U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:56 PM

7,702 posts, read 7,404,757 times
Because most rentals include heat and hot water. Oil has become extremely expensive and the majority of exesting rental homes use heating oil. It's not personal expense in most cases, it's the cost to heat the property the lessee lives in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,278,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
I personally don't understand why a landlord should raise rent on a tenant just because there personal expenses are going up. If the mortgage is not going up than why should it effect someone that has been so loyal to you for so many years? That person paid your bills in the past, helped to secure the future of you investment, and helped to feed your children, why should they have to pay for your extra expenses. I mean if they lived there for 33 years they should have essentially paid off the portion of the mortgage for that rental property, right? I don't know maybe it is just me but I don't think it is fair to raise the expenses of others because we can not handle our own. We own rental properties and ours are down here in Florida, where everything is more expensive. We have never raised the rent on a tenant because we have always charged enough to cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance for the homes. Infact one of the homes is a $6000 annual loss in its self but the others cover that loss. We are not out to make money off the tenants monthly. It is called an investment property for a reason, because eventually you will make a profit off it. If you are struggling, so are they!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. His fuel costs related to the rental are going up. These aren't his personal costs, nor should they be a gift to the tenant. He could have raised the rent to meet the cost increase completely but only raised the rent a small portion of the cost to him.

I had the impression that it was not the small increase in rent but the overall increase in the cost of living that made the tenant decide to leave and share costs with her sister. Flycessna seems, to me, to be a decent landlord lamenting the struggles his elderly tenants are dealing with and he is saddended by the loss of a long time tenant who is also a friend.
exactley

Old 08-30-2008, 07:52 PM

7,378 posts, read 8,054,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
I personally don't understand why a landlord should raise rent on a tenant just because there personal expenses are going up. If the mortgage is not going up than why should it effect someone that has been so loyal to you for so many years? That person paid your bills in the past, helped to secure the future of you investment, and helped to feed your children, why should they have to pay for your extra expenses. I mean if they lived there for 33 years they should have essentially paid off the portion of the mortgage for that rental property, right? I don't know maybe it is just me but I don't think it is fair to raise the expenses of others because we can not handle our own. We own rental properties and ours are down here in Florida, where everything is more expensive. We have never raised the rent on a tenant because we have always charged enough to cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance for the homes. Infact one of the homes is a $6000 annual loss in its self but the others cover that loss. We are not out to make money off the tenants monthly. It is called an investment property for a reason, because eventually you will make a profit off it. If you are struggling, so are they!!!!!!!!
everything more expensive?? how much are you paying for heating oil down there?? honestly, this is not written in such a way that makes me believe you have renters. I also find it hard to believe that in FL the insurance and taxes never go up.... or, maybe you just over-charged your "renters" in the first place with that expectation.

No, I think not.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 PM

7,378 posts, read 8,054,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
exactley
ayuh

Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM

4,285 posts, read 9,735,200 times
I suspect the landlord expense scenario in Maine and other cold-weather climates differs considerably from those in a warm climate. Heating is a must have rather than an option, and dramaticly more expensive petroleum prices are a challenge to both tenants and landlords.

My sincere congratulations to a couple of our regulars on their civility and restraint.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,927,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I suspect the landlord expense scenario in Maine and other cold-weather climates differs considerably from those in a warm climate. Heating is a must have rather than an option, and dramaticly more expensive petroleum prices are a challenge to both tenants and landlords.

My sincere congratulations to a couple of our regulars on their civility and restraint.
This post sums it up. It is very difficult for someone from the southern states to relate to the cost of heating in New England. Oil costs have risen 300% in the last three years. No one individual, or landlord, can afford to absorb that cost. Many landlords are now renting places with seperate oil tanks or gas meters for each unit and making the tennant pay for their own heat. Flycessna was not being a greedy landlord and he did not want to raise his rent, though he is not running a charity or Government subsidized housing either. He has no choice, his expenses are real!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM

10,103 posts, read 9,695,495 times
housing rents/leases are all over the board, in the lewiston/auburn area, i know folks paying 500 month and well over 2000/month, depends on what the rental is, where it is, and of course available tenants.

do landlords set the market rates or do tenants??????? i believe the tenants do.

l/a area ,,,has more rentals than most, however, because of taxes, and other increasing expenses, it makes it tough on the landlords (electricity, oil, trash removal, the rising costs of maintenance, and reserves for capital improvements are all very real challenges for landlords.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 AM

I have rented Both places! It wasn't easy I fielded probably around 100 calls for the apartment where the old lady was, and I showed the apartment about 10 times. In the end there was probably only 5 people I was interested in. this was the most activity I have ever had....SO SO So many large families and single mom's with kids on section 8. It was hard to keep telling people that I wasn't interested in renting to a Large family or dealing with section 8. In the end I found a single women in her 30's who moved down from up-state for her job.

the other place rented in one day with a sign out front to a single guy in his 40's. location, location location!!

thank you for your words of encouragement...thought i'd let you all now I can sleep at night now

Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 AM

4,098 posts, read 3,993,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I have rented Both places! It wasn't easy I fielded probably around 100 calls for the apartment where the old lady was, and I showed the apartment about 10 times. In the end there was probably only 5 people I was interested in. this was the most activity I have ever had....SO SO So many large families and single mom's with kids on section 8. It was hard to keep telling people that I wasn't interested in renting to a Large family or dealing with section 8. In the end I found a single women in her 30's who moved down from up-state for her job.

the other place rented in one day with a sign out front to a single guy in his 40's. location, location location!!

thank you for your words of encouragement...thought i'd let you all now I can sleep at night now
Congrats... at least you won't have those empty for the winter months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine