Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And I called my baby sister earlier who lives in SE Houston. I asked her where she was going to stay over the weekend. She said, "You mean it's coming here????" Theresa?Where has this child been all week?
It only means shes got a very busy life, and no time ( like me) to read the paper or catch the news at 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
If our house goes "poof" we'll be there as soon as the insurance check comes. If it goes "swish", we're up ****creek without insurance! The TX HO policy does not cover flooding.

Latest update: the county just below us and all of Galveston (90 miles southeast) is under mandatory evacuation now. The storm has grown to 578 miles wide. Yuck!!!
Well will pray for a "touch down just on your house... possibly a 2 full turns - then up ..up and away.
I can see you at the claim counter.
"Yes I like to annouce my house has taken a one way trip to OZ." So tell Aunti M to get her pen ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I feel for you El. The last 'cane we went through in FL before moving to TN, John got pulled to the substation - he worked for the sheriff's office. Had to pack his things and move over there until further notice. They worked 12s during that time too.

We got nailed with a cat 4 that luckily dropped to a 3 right before making landfall just south of us in the Everglades area. We lost power for 10 days and landline and cell phone service for a few days. It was well past the eye leaving (36 hours?) before we had a deputy stop to check on the kids and I and let us know that John was ok. Keeping the kids busy and out of trouble and worrying about him was a full time job.

On the upside, the storm brought a much needed cool front - very welcome with no air conditioning and electricity. And the kids thought it was like camping indoors - they had a blast. We made pancakes on the gas grill for breakfast and they were out of school for a good week. And the damage at home was limited to a couple torn patio screens and a tree that fell and took out a small portion of the fence. We were very lucky.

Stay safe and keep us updated. You're all in our prayers.
I really loved hearing the kids adjusted to the situation with a possitive attitude. Just what you need when your feeling the stress of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I really loved hearing the kids adjusted to the situation with a possitive attitude. Just what you need when your feeling the stress of the situation.

Thanks. They're really great kids. They are so good about rolling with the punches, whatever the situation.

I've not checked the weather since leaving the house this AM. Does anyone know how it's going over there? That stinking thing was taking up the entire Gulf of Mexico when I left the house this morning. Or at least that's how it looked on the map. Yikes!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM

323 posts, read 992,616 times
When I heard hurricane and Houston, I thought of you EL. Hope your travels are safe and everything is good when you return. My prayers are with you and your family!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Hey Folks! We're hanging out in the country today, but now we're hearing that we have to balance avoiding the hurricane down south and the flooding all the way up here! We're about an hour south of Dallas, and this storm will push all the way through, bringing Dallas an estimated 12" of rain. Unbelievable! We're talking about how to avoid getting stuck up here in a flood now, so as soon as things clear down there and we get the word that it's safe to return, I guess we'll have to see if we can drive it. I just have no idea how quickly this thing will move north enough that we can get home.

Galveston Island is already flooding, and the storm hasn't made landfall yet. That's not a good sign! The thing is so big,it's taking in a huge area as it churns along. It's crazy. I've never seen anything like it.

Can't wait to enjoy those blizzards in Maine!!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
I sent you a message El. Let me know if you need anything. We've got you in our thoughts here. Stay safe.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
I'm glad you checked in! I just down to DM Molly to ask if she'd heard from you. Stay safe!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Yeah, blizzards are cool--um, literally. It can be kind of fun to hunker down with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book, with a storm swirling outside. Of course blizzards and heavy snowstorms and the like can be a pain at times as well, but at least you know your house will still be there when it's over, which usually is the way you want it to be. Good to hear you're hanging in there, El.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,848 times
Thinking of you El and hoping for the best.

Praying for everyone in the path of Ike.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,544 times
YIKES El! Hope you're ok. I just saw this picture at NASA. It's so huge. Very beautiful from space but we know better.

NASA - View of Hurricane Ike From Space Station

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,044 times
Smile Best of WISHES to ELCARIM & others in the area! :0)

GOOD LUCK & BEST OF WISHES TO ELCARIM!

My thoughts & prayers are with all of you in the PATH of the HURRICANE!

STAY SAFE & DRY!

Take gentle care!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 09-12-2008 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY!:0) PEACE & BLESSINGS! :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine