Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM

111 posts, read 330,240 times

Advertisements

hello...as i will be new to all this snow once in maine i am wondering if & how well atv's do in snow....i will have a 4x4 atv for sure but am not certain about a snowsled at this point.....not really looking at recreation but getting in & out of a perhaps long driveway with my car at roadside
thanks
jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 59,799 times
Hubby drives his down the road to get onto the lake to ice fish and hasnt had any problems doing so, his is a 4x4 as well. You cant go on marked snowsled trails with them though...that is a huge NO-NO!!!! Your own property is fine however.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,602,796 times
ATVs are fine in snow up to about 6 inches without chains. At 12 inches they bog down even with chains. As soon as that floor pan begins to take weight off the tires you are stuck whether you have chains or not.

You can get a Vee plow for an ATV that will get you through an easy winter. When you head out in winter with an ATV be sure to have a good pair of snowshoes with you.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,722,452 times
Quote:
When you head out in winter with an ATV be sure to have a good pair of snowshoes with you.
Brings to mind the old adage:

With 2-wheel drive you'll get stuck; 4-wheel drive allows you to get really stuck.

A pair of snowshoes isn't a bad idea on a sled either, if you plan on getting off the marked trails...... he said based on personal experience.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 361,464 times
I personally groom over 15 miles of winter trails with my snowmobile during the winter months and am able to ride my quads on these trails. I have 2wd and 4wd ATV's. When the climate calls for freezing rain we ATVer's rejoice as the snow gets crusty and we are able to ride attop the snow in every location possible. Just beware that if you take off early in the AM and the sun comes out you must hurry home or you will be using those snowshoes that Northern Maine Land Man mentioned! LOL!!! I have also owned a set of ATV tracks for my quad and I really enjoyed these very much. They are very hard on the machine however and cause lots of premature wear and tear on the components of the ATV. Winter ATVing is one of my favorite sports! My passion of motorsports must be so revelant in my post!!!! LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine