of the spool mills moved to Clinton completely and the other is just a remnant of it's former self. Ditto for Moosehead Manufacturing in Monson. In Greenville, we had a couple of saw mills and a plywood mill. All gone.

In Dexter, you had Fayscot and Dexter shoe. Willimantic used to have a spool mill, back toward the end of the 19th century. It lasted just a few years, until the birch disappeared in the vicinity. Their cabinets are highly prized and run up to a grand. Sort of like deja vu all over again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine