U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,072 posts, read 1,223,689 times

Advertisements

What do you believe is more profitable - the wool or the hide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,545,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
What do you believe is more profitable - the wool or the hide?
Depends on the breed, I would think. If it is a breed with excellent wool, clean and vermin-free, properly and nicely sheared I would say sell the fleece and then the "shearling" hide elsewhere.

If it is a meat breed or one not specifically bred for wool I dunno... I would still think giving it the 4-H show type cleaning first (while on the hoof...) might make a nice fleece rug if properly tanned.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 AM

21,797 posts, read 28,255,217 times
We now have a 4year old wether, trying to decide a game plan.

He runs with our goats nicely.

Do we keep him, and sheer him every spring?

Do we put him in the freezer, and tan his hide?

Hmm.

One sheep worth of wool is not much in terms of doing things with wool. In terms of not doing things with wool it is a lot of wool.

Having spoken with members of a wool co-op, basically for a small producer, you just give them the wool. As the fees for processing will consume any worth the wool had.

A hide is nice to have, though the fees for tanning one hide can be, ...

I have looked into tanning before, though a batch of the chems was costly and does not last long. So you need to save up a bunch of hides to make it worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine