Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times

Advertisements

hmmm..... I don't know of a photography studio in Milbridge, and you're only 30 minutes or so out of Ellsworth on Rt 1. Perry is wonderful, on Rt 1 as well, but maybe not as busy as Milbridge, hard to say for sure though. Try pulling up the available real estate for areas that you're interested in on an MLS site-- realtor.com is one of them, and see how the property prices look to you. That may help narrow your search a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Eastport,.........everyone loves Eastport.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM

129 posts, read 246,713 times
The woman of my dreams was from West Hurley, but left in 74'. Eastport is on the water and could offer a lot of what you are talking about. The taxes are relatively high if you live on the water, but we have a 5 bedroom 2 bath house with a water view from the upstairs bathroom, and our taxes are 1700 and that's about half of what we paid in North Carolina. At least here we have snow removal. We have had 2 kids graduate from the high school and 2 in the elementary school, and though we have some issues with the schools, we feel that we can work with them. The classes are very small, 10-15 kids, and it's pretty easy to get actively involved with the schools; you can make a difference. There's a photography studio in Perry and one in Calais, and there are local people like Don Dunbar and Frank van Riper who make their living as photographers. When you get this far from the beaten path you have to figure out a way to make a living on your own, but it costs less to live here than any place else. There is a good supply of fixer-uppers for under a 100k, so a look at Eastportme.info may send you this way.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
*nods head in agreement to suggestion of Blue Hill*

Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,289 times
Affordable to me is finding a house in the 100k area +/- .. fixer upper desired. lowe taxes

politics - I am Voting for Obama. not a total hippy though,proudly wore a uniform for 13 years...

anything else you want to know just ask I look forward to seeing where this leads us !![/quote]

There is no "artsy fartsy" place at anything like that in Maine.
Best bet is about 20 miles or so from Ithaca,NY
Cortland is cool small city too.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:31 PM

45 posts, read 77,611 times
Quote:
There is no "artsy fartsy" place at anything like that in Maine.
Best bet is about 20 miles or so from Ithaca,NY
Cortland is cool small city too.

No offense, but thats not true at all - I have been to Maine on more than one occassion, There are small Artsy Fartsy cummunities all over the state.
I am simply trying to find the one that is the best for my family.

I figure the best way to find that out is by chatting with the local community - and so far I have gotten some great responses!

I do appreciate the input though, Thanks!

Eastport? - I have never been there, Do you have alot of tourists?
what is the weather like- Meaning is it gray or do you actaully see the sun? Lastly is it flat, hilly or mountainus? - I did see a lot of photographers on your website - One more may be to much maybe?

Blue Hill - Been there love it ! but it seems abit pricey, no?

Willb - I was in Hurley today, Was the Hurley Mountain inn around in the 70's?

Perry or Robbinston - much of a tourist trade?

Belfast - tell me more please

Wasington county - interests me as well - very big though, any thoughts on a favorite coastal area that may fit my wish list?

oh yeah - Dont mind the cold at all, prefer it over the heat. do like to see the Sun every once in a while - Seattle and Ithaca where a little to gray for me..
how many towns did I just knock of my list=)

thanks again all! - I will be heading back up in a few weeks.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 PM

129 posts, read 246,713 times
Washington county, our home, is one of the poorest counties in the US. Eastport is an island with a causeway so the terrain is leftover ice age; We live 2 blocks from the water but at least 50 feet above sea level. I think there is a lot of sun here. Even on a rainy gray day like yesterday the sun still came out around 5 and the skies were breath-taking. If you look at the weather channel's 10 day forecast you can get an idea of the weather, but a more accurate guage is the Canadian weather for St Andrews. The old adage "Early to bed, early to rise" is true because the sun comes up early. We get about an hour more of daylight from spring to fall and an hour less in the winter than Raleigh NC. In the winter there are a lot of sunny days but they are over by 4, so if you work in an office you should take Vitamin d everyday. The Air quality is something our whole family has come to appreciate because it is fantastic. Artists are drawn to places where the living is cheap and the surroundings are beautiful. Check out the little 8 minute video at the Eastport chamber of commerce. Pembroke and Perry are nice places to live but they are not towns in that they don't have centers, so they don't have tourists. Eastport has some visitors, but most of them are not the kind of tourists who hit Bar Harbor. Eastport or Lubec are about the only Waterfront communities in Maine where you still might find a fixer-upper that you could live in for less than 100k. Lubec has some world class chocolates and may fit your goals since they do get people passing through on their way to Campobello, but I think there is a little more in Eastport. You might want to rent a place and nose around a little. Good Luck. Also Lisa was not familiar with the Inn, but in the little world up here; We went to a concert in Machias last month, Dave Brubeck's sons' Quartet at the congregational church. It turns out the guitarist lived on the next block while they were both growing up. Small World

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
id say bellfast they have an art festival there every year the wife drug me to one of those a few years back i thought oh man hear we go but you no it wasnt to bad now we go every year there are some realy nice paintings and photo's and good music.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Belfast rocks

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Belfast rocks
it is a nice little town we go down 5 or 6 times a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: