U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,707,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
With all due respect, 100 years ago today our society did not have public funded free elementary schools.

'We' began taxing individual incomes in 1940, and using that money to employ folks [building roads, teaching in schools, and making hydro-electric dams].

Our nation had no coast-to-coast system of roadways. Each local community was responsible for it's own roads, if they wished to have any. Etc.

Grammar schools [two of my grandparents taught in grammar schools] were 'funded' by the donation of local families.

Poor folk were helped by the churches.
Well there were schools around here since the 1700's so someone paid for them.

Even if you don't take the 100 years idea literally the point is education changes are slow in coming and even slower to get rid of when proven to be detrimental.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM

278 posts, read 491,130 times
Has this otherwise reasonable topic finally degraded to the point of no return?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,778,227 times
I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I think I'm in the minority. I think laptops are beneficial. I remember 20 years ago when I started hearing about a paperless society. Pffft....uh huh. Well, here it comes. Our paperless society is growing at a pace that's shutting down paper mills. Technology changes quickly. The world is getting smaller thanks to computerization. If we don't teach our kids how to use this resource they're going to fall behind. When they fall behind there will be people who blame public schools for not keeping up even though they complained about having the resource available. I know education is expensive but ignorance is most costly.

Kids aren't writing on slates, they're not using dictionaries and they're not on the phone gabbing for hours anymore. This is the computer age. Falling behind isn't acceptable.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM

My take on the laptop thing is it is more feel good legislation.
Are there places that could benefit from the use of lap tops for their kid's use?
Certainly. Though not too many around here in Cumberland County.
90% of the kids in this area have home computers. Issuing laptops to all of them is expensive and unnecessary. Many parents refused to sign the responsibility waiver when they found out they might be on the hook for a grand if little Johnny destroyed his State issued laptop. Without the waiver the computers just stayed at school. Why even hassle with them? A couple dozen PC's in a computer lab for the kids who don't have home computers should have been sufficient. Plus they're Apples. I never understood why the education world uses Apples and the entire rest of the world( 95%) use the IBM based PC format.
That's a great way to teach kids. Learn on the Apples then when you get to the real world learn it over on the PC's. And yes I realize there isn't much difference now though education has always traditionally used Apple computers and there used to be a huge difference between the two operating systems.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,895,183 times
Probably because the taxpayer funded educational community could AFFORD the Apple.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Probably because the taxpayer funded educational community could AFFORD the Apple.
Probably true. You can buy a pc based laptop for about 1/3 the cost of a comparible Apple laptop.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM

I think the laptop program served a useful purpose at the time (initiated 8 - 10 years ago) and now, due to the now significantly wider spread availability of computers than 10 years ago, the program should sunset, as a statewide program, but that could be continued on a local level, if the locality so wishes and agrees to fund.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
I think the laptop program served a useful purpose at the time (initiated 8 - 10 years ago) and now, due to the now significantly wider spread availability of computers than 10 years ago, the program should sunset, as a statewide program, but that could be continued on a local level, if the locality so wishes and agrees to fund.
I agree!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I think I'm in the minority. I think laptops are beneficial. I remember 20 years ago when I started hearing about a paperless society. Pffft....uh huh. Well, here it comes. Our paperless society is growing at a pace that's shutting down paper mills. Technology changes quickly. The world is getting smaller thanks to computerization. If we don't teach our kids how to use this resource they're going to fall behind. When they fall behind there will be people who blame public schools for not keeping up even though they complained about having the resource available. I know education is expensive but ignorance is most costly.

Kids aren't writing on slates, they're not using dictionaries and they're not on the phone gabbing for hours anymore. This is the computer age. Falling behind isn't acceptable.
Good analysis.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Cell phones today have more computing power and access to the web than any laptop did just two years ago.
The I-Phone (and clones) are making the laptop obsolete in a hurry. Laptops will be like writing slates long before the legislature catches up on the current technology. The laptops will sit on the shelves while the kids use the newest and best technology available.
Unless a kid lives in a box somewhere they cannot avoid this technology anyway so why legislate the inevitable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine