Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I've been to Fryeburg Fair in early October when it has snowed and been colder than cold. Not the norm, but it can happen. You should be fine with what folks have told you to bring. You can always buy something in Maine if you have to.
Thanks for responding. Sounds like a reasonable suggestion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Autumns are generally mild in most of New England Maja

although southern New England in November is likely to be warmer then central Maine.

I have seen it 70 here in Connecticut during the first week of November many times.

The really chilly weather sets in first near the Canadian border in Early November and works itself south to the southern New England coast about 4 weeks later.

Chilly meaning temps in the 40s by day- near freezing or below by night.
Thanks for the specifics. I was guessing it would be cooler; but will pack accordingly - makes it easier!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Smile Thanks Molly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
maja you're visiting at a beautiful time of year! As everyone has suggested, layers are perfect for fall. The cooler weather really starts to hit in November, and depending on where you are in Maine really determines (*most* of the time) when you'll get snow. I hope you have a wonderful time while you're here---what part of Maine are you visiting?

oh, rain ponchos are $.99 in the camping section at Wal-Mart
We will be staying at a timeshare exchange in Ogunquit. Don't know much about it other than it was about the only one that was available! Hope its nice. In any event, I doubt that we will be spending much time at the hotel. We plan on doing a lot of exploring and meet up one day with an old aquaintance of dh, who lives in Brunswick, I believe. Although, I have done a fair share of traveling and dh has traveled almost all over the world, neither of us has ever been to Maine but I have always been somewhat intrigued by it. We are very excited to come and check it out.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
Ogunquit is beautiful! I think you will enjoy your trip.... Brunswick is a nice area too! It's a large state, and I'm sure that you'll only be able to get a little taste of all there is to see, but usually that drives people to return again and again... and for some, it's enough to make them want to relocate!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Be sure to walk the marginal way from Ogunquit to Perkins Cove.....then you can ride the open trolley back to Ogunquit. The Marginal Way is a spectacular scenic pathway that overlooks the beautiful rocks and surf and expanse of ocean and runs along some lovely seaside estates. Think beach roses, cedars, vistas and surf and salt air and sunshine. Once you get to Perkins Cove there are shops and boutiques and souviners and candy and cocktails or clam rolls.....enjoy.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Sounds Like a Must-Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Be sure to walk the marginal way from Ogunquit to Perkins Cove.....then you can ride the open trolley back to Ogunquit. The Marginal Way is a spectacular scenic pathway that overlooks the beautiful rocks and surf and expanse of ocean and runs along some lovely seaside estates. Think beach roses, cedars, vistas and surf and salt air and sunshine. Once you get to Perkins Cove there are shops and boutiques and souviners and candy and cocktails or clam rolls.....enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion. We won't miss it - scenery sounds spectacular and dh has a passion for trains, trolleys, streetcars... Sounds like the kids will enjoy it too.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
If you drive up Rt 1 to York, (not too far) the Maine Diner is a good resturant (what else: diner style) the food is good, relaxed atmosphere and the kids might enjoy going there; save room for pie!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Mmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If you drive up Rt 1 to York, (not too far) the Maine Diner is a good resturant (what else: diner style) the food is good, relaxed atmosphere and the kids might enjoy going there; save room for pie!
Sounds good...we'll try it!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Sounds good...we'll try it!
Have a slice of pie for me!! I bet you'd never thought you'd get so many of your questions answered by the fabulous Mainers on here!!! They've been so helpful to all of us "from away"!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,604,680 times
Beware the seasonal potholes in the roads. You'll know them as soon as your tires hit them. There are many areas in Maine between Sept/Oct particularly on state routes that these mysterious "potholes" occur. You won't feel the "dip" of a tire sinking into a hole, but you'll hear the crack and crunch when your tires make contact. It might even sound like firecrackers going off as your tires continue to roll. Not to worry - just the fallen apples from the gazillion apple trees lining roads in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine