Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 64,019 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in moving back east, preferably Maine. Have visited Mass, NH, Vermont, CT but love Maine (born in NJ but raised in Arizona) I'm looking to make a move in the next year, anxious for 4 seasons. Outside it's 113, I've had enough Trying to get some insight regarding schools, housing, crime, etc. I'm looking at a home in Portersfield...does anyone know the area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Default moving to Maine

Good Morning! I've been checking my posting regularly and am curious why no one has an opinion. I'm looking to move near Porter, does anyone recognize the area or can offer input? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM

42 posts, read 176,993 times
Sorry you havent had any replies yet. Except this ultra cool one! we are leaving South Jersey for Maine in a month. We're moving near Portland. We just decided one day that where we live is not a good place to raise our daughter. we are making a huge profil on the house we have owned for 4 years, and our paying for at least half of the house in Maine up front. I dont know the area youre talking about at all. But in my opinion, even a bad part of Maine is a million times better than a bad part in NJ. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Thanks so much for replying!

I was actually born in Orange NJ! I was brought to Arizona 30 years ago. I think I was meant for the east coast though. Maine is absolutely beautiful. I've heard so many things about the state. I'm looking at Porter and surrounding areas. My brother lives in that area. My girls are in 5 & 7th grades, so I'm not sure about when I'm moving. I'm tired of living in Phoenix, it's overgrown, very transient. My kids have no idea about tradition or seasons. From what I'm seeing I'll do ok with selling my home, the housing is slowing down here so that's a bit of a concern. The market is now flooded with new home builds and resales. What's it like in NJ for selling?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 42,861 times
Default Moving To Maine

Well not 113 here but just nice weather. We live on a lake near Augusta and it is a real nice part of Maine. Great to bring up children as the crime rate is not real bad here. Drugs are all over the nation but not too bad here in central Maine. Winter has been light not much snow last year but it does get cool or cold and spring is late. If you have a good hobby and like to read well Maine is good for that. We do have higher taxes than a few places and job pay is lower just to let you know Maine is NOT a rich state.

It is a good place as I said for children and the Portland area is a little more grown up and the further north you go the less population there is. It is a give and take type deal and all in what you can live with or without. Homes have gone up ( on the lake is out of sight ) but other homes are in a fair price range.

We love this area and hope you will enjoy the trip back east !!

Regards,

Marty
Fayette, Maine

Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 PM

42 posts, read 176,993 times
I can't believe how many people are leaving NJ for Maine. We just got back from househunting, and we make settlement early August. As far as the housing market, I hope you have better luck selling than we did. Our house sat for 8 months, and the house we're buying for 11 months. We're so excited to finally leave. We live in Atlantic City right now, and the new house is in a small town bear Auburn. Looking forward to the culture shock, even. It's a different class of people there, altogether. I'm sure there are some jerks there, as well as in Jersey, but at least they have those charming accents to curse you out in!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up Moving

Good luck on the move. You have to give it time and please don't ask for more traffic lights when you get here. Central Maine Medical Center is a great place IF you need a hospital.

Enjoy the food here and there is NO GOOD PIZZA in Maine...!!

Been here now 20 years from CT and enjoy the lake and the winter too..

Marty & Lisa
Kents Hill, Maine

Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM

149 posts, read 1,094,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
Enjoy the food here and there is NO GOOD PIZZA in Maine...!!
Oh now, I must disagree. Pizza Hut is OK, but nothing beats a Pat's Pizza or House of Pizza.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Pizza

Guess you have never had Harry's Pizza in West Hartford, Ct or been to Wooster Street in New Haven, Ct now your talking pizza and not cardboard with sauce...

But in a pinch..Good Ole pat's will do or Village Cafe in Portland !!

Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,622 times
Default Want to be a Mrs. Paul's fishstick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingPhoenix
I'm interested in moving back east, preferably Maine. Have visited Mass, NH, Vermont, CT but love Maine (born in NJ but raised in Arizona) I'm looking to make a move in the next year, anxious for 4 seasons. Outside it's 113, I've had enough Trying to get some insight regarding schools, housing, crime, etc. I'm looking at a home in Portersfield...does anyone know the area? Thanks
I lived in Maine for several years. It is clean, quaint, and peaceful, but after a lifetime in New England, I finally became tired of shivering and shoveling, and now I live in West Texas, rejoicing in the very heat you are trying to escape. If you like a lot of cold and a lot of snow, then, by all means, proceed with your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine