Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM

45 posts, read 110,306 times

Advertisements

My Bangor-Hydro bill from 9/10-10/15...$116.55...636 KWH total delivery and supply (.183/kwh). Now a $500 electric bill would be 2732.24 kwh, 4 1/2 times what I use living in an older large farm house with 2 kids,computers,etc....that's alot of power used maureengld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Eastport is by far the nicest town on earth. I hope someday I can move there.You can stand in the middle of town and have one foot on either side of The Volvo Line so you really can be anyone you want to be there. Plus I always get excited when they mention Eastport on the weather radio even though it's now a computer generated voice... "Eastport Maine to the Merrimack river NH and out to 25 nautical miles". Gives you a chill doesn't it?
I really don't like being associated with the Volvo line. True or not can we move it to Machias? I own a Jeep and if it helps I'll buy another.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I really don't like being associated with the Volvo line. True or not can we move it to Machias? I own a Jeep and if it helps I'll buy another.
No..... there's no moving the line. You should feel priveleged you can straddle the line as you see fit!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
I suppose it will move south again after they gut and remodel and sell those $40,000 houses they paid $130,000 for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmperry View Post
My Bangor-Hydro bill from 9/10-10/15...$116.55...636 KWH total delivery and supply (.183/kwh). Now a $500 electric bill would be 2732.24 kwh, 4 1/2 times what I use living in an older large farm house with 2 kids,computers,etc....that's alot of power used maureengld
My BHE bill last few months have only been around $65 each. Big house but there's only the 2 of us. I'd have someone come check out all the big user equipment. Quickly.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
No..... there's no moving the line. You should feel priveleged you can straddle the line as you see fit!
Eastport, straddling the Volvo line? Too much....

Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM

129 posts, read 246,684 times
Here's a possible answer to the power bill deal; My wife's aunt just moved here in October from Los Angeles to a 2 bedroom apartment across the street. Today was electric bill day and the first one for her and her 19 year old daughter was over $300.00. I was stunned, because the tenant above her has a 35.00 bill. She has 3 little electric space heaters that she leaves on 6 to 24 hours a day to "take the edge off". At 1500 watts that works out to about .25 cents an hour, 1.50 to 6 dollars a day each. That's quite a chunk.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
I will admit, Bangor Hydro is what I would consider expensive on their rates. During last summer, my DW had a $90 bill and that was for one person. WillB, if you aunt ran those heaters, according to my accounting, that $300 bill would not have been out of line. Our biggest power user had to have been the electric hot water heater, and second, the clothes dryer.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times
We live in a two bedroom townhouse. There are only two of us here and we both are gone all day. My Bangor Hydro bill runs us almost $85-$90 a month. We do not have a hot water heater, the water is heated off the boiler. I have a newer washer and dryer. I probably do about 4 loads of laundry a week. I thought our bill would be much lower here as our last apartment had an electric hot water heater. The bill has only dropped about $10-$15 a month. The only thing I can think of that runs a lot is my computer. I never shut it off. I also run a fan all night long. I didn't think these two things should use a lot of electricity but perhaps I am wrong. Maybe I should try shutting the computer off during the day?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,874 times
Your computer doesn't use that much power. The fan shouldn't either. No matter where we've lived, it's been my experience that heating and cooling costs (Yeah, I know, cooling isn't a problem in Maine) Anyway, if you keep a steady heat source going it is more energy efficient than trying to warm things up after being out all day. What happens is that the structure itself looses heat and has to be replaced to create a barrier that will keep the room warm. Believe it or not, it is much easier and must more cost efficient to retain that by keeping the heat going all day than to heat it up later. And you can keep the thermostat lower, too.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 AM

33 posts, read 87,416 times
Corgis

I'm not sure how you can judge if you only live there in the summer. We lived there and Bangor Hydro checked for problems...there were none...also...checked w/ neighbors...theirs was the same. The elderly woman accross the street used a battery operated radio instead of a TV and cooked w/ a woodstove..no dryer..she also burned candles in the evening. Her light bill was $68 living like a Pilgrim. You must be lucky. I guess it depends on the house. There's no rule to it. Again...the best advise is for folks to check w/ utility companies BEFORE purchasing as some folks wouldn't be able to afford to live w/ a $500 electric bill. It is merely "good" advise to go ahead and check first. We pay 22cents per kw hr at the new house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine