Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastofmaine View Post
Hey Lovemaine.

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. Don't worry about rambling, I tend to ramble myself sometimes. Believe it or not we lived in Wake County before we moved to Chapel Hill. We saw what was happening and decided if we were going to try to make this work we needed to move out of Wake County. Needless to say even though my kids are on a traditional school calender, we still miss home. We are looking in the Portland area only because of the few relatives we have left are in MA and NH. We had seriously considered Belfast when my son was young but it was just too far from my dad when he was alive. Belfast is a neat town. Let me ask you a question. What are your thoughts about energy costs in moving back, in particular heat and electric? Have you done any comparisons? Just curious on your feedback. Take care.
Hi there!

We're going to rent for the first year. I've been checking online, and there are always rentals available that include heat. That way we won't have to worry about the cost of oil for a while. In WI, we used to pay around $250 a month in the winter for gas (that was 3 years ago). Plus another $100 or so for electricity. We know it'll be more for oil in ME, but when we do buy a house, it'll be a small one that's well insulated. We don't need much. Our kids are still younger, but eventually they'll move out (I think!?!), and then we don't want to be stuck with a big house anyway.

What part of Wake County did you live in? We lived in Apex for a short time when we first moved to NC, then we bought a house in Holly Springs.

I hope everything works out for you and your family! When are you thinking about moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 AM

22 posts, read 57,611 times
Good for you. If it is an early spring you just catch the beginning of mud season in March. You also get a get a big whiff of a snow storm which puts another great variable in the works. There is no better way to get a feel for the place than mud season or a good heavy, wet snow in March. Not too many tourists and people starting to come out of hibernation. Mainers with money will most likely be heading south to warm their bones and relax their joints. You truly have picked an excellent time to visit.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield01 View Post
Good for you. If it is an early spring you just catch the beginning of mud season in March. You also get a get a big whiff of a snow storm which puts another great variable in the works. There is no better way to get a feel for the place than mud season or a good heavy, wet snow in March. Not too many tourists and people starting to come out of hibernation. Mainers with money will most likely be heading south to warm their bones and relax their joints. You truly have picked an excellent time to visit.
Thanks! We think so too! Several friends are questioning our sanity because we're going to Maine "at that time of year". We've been to Maine in late spring and early summer. Time to experience something different. And being from WI, it really won't be that much of a surprise. We're just happy to be there, no matter what time of year!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
... We're just happy to be there, no matter what time of year!
Thats the attitude

Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Thats the attitude

Thanks, forest! That's wicked nice of you!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Thanks, forest! That's wicked nice of you!
This is too easy.

It takes a truly wicked cool person to say:
Quote:
... So excited, I can hardly stand it!!!

Or
Quote:
... The weather sounds great! I know my kids will love mud season! Thanks again for your help!

Or
Quote:
We're counting down the days too, and I'm absolutely positive that we'll enjoy our stay

Or what about the wicked neatness of this one:
Quote:
we are SO wicked excited! MAINE, HERE WE COME! YEEEEHAWWW!

And then you are so full of wicked coolness that you just about lose control of yourself here:
Quote:
LOL! I just couldn't control my excitement. Trust me, I never use yeeeehawwww in real life.

And here we see a different wicked side of you:
Quote:
Can't wait to bundle up and breathe in some cold Maine air!

and then:
Quote:
we really do miss the real winters, cold, snow, and all. Crazy, huh?

You will fit right in with:
Quote:
Several friends are questioning our sanity because we're going to Maine "at that time of year". We've been to Maine in late spring and early summer. ... We're just happy to be there, no matter what time of year!

No Missy Miss, you are wicked nice, can't wait to see you here.

Too bad that you will be missing the Bangor meet at the Seadog 'suds and slurp', we will have to re-schedule another meet when you get here.

Last edited by Submariner; 08-15-2008 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: grammsr and spellnig

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 PM

Awww, forest, you are as nice as your beard is long! Thank you for this! You made my day! (I'm sure my exuberance will only grow in the coming months, so watch out!) A late Feb. meet-up sounds wonderful! My family and I would love to meet whoever shows up!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 24,772 times
Quote:
Hi there!

We're going to rent for the first year. I've been checking online, and there are always rentals available that include heat. That way we won't have to worry about the cost of oil for a while. In WI, we used to pay around $250 a month in the winter for gas (that was 3 years ago). Plus another $100 or so for electricity. We know it'll be more for oil in ME, but when we do buy a house, it'll be a small one that's well insulated. We don't need much. Our kids are still younger, but eventually they'll move out (I think!?!), and then we don't want to be stuck with a big house anyway.

What part of Wake County did you live in? We lived in Apex for a short time when we first moved to NC, then we bought a house in Holly Springs.

I hope everything works out for you and your family! When are you thinking about moving?

Hey Lovemaine!

With the kids getting back to school things got a little crazy for awhile. I meant to respond much sooner. Plus I was having withdrawals from missing Maine after being up in the Blue Hill area for almost 4 weeks with
family and friends.

We use to live in Wake Forest when we first moved down here. No sooner did we move there and travel over to Chapel Hill for the day and said if we are going to make it work here we need to move to Chapel Hill. It feels a little more like New England. So we did. We like it a lot better than Wake Forest but it is still not like HOME. I am so glad we left Wake Forest because of the redistricting of schools and the possibility of year round schools. It was getting out of control over there. Now my kids are in traditional schools that have regular schools calenders. We are still not too sure about the schools though. My son just started high school in Chatham County and the verdict is still out. He really wants to move back up to Maine. We are hoping and praying that within the year we can makes changes to be back in Maine. We are contemplating the idea of renting too. That way we can get the kids in school and then decide on something without feeling rushed and look at all possibilities.

I know we have to be patient but the mindset down here just wants me to move ASAP. Don't get me wrong. I have met some absolutely wonderful people that I feel I will keep in touch with the rest of my life but it's different. I miss the smells of the ocean and the mountains something awful. People must think we have just lost our minds to think of moving up north but they just don't "get it". We don't want them up there. They'll start building these 1000-2000 home subdivisions at 4000-6000 sq ft. It's crazy. I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Anyway enough of my bantering. It's getting harder to find that quality of life in a small town today. Maine gets some negative feedback especially with the economy right now, but New Englanders are resourceful people. We manage to be tough when we have to be and we pull together. If you have a chance to read a great book that will make you appreciate this read COME SPRING. It takes place after the Revolutionary War when English settlers were settling up in Maine and making there own life and starting towns. It is an amazing read at what they endured but the love they had for the land, the seasons and the starting of communities. It makes you appreciate the mentality and the perseverance they had with the vision and the hope of the future. Life isn't that primative now anywhere but Maine still has areas where one can find that simplicity and quality of life. Maine should be proud of that. It's a heritage that the people are not willing to give up or sell out totally like a lot of places in the US. I'm a true New Engalnder and am proud of it. I realize that more and more as I currently live here in NC. I took it for granted never living anywhere else before, but now I realize. Sometimes it takes living away from home to truly realize what you have and know what's truly in your heart. You can't just visit a place.

I'll try to keep in touch better. Hope the kids are adjusting to school ok.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Hi Coastofmaine!

I totally understand how busy we all get! Same here. My kids are tracked out right now, so we've been on the go a lot these past few weeks. I tried to find the book you recommended on the Wake County library database, but I couldn't find it. Do you happen to know the author? It sounds very interesting. Since I love all things Maine and I love to read, I'd really like to get my hands on it.

I know exactly what you mean about the sprawl here in NC. It's just out of control. Even with the housing market slow-down, there are still subdivisions going up left and right. I just hope we don't have a hard time selling when the time comes! It's all about pricing and timing I guess. Neighbors and friends think we're crazy too for wanting to move back up north. But the heart wants what it wants, right?

Staying in touch sounds great to me too! Feel free to contact me on the City-Data direct message system if you'd like. I usually log on at least once a day when I'm not too busy. Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine