U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,550,628 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on what to pack (other than our toothbrushes) for a week long trip to Maine at the end of Sept./beginning of Oct.? We are a family of four, flying in from L.A. and pretty much restricted to one bag per person as the airlines are now charging $15 each way per person for the first bag and lots more for additional bags! Anyway, we can't do a lot of "just in case" overpacking. Will we need winter coats or will we be okay with sweatshirts and light jackets? Gloves? And what about our feet? We'll leave the flip flops behind; but will we need boots? Thanks for any input. (Can't wait to see the Fall colors!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,607,834 times
sweatshirts and sweatpants and a jacket are fine for the evenings. Jeans, short sleeve shirts, regular shoes. You don't need coats, gloves and boots for Sept. and/or Oct. The days are nice and warm and when the sun goes down you'll be comfortable in anything fleece or heavy cotton. This is one of the best times of the year here in Maine. Warm days, cool nights.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Thanks Corgis - Sounds Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
sweatshirts and sweatpants and a jacket are fine for the evenings. Jeans, short sleeve shirts, regular shoes. You don't need coats, gloves and boots for Sept. and/or Oct. The days are nice and warm and when the sun goes down you'll be comfortable in anything fleece or heavy cotton. This is one of the best times of the year here in Maine. Warm days, cool nights.
How about raincoats? Much precipitation that time of year?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,014,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I am a new resident but spent a week visiting here late Sept (Bangor area) last year. That week there was ONE day that made me glad I had a tank top... and it did not rain. But of course it COULD... I wouldn't bother with raincoats, just bring a few bucks and stop in a discount store for some of the el-cheap-o rain ponchos if you need them.

It will likely be cooler than you are used to, but when I visited from the NC beach (and then moved up here in March of this year) I planned a layered look...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Smile Gotcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I am a new resident but spent a week visiting here late Sept (Bangor area) last year. That week there was ONE day that made me glad I had a tank top... and it did not rain. But of course it COULD... I wouldn't bother with raincoats, just bring a few bucks and stop in a discount store for some of the el-cheap-o rain ponchos if you need them.

It will likely be cooler than you are used to, but when I visited from the NC beach (and then moved up here in March of this year) I planned a layered look...
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, are you happy with your move so far? We, are considering a move to Maine, but of course want to check it out first. We'll come in the beautiful Fall and if we like what we see, will plan on returning in the winter for a reality check before doing anything drastic. But we would like to find a slower paced place to escape from L.A. We were checking out Charlotte, N.C. but that place is growing so rapidly, we've kind of cooled off on it. Reasonable growth is fine, but when it happens too rapidly, you end up with increased crime, traffic congestion and school overcrowding, etc. and we've got enough of that here in L.A. - don't need to move across the country for more of the same!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM

874 posts, read 1,663,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
For traveling light I'd just get some of those cheap rain ponchos that fold down to practically nothing.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
For traveling light I'd just get some of those cheap rain ponchos that fold down to practically nothing.
Thanks. Great idea!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,607,834 times
Could you 'ummm be a little more specific on L.A., please - I'm assuming you mean Los Angeles California but you could also mean.

Lower Alabama
Lesser Antilles
Lincoln Arkansas

Fun with initials, giggle!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I grew up in California.

Coming to Maine in the Fall is mostly T-shirt, shorts and sandals weather. A light wind-breaker and hat in case it rains. A sweater and slacks/long dress in the off chance to cool weather.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM

16,495 posts, read 20,771,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Could you 'ummm be a little more specific on L.A., please - I'm assuming you mean Los Angeles California but you could also mean.

Lower Alabama
Lesser Antilles
Lincoln Arkansas

Fun with initials, giggle!
In Maine, L.A. usually means Lewiston/Auburn. Also sometimes called the Twin Cities, not to be confused with Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine