Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

We got so much rain last night it flooded our cellar. We Never get water in the cellar in the summer unless there happens to be a hurricane. We're close to losing the oil burner as the sump pump can't seem to get ahead of the water coming in and it's still raining hard. We also had the water come into the ridge vent behind the chimney and leak into the linen closet.

My wife just called and said there were streams overflowing the road and she is having trouble finding a way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:52 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,624 times
Oh no! I hope it stops soon.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
I saw the flooding on the news this morning. Hope everyone gets through this safely.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 AM

182 posts, read 490,864 times
2008 = The year of 2'nd mud season.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We got so much rain last night it flooded our cellar. We Never get water in the cellar in the summer unless there happens to be a hurricane. We're close to losing the oil burner as the sump pump can't seem to get ahead of the water coming in and it's still raining hard. We also had the water come into the ridge vent behind the chimney and leak into the linen closet.

My wife just called and said there were streams overflowing the road and she is having trouble finding a way to work.
Good Luck.

Everything is saturated. The Lake is way up, the rivers are way up. The State wants to do some work on the 1st Roach dam. The Loggers were working right through mud season this year. The wood yards are much muddier now. I have been putting off my roof replacement until this fall. It's leaking in places it never has.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post

Call a Carpet Cleaner with a truck mounted unit and ask him to come over and pump out your cellar.

I do it all the time for folks at a reasonable cost during times like this. It's what our equipment does...

You can also get the shop vac out and start bailing as fast as you can.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:33 AM

The police have closed route 125 which is the primary route close to our house. We now have to drive to Brunswick to get to route one and Downtown Freeport. There are about a dozen streets closed in Freeport now. The Androscoggin River in Durham is dangerously close to overflowing it's banks on the River Road, Rte. 136.
Many dirt roads are washed out completely in Pownal and Freeport. The sump pump in the cellar was making some headway for a while, now it's raining buckets again!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Call a Carpet Cleaner with a truck mounted unit and ask him to come over and pump out your cellar.

I do it all the time for folks at a reasonable cost during times like this. It's what our equipment does...

You can also get the shop vac out and start bailing as fast as you can.
The sump pump is holding it's own now but I'm afraid it will burn out so I'm watching it closely. It had initially dropped the water about an inch but it's raining so hard again I'll probably lose that gain. It's been running constantly for about 6 hours now. I have a sprinkler pump I can add if it starts to lose ground again. It's pulling out about 40 gallons a minute.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Wow! I just saw some pics. You guys are getting pounded down there today. This is not good.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
I am sorry Maineah. This has been a terribly wet summer. I hope the rain lets up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine