U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,931,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
tinbender he's in the lake I bet! (I'm refraining from saying something about leeches here...)

Ants... anyone remember that old movie from the 70s "It Happened At Lakewood Manor"? here's the trailer...
YouTube - Ants! aka "It Happened at Lakewood Manor" (1977)

I guess some would say that the potential is there...
As I recall the ant segments were filmed in Eastport. I remember we had to stop using D-Earth, corn meal and pesticides 12 months before they shot the movie. That was a tough few years then. Remember they carried off that dog Chipper the house in back of yours?

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 07-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: spe;lling naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,023,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
tinbender he's in the lake I bet! (I'm refraining from saying something about leeches here...)

Ants... anyone remember that old movie from the 70s "It Happened At Lakewood Manor"? here's the trailer...
YouTube - Ants! aka "It Happened at Lakewood Manor" (1977)

I guess some would say that the potential is there...
That was good! LOL

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM

2,380 posts, read 2,752,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I don't much care for it that I have to fight with them for my raspberries (like this morning) but I do hate having to carry my shotgun with me.

And how come AustinB has only posted here once? C'mon; fire ants?!?!?
Molly was right, the ants had me trapped in the lake.

As for the organic control methods... they don't work. The university has told me that amdro is the only thing that works. I did find the gasoline works too, but I don't recommend that technique.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 PM

5,636 posts, read 7,259,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
As for the organic control methods... they don't work. The university has told me that amdro is the only thing that works. I did find the gasoline works too, but I don't recommend that technique.
It's ridiculous that any university lacks common information about organic pest control. Jim Dill at UMaine Orono should have reliable information.

Organic Fire Ant Control by MSU

From TAMU (http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2005%20Articles/APR3.htm - broken link)

There's more information available with a quick Google. I used an organic pesticide with spinosyns as the active ingredient. As long as you soak the mound and pay attention to directions there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:20 PM

I have never seen a mound for these ants. They are found under boards, under leaves, or in any loose detritus. I talked with Dr. Ellie Grodin at UMO. While she didn't specifically say the organics wouldn't work, she did say that what works here is amdro. It's a bait that they take back to the nest. It looks to be based on grits. Don't forget, these ants aren't the same critters that Mississippi has.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,943,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
What if you have a dug or drilled well?

Might the insecticide find its way into your water supply?
Our well is 300 feet. I doubt if anything finds it's was down there!!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,943,755 times
I like the shotgun approach....number 300 ant shot!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 AM

7,378 posts, read 8,064,599 times
Geez, you know, I'd be worried about windows and vents.... the car too if you leave your windows down in the driveway. Course, there are a lot of old foundations, and even some of the newer ones with tiny cracks. Honestly you could do your very best, and they'd still come in on your shoe, pantleg, dog... cat. They can be very tiny...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM

5,636 posts, read 7,259,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I have never seen a mound for these ants. They are found under boards, under leaves, or in any loose detritus. I talked with Dr. Ellie Grodin at UMO. While she didn't specifically say the organics wouldn't work, she did say that what works here is amdro. It's a bait that they take back to the nest. It looks to be based on grits. Don't forget, these ants aren't the same critters that Mississippi has.
Ahhhh! I thought you meant it when you said the university said organic pesticides don't work.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 AM

I haven't talked to them for about 4 years, nothing works great, and with all the oak trees around, it's a losing battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine