Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM

87 posts, read 259,878 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know I have asked this question before. My friend has property in Jonesport and needs to have a road cleared does anyone have any recommendations of someone in the area who would do it for the wood or if they charge, how much.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
There are several different questions and issues here.

1. How long is the road going to be?
2. How much wood is on the property and will be available to cut to create the roadway?
3. What KIND of trees are growing on the poperty right now?
4. Does your friend own enough land to have a forestry management plan designed, and then a harvest done on the whole property?
5. How rough is the forest floor now? If it is rough, then there might the need for a substantial amount of gravel to be brought to the site and spread, AND there could be the need to install culverts to control runoff and keep the roadway from washing out.

If your friend has at least ten acres and there is good forest on the property with enough trees that could be taken to market and sold, there might be enough wood to harvest to pay for at least some of the road construction costs.

Road construction costs take into play a lot of different options? If the need is for a simple camp road that is passable by four wheel drive truck, then it might be possible to harvest enough wood to pay for a road of that type.

But if the idea is to create a roadway that will enable passage of regular passenger cars then the road construction project could be of considerable size and very unlikely to be offset by merely cutting the wood.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 AM

87 posts, read 259,878 times
Thanks for the response. I will have my friend answer all those questions as he has much more knowledge of the property and what he wants done.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 AM

39 posts, read 64,486 times
Default clearing land

Thankhyou for taking the time out to reply.
The road is actually a 600 foot driveway that is now covered with secound generation spruce. For ous, here on Long Island, it seems like a road but in Jonesport it's just a driveway. The driveway should be just wide enough to allow a ten wheeler to pass.
I'm interested in having someone cut the trees and chip the branches. I will remove the stumps and cart them to the dump.
Iff I had to guess the average diameter, it would be around 12 inches.
The property is heavily covered so an additional number of trees will have to be removed for the house and septic system. It would be a poor guess as to how many will have to be removed.
Please advise as to the financial arrangement.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Your best bet is to contact a logger for an estimate. What they pay (or won't) depends on the size of the trees, quality of them, ect.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Your best bet is to contact a logger for an estimate. What they pay (or won't) depends on the size of the trees, quality of them, ect.
Well, that's a start. A logger will cut the trees and remove them, and if you are lucky, will not leave the slash lying about in a mess...some are good, some are terrible.

But if a road is desired...or a "driveway", you will need to have an excavation contractor come in and bulldoze or use an excavator to make a proper road bed and lay the final surface, which will probably be gravel.

You will likely need a roadway with ditching down the sides to allow water runoff. Depending on how uneven the ground is, you may need culverts installed as well. Probably the entire roadway including ditching will be 18 feet wide.

I have had a rough estimate for the road that I will be putting in to my house site next spring. That driveway will be slightly more than 600 feet long and the entire project was guestimated at around $25,000, start to finish. Granted there are less expensive ways to do it, but I wouldn't want to have to have the guys come back after very heavy spring rains and reset culverts and regrade everything after two or three years.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Most of the logging contractors that I know build their roads with an excavator. The right-of-way is cut as mentioned before. Then an excavator is used to pull the slash into the road bed and stumps are pulled up and overturned. They form the base of the road. Some dirt from the ditch area is spread on top of this, and believe it or not, very little gravel is needed to complete the road. The inverted stumps are perfect for elevating and supporting the roadbed. The road is elevated, with graded ditches on both sides, and no debris pushed off to the sides as you would have with a dozer. I wouldn't think of having a road/driveway built through what is currently woods without having it done with an excavator. I think up in the County the going rate for this type of work is around $3 to $4/ft not counting any gravel. I would think it would be comparable in the Downeast area.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Most of the logging contractors that I know build their roads with an excavator. The right-of-way is cut as mentioned before. Then an excavator is used to pull the slash into the road bed and stumps are pulled up and overturned. They form the base of the road. Some dirt from the ditch area is spread on top of this, and believe it or not, very little gravel is needed to complete the road. The inverted stumps are perfect for elevating and supporting the roadbed. The road is elevated, with graded ditches on both sides, and no debris pushed off to the sides as you would have with a dozer. I wouldn't think of having a road/driveway built through what is currently woods without having it done with an excavator. I think up in the County the going rate for this type of work is around $3 to $4/ft not counting any gravel. I would think it would be comparable in the Downeast area.
There is a substantial difference between a loggers' road and a road created to service an investment in real property intended to last for decades.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
acadianlion,
There is also difference between a road built to support 200,000 lb vehicles and a road built to support passenger cars. I stand by my recommendation.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 AM

39 posts, read 64,486 times
Default driveway bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
There is a substantial difference between a loggers' road and a road created to service an investment in real property intended to last for decades.
Thanks again Kelly and Arcadianlion.
In a week or so I will meet with several loggers and a planer from Bangor Power and Light. My intention was to remove the stumps myself since I have a Fermec 860 backhoe comparable to the Cat 430. As to bury the stumps in the driveway, I have some reservations. Wont that just create problems down the road when they rot out? I had planed on bringing in several loads of bank run and leveling. I will probably have some problems with run off since the property slops down to the bay. For the last 300 feet the utilities will be buried along side of the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine