U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM

160 posts, read 283,079 times

Advertisements

Veterans: How is the service from the Vet Clinics, esp the one in Calais?

THANKS for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Aren't there any military Veterans in Calais?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,021,828 times
Sorry Jolly, I can't help you there. Forestbeekeeper knows a lot more about Vet medical services than I do, though he's not in that area. May I suggest you give the clinic a call and ask them what services are available for you there? Best of luck to you.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 AM

Default Maine Veterans

THANKS msina! I did find this online: (for other VETS looking); Is Forestbeekeeper a veteran?

Calais Community Based Outpatient Clinic

[SIZE=1]Calais VA Clinic was originally opened in November 1992 using the Togus Mobile Health Clinic. The latest fixed clinic site opened in its current location in October 2005. The patient population has grown considerably over the years and we now serve over 1500 Downeast veterans. Calais CBOC has a full complement of VA staff providing physical, mental health and administrative services.

Services Provided
Primary Care and Preventive Health Services
Mental Health Services
Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
Medical Benefits Counseling
Laboratory Services

Key Contacts
Clinic Point of Contact: Jane Donnell, R.N.
CBOC Firm Manager: Mary Anderson, R.N.
Togus Point of Contact:
Kevin Kruse, M.D., Primary Care Service Line Manager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM

7,728 posts, read 11,021,828 times
Mr. Forest is retired military. Glad you found some info online but, I'd still give them a call. They may be able to fill you in on things you can't find online.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM

30,639 posts, read 49,293,953 times
Sorry, I first looked at this thread and I thought that it really did not pertain to me. So I did not post.

I know a bunch of guys who use Togus. Being VA obviously they hate it, but it is available so what is the point in complaining?

I tried NAS Brunswick, but they have no room for retirees.

I was able to find a local insurance underwriter to Tricare. It is called 'martin's Point'. With Martin's Point I now see civilian doctors. Doctors who have gone through college and medical school. So it is hugely better than Mil Med. After decades of being treated by 18 - 20 year old corpsman this is much better.

My Dw loves this too. Being seen by civilian doctors is really great! We just can't communicate how much better it is to finally be treated by folks who have a background in medicine. This is much better than Active Duty medical treatment.

I could tell you stories. Really having been on Active Duty is why I learned to do my own sutures, and I have had to do sutures into our children for the same reasons.

Vets in Calais? I do not know. I assume that they drive down to Togus.

May God bless you.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 PM

THANKS Mr Bee for replying ... I know exactly what you're saying ; my Phoenix AZ VA experience was worse than the pits ; however for the last 6 years I've been visiting the Minneapolis VA and I'll admit they are very caring people - I know, hard to believe but thy do put the veteran first ... I guess it depends on the state

How far is Togus from Calis/Eastport area?

THANKS to both you and msina for helping with this issue!!!

REALLY??? No bees in Maine?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM

9,767 posts, read 14,900,712 times
Togus is about 3 hours from Calais in good weather. I have been to Togus twice. The staff was professional and the facility neat, quiet and pleasant. There is a new VA clinic in Lincoln and a new one in Houlton which is only open 2 or 3 days a week until they get everything in place. Then it will be open daily. I know nothing personally about the clinic in Calais, but I have heard that it is open only a few days a week.

Yes, I'm a Vet too. Technically I'm a disabled vet, but it's due to the fact that I'm half deaf from being around too many jet engines, too many explosions and too many miniguns. It adds up. A minigun fires up to 6,000 rounds a minute. We had 3 on our gunships. That's 100 rounds per second out of each gun.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM

this is weird ; were you a crew chief/gunner? I was a crew chief on UH-1{H} in nam; I alternated between a M60 or a 50 cal depending on the mission; I'm 100% also mostly due to crashes

are you kidding about the 'no bees' in ME?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM

9,767 posts, read 14,900,712 times
I was a helicopter gun ship pilot. 556 missions in 13 months. I flew with the Seawolves in 70/71 in the Mekong Delta. We were the night shift. We flew a lot in the night and rain because we were Navy and trained for that. We supported the SEALs and Brown Water Navy. We also had .50 cal door guns. In our gun teams of two UH-1Cs we had the lead bird with a mini in the right door and the trail bird had a .50 cal.

I never crashed. When we went down they were all controlled landings. Never lost a bird. They were all recovered. Never lost a crewman either. I don't believe in luck. I believe in Divine providence.

Seawolf 25
Gentleman Flyer of the Delta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or