Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times

Advertisements

I'm not quite sure how big the generator system that we put in will be - we'll put it in when we move up here for good. I'll leave all that head scratching to Mensaguy since he is a licensed electrician. Bet that'll save us a bunch of money having your own inhouse electrician, giggle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM

312 posts, read 725,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'm not quite sure how big the generator system that we put in will be - we'll put it in when we move up here for good. I'll leave all that head scratching to Mensaguy since he is a licensed electrician. Bet that'll save us a bunch of money having your own inhouse electrician, giggle!
wow! Lucky you!!! I didn't realize that Mensaguy was an electrician!!!

When are you guys movin' in for good?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
yep, thanks, Mensaguy....I *did* understand that from your previous post.....was just reiterating my shock at the notion that someone spent 40K on a generator system for their home.....we are gonna follow your advice, and Dano and I are gonna hire an electrician to come out and assess what type of generator we need....

Thanks, again, for the advice and the helpful info....

P.S. Do you and/or Corgis know of a good electrician in Eastport? If so, could you please DM me the person's name and phone number?

Many thanks!
Those $40K systems are usually large, whole-house systems with automatic starting and automatic switchover, built away from the house and well insulated to minimize noise. Definitely the top end systems.

It's a little hard for me to recommend an electrician since I've never hired one. I do it myself. I've heard good things about one that lives on lower High St., though.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM

312 posts, read 725,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Those $40K systems are usually large, whole-house systems with automatic starting and automatic switchover, built away from the house and well insulated to minimize noise. Definitely the top end systems.

It's a little hard for me to recommend an electrician since I've never hired one. I do it myself. I've heard good things about one that lives on lower High St., though.
If possible, could you DM his name and number, if you have it?

I hadn't realized you were an electrician! You and Corgis are lucky to be able to do that kinda stuff yourself....

Thanks!

By the way, when are you guys movin' to Eastport permanently?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
Tap: Our internet was out yesterday about a half a day. The phone didn't quit working, just the DSL. I had to reset the modem and it appeared fine. It is a lucky person indeed who does not have some internet downtime. I know 50 people will come on and say their internet is never down, and they are right, it just isn't down when they tried to use it, but those people are not internet intensive users, they are occasional users.

Where I work we have several T-1 dedicated large internet access lines, and it is rare that they aren't down for at least a few minutes every few days, and down hours about 3-4 times a year. I monitor network traffic and about once a day we can have a hiccup or internet hesitation (30-120 seconds) when the network is down. Glad you guys are thinking ahead about a generator. I will have one myself when we get there. I won't do a whole house unit (too expensive). Since I use gas to heat, and cook, the only thing a generator will power will be lights, appliances, etc, and one that does that isn't all that expensive. Very few people go to the trouble and $$$$ to install a "whole home" generator. One in the neighborhood of 5000-7500 watts isn't all that expensive and will get the job done. If you try and run too much on the newer generators, they have a breaker that will trip, protecting the generator from overload damage.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,972 times
The generator on the island was put in around the 1930's I believe. Gates had its own bafckup I believe. I dion't remember any power outages the 3 years I worked there though and I know we had them in town.

There are actually 3 generators run by Bangor Hydro on County Road. When i was a kid there was someone on the island that kept them up and all running. He died some time ago and we aren't a big priority now to BHE. Only two of them run as far as I know now. The third is used for parts. During the ice storm in 98 it was a problem because noe of them worked at that time. The City Manager straightened them out some.

Any good electrician in Eastport can hook you up with a generator at home. All they need to know is how much stuff you want to run off it when the time comes. Most are automatic when the power goes out and when it comes back on. Try Murphy's. Sorry to be late to this but that's me.

Last edited by taxman04631; 11-20-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Welcome, taxman.. and yet another Eastportian is on the Maine forums!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,972 times
Thanks for the welcome, dramamama. My daughter's in Dayton at Wright-Patt.

Stumbled onto this site. I enjoy reading the posts. Now, my breaks over so it's back on my head.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman04631 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, dramamama. My daughter's in Dayton at Wright-Patt.

Stumbled onto this site. I enjoy reading the posts. Now, my breaks over so it's back on my head.
Our daughter is a commuter and attends Wright State University(spohomore year)... so the kids are near each other every day and someday we'll be neighbors. It never ceases to amaze me how small the world can be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine