Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM

300 posts, read 755,134 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I am considering a job offer in Calais; I have been reading all of your informative posts, but can't get much about this area. My prospective job is with the federal government, and I'm wondering, is this a great area to live? And if so, where would one find a house to rent in the area to settle in before buying? Any information you nice people would have is much appreciated, for a long time I have wanted to live in Maine and may finally get the chance :-)
By the way, I am flying up there in a few weeks with the wife to see the area firsthand, but what I've researched online makes it look quite nice.
Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
Calais is the economic center for Eastern Maine. They have a good business infrastructure, good hospital and great opportunities for outdoor recreation. You have fresh water and salt water fishing within minutes of each other. Fall fishing in salt water is very good. You can fill your freezer with fresh fillets.

Talk with local fishermen and keep an eye on the tides and weather. We have strong currents. A good marine radio can be found for under $100 at Hamilton Marine in Maine.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,785.html

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the information; the wife loves fish, so we will definitely be filling up on the fillets :-)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
We're a friendly bunch. There's never a lack of things to do. If you enjoy the outdoors you'll love the seasons. There are very few days a year we can't go outside. We might need a snow shovel or a rain coat some days but that's ok. The hospital is small and nice. The town (it gets called a city but it's really not) is nice. There's room for growth and business potential. There are minimal shopping choices. We go to Bangor for most of that.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
Hey, Calais has a building supply place, a Walmart, some car dealers and a Mardens. What else does a guy need?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Hey, Calais has a building supply place, a Walmart, some car dealers and a Mardens. What else does a guy need?

A dollar store and a couple of really neat hardware stores. Eastport has a great hardware store also.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:24 AM

How about housing prices? I've looked on the MLS, and there are about 50 properties in Calais, does anyone know what a new build-either stick built or modular would go for about 1900 sf on maybe 1/4 acre? Any input you may have is much appreciated :-)

Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
How about housing prices? I've looked on the MLS, and there are about 50 properties in Calais, does anyone know what a new build-either stick built or modular would go for about 1900 sf on maybe 1/4 acre? Any input you may have is much appreciated :-)

Don't look just in Calais. The surrounding towns are nice and not too far from anywhere you would be working in town. Why settle for just an in town city lot? Housing prices are relatively low and some of the places are 'cheap'. Good starter homes.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We're a friendly bunch. There's never a lack of things to do. If you enjoy the outdoors you'll love the seasons. There are very few days a year we can't go outside. We might need a snow shovel or a rain coat some days but that's ok. The hospital is small and nice. The town (it gets called a city but it's really not) is nice. There's room for growth and business potential. There are minimal shopping choices. We go to Bangor for most of that.
We are "cozy" but we have learned that a drive will get the bigger things we need, and the cost for living in this area saves us with the higher costs.
We went to Saint John New Brunswick Canada yesterday and got alot things we wanted and needed. It's a nice place to visit, but it's great to be home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Don't look just in Calais. The surrounding towns are nice and not too far from anywhere you would be working in town. Why settle for just an in town city lot? Housing prices are relatively low and some of the places are 'cheap'. Good starter homes.
Exactly, I'm a 15 minute drive out of Calais and I pay very reasonable taxes and my home (not quite 20 yrs old 3 bedroom for an acre was 42000.00 and I am only a walk from the lake. So... outside the area is always nicer.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
There is a beautiful newer Cape Style modular home for sale in Robbinston (the owners are moving out of state to help older family members) but I have no idea of the price---if I thought at all that we could swing a third piece of property I'd look into that! It overlooks the water, sits up on a small hill....ok, enough of that....

I would *love* to live out of Calais and in either Robbinston or Perry (and then the kids would be @ Calais High School).....and I think of that until I remember how much driving back and forth and shuttling that would be--for play dates and for rec activities---so for now we're in town. Our good friends (one of whom is also a "federal employee" LOL--sorry but that was funny, like we didn't know *where*) lives in Robbinston and makes the drive to work. He really enjoys it....it's just enough time to sort of change gears and let go of work a bit. Anyway, in looking at housing prices for the area you will find a wide range... the less expensive is not always the better deal, nor are the newer modular homes. There is a lot to be said for a 150 year old home that's been updated and has weathered the winters and storms vs a ranch style modular with none of that "New England" character and hasn't been through a few seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine