Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

53 posts, read 93,413 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I'm interested in the possibility of moving to northern maine. I mean north of Presque Isle, Caribou, towards Madawaska, Fort Kent areas. I'm wondering about life in general in those areas. Obviously it's more remote, but what about access to basic amenities, food and building supplies, doctor/hospital if needed etc. My wife and I are pretty much loners, like the quiet, but wouldn't mind a town that has an "old fashioned" sense of community. Also, is the population generally accepting of "transplants"? We now live in CT and can't wait to leave! LOL! Any recommendations as to towns? We're not really dead set on any specific location. Housing/land price is definitely an issue. The lower the better. Thanks for any and all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,722,430 times
All the basic amenities of any other place in the Country. Maybe not teaching hospitals, but nice older facilities nevertheless, with good doctors and nurses. Of course there are food suppliers, there are several good grocery stores in each of the towns you mentioned, not the largest, but very good. The lumber yards there have whatever you might need, and if not, they are willing to order it in for you. A good thing about the places you mentioned is the number of road side stands in season for veggies, or go directly to the farmer themselves. A little looking may very well net you a small beef farmer who will sell off a whole cow or hog when they are ready so you get nice fresh from the farm meats as well. The Communities are generally accepting (more so in Fort Kent due to the University there) if you don't come in with the whole "isn't this a quaint little place that time forgot... What do you mean that isn't the way you do _____, that is the way it is done in a real town/city... Is it always so boring/cold/wet/dry/hot/ here?" Take it for what the towns are and not try to push change and you will do fine. Push an issue that doesn't really make a difference in the long run, and you will fast see the whole "outsider-local" attitude surface.

Personally I like Madawaska over Fort Kent, but that is totally just my thoughts. My wife is the opposite, she likes Fort Kent better (she filled in at the hospital for a while when they were short on nurses). Dicky and Allagash are just too far out in the sticks for my tastes. Frenchville and the other towns between Fort Kent and Madawaska are OK, but a bit small and not much in them, meaning everything is a drive. Same for the little villages and wide spots between Madawaska and Van Buren. To me Van Buren has an "odd" feel to it, but that again is just personal.

I lived in the Caribou/Presque Isle area for a long time so I am a bit partial to that area myself. I really like Fort Fairfield... A LOT! Smaller community, but one that is trying very hard to maintain what they have and trying to gain jobs so their kids can stay around and not leave for other parts of the state or country.

Good Luck in your search, and do your homework so there isn't any big nasty surprises. Like; you better really like snow, and so-so cold temps (a few times a year around -40 every winter). Utilities are high priced compared to other areas of the country, but not sure about the rates in CT. It will be a 99% chance of the home being oil heat if it doesn't have a wood stove. There is NO natural gas available anyplace in Aroostook county for residential use. Heating costs will be something you have to factor in. ASK to see the last year or two of heating bills for whatever home you are looking at.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM

115 posts, read 379,445 times
Beware the mosquito's and the big,black deer flies.

Last edited by Najran; 08-19-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,078,011 times
If you're looking for community spirit, Fort Kent is the place. Volunteers are crucial for town events like the biathlons, dog sled races, and fishing derby, and people really turn out for them.

Don't go up there thinking you're out on the frontier with no amenities. These are small towns with all the stores and services you'd expect and need. Fort Kent has a branch of the University of Maine System and a fine little hospital, for example.

Best advice I can offer -- visit at least twice, summer and winter, before making a final decision.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM

67 posts, read 212,048 times
IF you're a snowmobiler... then YEAH COMMON UP!
hehehe. Really, up nothern maine, best snowmobiling you can encounter. But the same time, you'll need a good housing! Oil, propane has been going up and up. Right now i'm down near augusta, still owe 2,000$ for heating from last year. It's quite hard, unless you got some 30$/hr job. Other than that, it's really nice up in fort kent. my old gramp lives there and i visit him quite offten. My sis went up there for nursing school and i think she'll live up there as she gets older.

the fishing is great, the lakes is great. Yes there are small stores around you can go to. not big like walmart but it got every thing you need.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-19-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-19-2008, 03:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,558,717 times
It's a 1 1/2 day ride by horseback for sacks of flour, beans and coffee. The local barber moonlights as a dentist and provides leeches for basic doctorin' services.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,078,011 times
{Chortle} You forgot the rustlers!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,435,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
It's a 1 1/2 day ride by horseback for sacks of flour, beans and coffee. The local barber moonlights as a dentist and provides leeches for basic doctorin' services.
What - you forgot to tell him about the 9-month long winters???

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,722,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What - you forgot to tell him about the 9-month long winters???
That's not including the month long cold Fall and the 6 week rainy cold Spring either that far up the state. We do get 2 weeks of beautiful Summer with temps climbing clear into the 50's, even 60 some years.

Psssst... Do you think they believe it? LOL

Last edited by Bydand; 08-19-2008 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Forgot the "k" in weeks... Thought it might give the wrong impression if I left it out.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,046,113 times
I *know* some of them do! Even some of the regulars (remember Tarastomsgirl?) will say that's true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine