Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times

Advertisements

depends on how you want to live if you wanto live high on the hog $100,000 a year if you wanto live low budget 10,000 but look at the guy that makes 10,000 he is just as happy as the guy with 100,000 granted he'd like to have more money but he makes do.as the ol sayin goes money dont buy happyness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
I have had many years I have made $60-$600k/year and average a $20k loss annually. It all depends on how you manage the books. I have never been without the essentials in 24 years here. I know plenty of families who make $12-20k and still have toys and a life. It depends on what you want out of life!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Hmmm, so one could come to the conclusion that money, taxes, cost of gas and food, etc. has very little to do with "quality of life".

Interesting concept! You guys are fantastic!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Hmmm, so one could come to the conclusion that money, taxes, cost of gas and food, etc. has very little to do with "quality of life".

Cute.

I have made significantly more money at times in my life, previous to moving to Maine.

Our decision to move to Maine was not based on income, or taxes, or the cost of gas. Though I think that it was still a good decision.

Neither of us had ever visited Maine, before we decided to move here.

We decided to retire here, based entirely on Maine being 'rural' and the low prices of land.

Though yes, 'quality of life' has no connection to money.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
We do Ok. We have a house that's paid off, no CC debt, no car payments,one child in college. We live in a higher tax area than we'd like ...by choice.
We're not rich though if we need something we can buy it.
I do work, though not often....I don't have to. DW makes good money. Combined we're probably at 120k give or take.
We go out to eat when we want to, usually two or three times a month. DW helps the kids with clothes, rent if necessary and insurances and fuel for their cars plus we bought the cars for the kids that they drive now. They won't get another one!!
We can and have lived with a lot less. I actually believe that when we had a tighter budget we were just as happy as we are now.
It's all relative. If you have more you spend more. When you get to the point where you can buy any car you want, the boat, the cottage on the lake etc you find that all that stuff is no big deal and end up settling for more modest accoutrements.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I jumped into this one late. We have been busy. We are essentially debt free and choose to live that way. We save up for stuff and take advantage when we can, such as the "economic stimulus wood splitter; Made in the USA". The original question at the top of Page 1 was a lifestyle question. Some people rise like a skyrocket and end with a big flash. Everybody goes oooh and ah. Observers don't see the giant debt load. Those flashy folks are in for a rude awakening for the next five years or so.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Everything is relative. Maine is a good place to start out for the entrepreneurial types. Most people will have several "irons in the fire," unless they have a career path. If you have several businesses going, you can file schedule C's, F's, etc and make the books work in your favor. Many fortunes have been made starting at home. Maine Biz always has a success story.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
Maine is a great place to live. It all depends on what you're looking for as to what yearly income you will need. The options are wide open. In Southern Maine it's more pricey but if frugality is your game you can do it if you work at it. If you don't mind living a bit in the country away from the malls you can live very comfortable on a small income, land is very, very affordable. Happiness can be had by all here in Maine just keep an open mind and don't rule out the different choices.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

el, you are so right.... money doesnt make ya happy, just more nervous,,

most mainers i know that do have money, you'd never know it, they are not flashy at all, in fact they go out of there way not to be arrogant ,,,,,most mainers despise arrogance, and snobs,,,

Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
el, you are so right.... money doesnt make ya happy, just more nervous,,

most mainers i know that do have money, you'd never know it, they are not flashy at all, in fact they go out of there way not to be arrogant ,,,,,most mainers despise arrogance, and snobs,,,

MBM, I owe you rep on this one. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine