U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

12,140 posts, read 21,973,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Ignorance is more obscene than knowledge and a great deal more dangerous. What I read in books never hurt me....what I heard in the school yard and on the way home from other kids was often obscene, incorrect and potentially harmful. I vote in favor of books! Viva Books.
Just have to say that I agree 100% with elston on this one! points your way for a great comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM

21,794 posts, read 28,218,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Forest
I saw Your picture on the Homesteading Forum ( at least I think it is You ) and You do look a little corrupted
Bob
Bob-

Can I call you Bob?

Any corrupted look that I might have comes from molesting my inner-child years ago.

As to this book, I find it humorous that our society mandates that 'obscene' materials be present and available to children; while we also have adults who find the same materials obscene.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM

2,302 posts, read 3,866,896 times
It is not the job of a public library to determine when, where and how the facts of life are taught to our children.
This lady should have checked out all copies of this book and not returned them.....geesh.......
FAQ

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM

10,988 posts, read 10,943,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
It is not the job of a public library to determine when, where and how the facts of life are taught to our children.
This lady should have checked out all copies of this book and not returned them.....geesh.......
7th has a good point here, its not the job of libraries/school to teach our kids about sex,,,however, provided good parents are talking to and informing thier own kids, and not leaving it to the movies /tv/internet/books, for thier sex education,,

im on the fence on this one, we all know folks ,,,that say thier parents didnt say a word to them,,,or worse, if they did, it was fire and brimstone,,and then the kids rebelled..made the situation worse..
my personal opinion,,,kids can get far more info on the internet,,,,than from any book in a library
of course thier is age apropriate material for elementery school, etc,,

Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,404,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
No, but it is the job of the public library to have information available to those who want it. Just because one parent finds the material objectionable is no reason to ban it for all. There are some who find the Bible offensive....want that banned too??

However, I am not opposed to having certain books in the library available only with adult consent...much like getting into a rated R movie, you have to have an adult with you to check it out. (Of course you could sit for hours and read it, never leaving the library...make sure to wrap it in a copy of the Wall Street Journal first....hehe....)

Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM

34,063 posts, read 11,244,198 times
In my opinion, It is exactly the job of the public library to have resource and educational materials available to the public and in my opinion that includes sex education. Sex is hardly a subject that is kept secret, in the movies, on the day time soaps, in the thngs that kids talk about among themselves and it is a subject they have an interest in and in which they need factual information. Sex education isn't dangerous and won't make anyone go blind or grow hair on the palms of their hands.

I assume that most small children go to the library with an adult who helps them select books that are age appropriate.....older children should be able to explore any subject that interests them. Sex education won't make them sexual--God did that. I remember when there was a movement to take Huckleberry Finn off the shelves because it used racist language. I read and loved Huck Finn and it didnt make me racist; factual information about sex won't make kids promiscuous or get them pregnant....it just might have the opposite effect.

A well written sex education book would be far more helpful than the National Geographics that we used to look at or the Playboy and Hustler in the drug store and in the barber shops, or in the garage.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM

100 posts, read 82,805 times
And SHE has every right NOT to look at it! She needs to mind her own P;s & Q's and stop trying to tell everyone else what THEY can look at.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-01-2008 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: watch your language.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM

169 posts, read 357,981 times
Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.

H. L. Mencken

Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM

357 posts, read 403,347 times
Controversy is good advertising, her actions could lead to the spreading of these confounded paper education things. I'm sure she hasn't thought it through...or maybe she has...maybe she's in charge of advertising...ahhh the conspiracy!!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM

112 posts, read 174,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Bob-

Can I call you Bob?

Any corrupted look that I might have comes from molesting my inner-child years ago.

As to this book, I find it humorous that our society mandates that 'obscene' materials be present and available to children; while we also have adults who find the same materials obscene.
Your inner Child ? that makes Me feel a whole lot better . I thought it was from the years You spent underwater passing through Long Island Sound , while I was up to My Knees above You , waving at the periscopes .
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine