Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Have you considered renting a house in Eastport to make sure the town is a good fit for you and your family before you buy? There are lots of variables to take into consideration before making a drastic step of relocating.

I spent the summer in Eastport and I love it and my home. Our home has an unvented propane log heater and baseboard heat in the two bedrooms both which require electricity to function. The power was off several times during this summer, one time as much as 3 or more hours. In the winter, I would be terribly cold unless I had some form of backup heat, not to mention the pipes could freeze, etc.

Just a tip about backup heat source and not meant to discourage your move to Eastport.
What is a propane log?

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-12-2008 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: removed real estate link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
What is a propane log?

Depending on the size of your gas stove, they can be any where from 16"-24" in length. Some of the outside burners use 4' lengths of propane.
When the propane is properly dried, it is quite light and easy to handle.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
A propane log is a space heater that is fueled by propane.
Or it could be in the form of a fireplace insert.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinb View Post
depending on the size of your gas stove, they can be any where from 16"-24" in length. Some of the outside burners use 4' lengths of propane.
:d:d

Last edited by mollysmiles; 08-12-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: ok the big smileys aren't working, but you all know I'm laughing ;)

Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Depending on the size of your gas stove, they can be any where from 16"-24" in length. Some of the outside burners use 4' lengths of propane.
Seems like they'd be tough to stack up.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Oh, we'd definitely come spend time up there first.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I think you might me my long lost twin!! LOL!! We've been looking for nearly a year now. I found the info on this house today and sent it to hubby. We've been e-mailing back and forth all day. If it weren't for the girls being in school I think today we'd have put the house on the market. At one point we were talking about just coming up for 5 or 6 months of the year and spending the rest of our time in north TN or south KY. We're looking at a place in NE KY, but thinking that we actually might like to try living full time in Maine.

Hubby just sent me an e-mail and said he's ready to go. His gypsy fires are burning. I'm sending my friend and e-mail and calling the realtor tomorrow. Hmmmm..... Maybe......
Perhaps, triplets. I've had realator.com saved to my favorites for 2 years now. I check out the Eastport houses at least once a week!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Well, hubby's serious about this. He'd pack and move right now, sight unseen. And it goes beyond 'Maine'. I think he misses his family. His previous wife was a nutso case and to keep her quiet and somewhat calm he pretty much disowned his family. So when they divorced and then he and I started dating he got back in touch with his family. He lost 20 years with them. Silly, but he had a little boy and she took it out on him and it was just easier for him. Anyway....

His parents are awesome, he's got 2 great sisters and one that's not too bad. She's better than my snobby sister anyway! But his parents are getting older - in their 70s - and his oldest sister has MS, so he's really wanting to be near them I think. They're in NJ, NY, and VT. ME would put us much closer than TN. We could visit for holidays and all. And to be honest, I miss them. A lot. He's really got a fantastic family.

So, we're serious about this. I still won't pull the girls out of high school. I don't think it's fair to uproot them like that. Especially in high school. But we're serious about looking to buy up there at some point, and probably sooner than we'd originally expected. I put ads in the papers here for our horses, chickens and have sent an e-mail to a guy I know to see if he's interested in adopting the turtles. By the time the girls graduate we'll have gone from 75 pets consisting of horses, chickens, quail, turtles, tortoises, dogs, cats, and birds to just 5 dogs and a cat. We can handle that.

So, I guess the search is really on. He's opposed to buying now and renting it out seasonally. We're just not in a situation yet that we can carry the extra mortgage comfortably so it's going to be a while before we can buy. But I'll keep the homes saved on realtor.com!!! You never know......

Old 08-17-2008, 06:33 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
That's great that he's been able to reconnect with his family.

We're serious about moving as well, but currently have a college commuter and it wouldn't be fair to leave our one and only in the lurch.

Also, though there are a few things we can do to earn alittle up there, we are concerned about the job market and would rather come up with a sizeable nest egg. That way if the side projects don't pan out, we won't be left out in the Eastport cold!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 24,987 times
Default Possibility Eastport

Hello everyone,

I've been reading your stories and got a wonderful glimpse into your lives. I got more and more curious about Eastport, Calais as well as the Midcoast. I hope you can answer some of my questions even if they seem old....
We ( my husband, son and I) are thinking about moving to Maine next summer. I am very intrigued by your lifestyle. It seems as though everything you do is done with a purpose. I miss the sense of community which you seem to have. Ever since I came to the US from Germany 7 years ago I've been looking and longing for 'real neighbors'. I haven't found them yet....
Anyway, I am really excited about the possibility of moving to Maine.
We would like to buy a house on the coast and Eastport seems right.
Our only concerns are the traffic in the winter, nearby doctors and the distance to grocery stores. Employment is not an issue for us.
Also, are there many young families in Eastport? Our son is one year old and we are in our late twenties and early thirties. We love the outdoors, especially the water. We love to have dinner and a cup of tea and great conversations. But we also need to get our shopping fix once in a while.
You all seem very happy and contend with your lifes. Do you think we can be just as successful?
Any info will help. I'd love to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine