Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,268 times

Advertisements

Maine does rank 49th in job growth an job creation,I love this state an don't want to move but I'm gonna have no choice but to move. If are elected officials did there job like they are elected to do instead of there special interest,an if we the people did a better job doing our homework when we vote the people into office,an not just what the tell us there going to do an never do it,we the people would be doing much better,so if anybody knows of any company hiring in sales or something to do with F&I please let me know. Thank you!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzack View Post
Maine does rank 49th in job growth an job creation,I love this state an don't want to move but I'm gonna have no choice but to move. If are elected officials did there job like they are elected to do instead of there special interest,an if we the people did a better job doing our homework when we vote the people into office,an not just what the tell us there going to do an never do it,we the people would be doing much better,so if anybody knows of any company hiring in sales or something to do with F&I please let me know. Thank you!!!!!!
the state of maine is maines largest employer

try knocking on the door to that behemoth-good pay, great benefits, good hours..

once you are in,,,, you are in....

Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkemp View Post
the one thing that I remember when I grew up in maine is that we grew everythjing we needed and that is what most people do there. Shoot a deer in the fall and fill the freezer full of deer meat. your own chickens so you always had fresh eggs, your own cow for milk, and cream for butter. You cut your own wood on your land for heat. And you also can cook on the wood stove that helped on the light bill.
Much of Maine is still as you describe.

I know a lot of people who have a freezer full of deer/moose/bear meat. Maine is also known for fresh eggs, raw milk, wood heat, ...

Quote:
... To me I thought 5 years ago that it was cheaper living in Maine then where we are now.

Property is cheap in NC for a 1 acre with an old mobile home its over $60,000 in Michigan it was $50,000 so we went with Michigan but in Maine we had 2 acres and a house for $17,000
I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzack View Post
Maine does rank 49th in job growth an job creation,I love this state an don't want to move but I'm gonna have no choice but to move.
Maine is better suited to us retirees.

Quote:
... If are elected officials did there job like they are elected to do instead of there special interest, an if we the people did a better job doing our homework when we vote the people into office, an not just what the tell us there going to do an never do it, we the people would be doing much better ...
Seems to me that it is mostly special interest groups pushing their candidates.

For the rest of us it is choosing between flavor-A bad and flavor-B bad.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Plenty of opportunities in healthcare. You have to know someone in the State to get a job there. It's a big joke. Maine is not a place to move to if you are looking for a good job....well, maybe Portland.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
People never seem to remember that these number don't mean anything. Maine is a huge geographical state but a tiny population state. There are more people in greater Philadelphia than there are in the entire state of Maine. And if you want to be governor of this state, they are only going to pay you $70K. Heck teachers in Philadelphia make more than that.

Try to look at Maine as if it was Philadelpia but without hardly any manufacturing.

I'm betting that if you took the size of the population into account, and pro-rated Maine for the amount of industrialization which brings jobs, Maine would not be 49th.

There is statistics and then there is damn statistics.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Plenty of opportunities in healthcare. You have to know someone in the State to get a job there. It's a big joke. Maine is not a place to move to if you are looking for a good job....well, maybe Portland.
Maine Organizations are not going to be giving jobs out to people who don't live here. You have to live here to get the jobs. I've seen that repeatedly. They simply ignore you if you don't live here.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
If somebody has lived here for 40 years it is likely he will stay. If you just got here an employer can expect you are a transient until proven otherwise. Don't stress over it. Somebody asked when he would be considered a Mainer.

"When you have three generations in Woodlawn." That's the local cemetery. Jump in and volunteer somewhere whether it be the church, snowmobile club, little league or food pantry. Most towns have a food pantry. Most jobs are obtained in Maine through word of mouth.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
I posted earlier on another thread about stalking a certain real estate site, but I also stalk the job websites and have made friends in Eastport(many from here). I want to have my eyes and ears to the ground to be ready to jump into whatever job(s) I can find when our time comes. If nothing comes then my frugal and saving way will have me up there at retirement(hopefully an early one).

Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 PM

147 posts, read 215,548 times
Jobs are very scarce here in Maine in the off season. Right now there are plenty of jobs still open for seasonal work catering to the needs of the tourists. I have always worked in retail and did not go to college. The only thing available to me up until now has been more of the same. Recently however the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor has been hiring and are still taking on more people. They are a great place to get in at the bottom and work up with good benefits and a steady schedule year round. I will be going there to work on 8/04 and can't wait. It really is the only job for people that did not go to college with the kind of benefits usually reserved for those with degrees. If anyone has thoughts of moving to Maine maybe they could start by applying there. It is not glamorous by any stretch but if you start at the bottom and can last 6 months you can take classes to learn new skills and try to post out for new jobs as they open up. It is an idea if you have always dreamed of living near Acadia. The housing situation is not good though so be prepared for a commute!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Maine Organizations are not going to be giving jobs out to people who don't live here. You have to live here to get the jobs. I've seen that repeatedly. They simply ignore you if you don't live here.

AND....there are often interviews when someone has already been given the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine