U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM

33,429 posts, read 28,055,798 times
Coaster is making a lot of sense. If left without regulation any resource based industry will maximize the profits while putting any extraneous costs on the public. I think wind power should be developed but within a regulatory frame that balances the need for profit with the desires of the entire population of the area.

Corporations are formed by the government to create an economic environment (minimizing losses) that will attract the capital that individuals either do not have or are unwilling to risk their entire fortune to develop. In the case of wind power the developing corporation should be regulated in order to internalize the extraneous cost of reduces environmental quality created by the wind turbines. The reduced environmental quality is reflected in reduced property values that are in effect a corporate tax on the population. Proper regulation can prevent this impropriety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM

6,138 posts, read 7,820,627 times
I just came from a wind power meeting. They want to site wind turbines in several area towns. They want to pay a tax rate of only 20 or 40% of what all the citizens and businesses in town pay nor. We are supposed to be grateful for that. I pointed out that no other business had ever come to town and asked to have their taxes cut by 80%.

In the midwest some towns have 2/3 of the utility bill for everybody in town paid by the wind power company. There is a huge penalty if the town does not play. State aid to education gets cut. Revenue sharing gets cut. assessment to local school districts is increased. The net effect can be a long term increase in taxes paid by homeowners and small businesses. We don't want to take the same deal that Mars Hill took. They will see a big benefit for the first two years. Then they get clobbered with heavy increases in school and county taxes. We take a longer look than just two years into the future.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,183,270 times
I understand the towns involved have hired a well known Bangor law firm (Eaton Peabody?) to negotiate with the wind power company. I don't recall that happening with previous wind projects, but it sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it will prevent the company from threatening landowners with eminent domain if they refuse to sign wind leases, which I've heard is happening elsewhere in Maine.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM

No problem here with the turbines. All of those landowners are happy to have the annual lease money. The new power lines will cross many properties and negotiations are still in progress with those owners.

The town of Lincoln has studied the effect on property values where there are wind farms. There has been no effect on property values. It would be interesting to see if any of the detractors in Mars Hill have sold their homes and moved to somewhere that they can't see any windmills.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM

182 posts, read 310,454 times
It would seem to me any issue comes down to one of impact and that individual personal rights shouldn't be simply conferred upon a corporation or any entity that exists to make a profit.

I can rip some trails into my property and go dirt bike riding whenever I want. No one should be able to tell me otherwise. But if a Six Flags wants to come in up the street the issue of impact becomes quite different.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,041,583 times
When we were on Route 6 Monday, heading East out of Springfield, my husband said he saw up on some hills wayyy up ~ that is...
..............Wind mills.

Where abouts would they have been.
I was driving and I didn't notice them.
I said I ask, and this reminded me.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 7,551,899 times
There are 38 there. Wanna go see them up close and personal?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,183,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
It would seem to me any issue comes down to one of impact and that individual personal rights shouldn't be simply conferred upon a corporation or any entity that exists to make a profit.

I can rip some trails into my property and go dirt bike riding whenever I want. No one should be able to tell me otherwise. But if a Six Flags wants to come in up the street the issue of impact becomes quite different.
Good point, but under the law a corporation has the same property rights as a person. To a certain extent, legally speaking a corporation is a person. There have been efforts over the years to change the legal concept to include a community service requirement, periodic public reviews, or corporate renewals, but they've never been adopted.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM

They are in Washington County on Stetson Mountain.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,041,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There are 38 there. Wanna go see them up close and personal?
Wow.. 38. I'll tell him he's not seeing things. I never realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They are in Washington County on Stetson Mountain.
Stetson Mt. Thanks, I'm going to have to google it and learn more.
Thanks again you two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine