Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 AM

109 posts, read 198,804 times

Advertisements

Since I can't find the thread, I thought I'd bring this up again. I'm looking for information (not advertising) on wind & solar energy here in Maine.

We are in the process of building a new house on a tight budget.... basically out of pocket.
We cut our own wood/logs of this land and had it milled by a local sawyer, and we now have the shell up and almost roofed.

We are planning to heat with wood and I have an engineer/fabricator friend who is playing with the idea of a steam turbine (off the boiler) to power a small generator.
I have the area to put up one or more small (1000 watt) wind turbines and would like to know more about solar panels on the roof.
What I am looking for is recommended numbers...
What voltage system and should I start with finding the battery (ies)
Inverter, 2500 or 4000 watt? Can I use an RV inverter?
Which charge controller and are these voltage specific or switchable?

The one thing I want to make clear is we are not wealthy. If that were the case I would simply call CMP and pay them the $14K to $16K they want to run wire down eight poles that are already in place for phone service!

We have lived off-grid in Alaska using only a generator and a couple 12 volt deep cycle batteries so we understand about managing power. Our lighting will be mostly LED's but we will be needing our fridge and freezer as well as occasional use of a gas dryer. (110v)

Signed: Going green out of necessity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Welcome Mad Jack.

You can get a gas refrigerator and gas freezer. I hope that foundation and slab have styrofoam insulation; or is that spray foam?.

To be efficient your wind turbines must be at least 40 feet higher than any surrounding trees and your site should be on a hilltop.

I just returned from a seminar in Virginia on this very subject. Xantrex makes the best inverters. Outback makes the best charge controllers. For efficiency it would be better to go with a 24 volt system using 12 volt batteries. The higher the voltage, the smaller the wire. Copper is very expensive today. Here is the best site I have found for for solar. (No ads.)

Alpha: Alternative Energy

This could take you a week to study.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 08-22-2008 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Wow , nice job doing it yourself! Exellant link NMLM. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Awesome job! Looks like you'll have plenty of room there! Congratulations on getting 'closed in' before fall...really enjoyed the pictures! Keep us posted, would love to see and read more about how you did this!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Nicely, done. Your house looks great. Good luck on getting everything inplace before the cold weather

Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
I am in a similar financial position. Am slowly buying solar panels for use in Maine. At this point, not sure if Maine will ever be a reality, but am keeping the dream alive by continuing my perseverance buying alternate means to cook, refrigerate, heat, & power the place there. Solar panels are being purchased individually as funds allow so it's not one big expense in one lump sum. A generator will also be in the picture and has yet to be purchased. Keep your ear to ground and let people know what your goals are. Only then can folks keep their eyes and ears open for you. It's slow but it works. I found the most helpful information from a bank teller in a small bank in Lincoln. She and her husband live year round off-grid.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM

I bought a Honda 2000i generator in October of 2006. It is very quiet and goes 13 hours on a gallon of gas. That's a highly efficient generator and it's super quiet. It has terminals to charge batteries too.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:49 AM

Land Man, that IS spray foam! It was cheaper (and less time) than trying to patch all the small holes, then tar, then attempt to attach blue foam with only 1/3 the insulating value!
The bottom of the footing will be (soon) 52" below grade, with oversized /depth footings under the door and walk-out (back of house). The plan is to eventually have a glass room added on to the front with dark tile floor for passive solar thermal convection, like an unpowered heat pump. (covered by a removable awning in summer)

This does sit slightly above the surrounding terrain and I'll be clearing the taller trees and leaving the lower 'brush' to funnel the available wind as far out as 300 to 600 feet.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-25-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Please use the DM feature to contact other members.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:07 AM

By the way, MadJack; You can have your own electrician run your power either on your poles or underground. You would own the wires. The only catch is that your drop box or meter would be on the last pole at the street. Nobody else can connect to your line.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 AM

The problem with that is only a utility conglomerate (CMP/Bangor Hydro) can install wires on the road. (State highway)
Not to mention after spending all that cash to get wires run in, then have to pay the "double" bill for electricity AND delivery every month.

Thanks though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine