U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM

39 posts, read 55,901 times
I must say I'm getting quite jealous of all of you Mainers after reading your beautiful descriptions of fall!! Here in SE WI, it's still about 75-80 degrees during the day with nary a red, orange, or gold leaf in sight! Fall won't truly come until about mid-October...sigh. I guess I can wait a few more weeks. BTW, great idea for a post! Fall is by far my absolute favorite season. It is so comforting to put away summer clothes and pull out my favorite sweaters and jeans, and my family and I wholeheartedly embrace the cooler weather and all of the fun fall activities. We are looking forward to a visit to the local pumpkin farm and seeing our toddler pick out his "first" pumpkin. However, the thing about fall that I love the most is the feeling that comes over me while walking outside in the wonderfully cool, fresh-smelling fall air-I feel slightly apprehensive, but not in a nervous way. It's more of an excitement; an anticipation of change in the air. Not just because winter is on its way. It's a wondering of,"What does the rest of this year have in store for me?" while reflecting on what already has been. It's something akin to that wonderful feeling we get when seeing crocuses poke their tiny heads through the snow after a long, hard winter. I am so thankful for 4 seasons-there is so much more to it than just a change of climate. Forgive my rambling; I guess I'm feeling a bit reflective and philosophical tonight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,613,025 times
[quote=Stephanie P;5441761]
Quote:
Never a word about unhappiness, hatred of the area or complaints of any kind.
thats becouse we are heavely self medicated.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 AM

469 posts, read 952,012 times
[quote=RANGER.101ST;5441804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
thats becouse we are heavely self medicated.
LOL! I thought that was only here in Texas!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:07 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,045,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Tonight we walked near the water's edge in the crisp fall air. We picked apples as we went from the many trees overflowing with ripe fruit. We looked up at trees that seemed to change their colors over night. The world around us is now going red, yellow, and orange, and I am reaffirmed once again of why I moved to this AMAZING place. While I love snow, this amazing fall leaves me knowing there must be a higher power in order to create such beauty!

How does fall speak to your heart?
I waited on replying to this thread since I wanted to give it some thought.

Fall is one of my favorite season.
I have more memories as a child in the fall then I do in another season.

I feel Young when fall starts. I think back to the school bus coming to pick me up. The outdoor play with new friends.
Warm foods starting to be baked again and the smells reached around the neighborhood.

I enjoy the scent of a woodstove filling the air which seemed to mean cozy family time together.

I believe we talk more to each other during this time of year.

The colors make you feel warm, even thou the air is cooling down.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 PM

is it me or did summer go by faster this year.it seems like juts last week that i was droping the plow off the truck and putting on the summer tires.fall is the time that most maineahs check their things to do list befor winter.and no matter how hard i work all summer i never seem to get it all done.and the older i get the faster the years go by.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,954,294 times
Fall used to be simply wonderful... the smells... smoke in the air, fallen leaves, etc. Now I think of the property taxes, and heating bills.

It's rough being a curmudgeon.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,565,191 times
Fall came early here. I'm still walking around in a little bit of disbelief that most of the garden is gone. Frost and 26* came early and often this year. The ash trees have lost a lot of leaves today.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Fall came early here. I'm still walking around in a little bit of disbelief that most of the garden is gone. Frost and 26* came early and often this year. The ash trees have lost a lot of leaves today.
oh good i thought it was just me.thought

Old 09-28-2008, 03:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,895,186 times
I keep seeing this thread pop up and everyday it's the same thing. I can't remember what a New England fall is supposed to be. You see, it's 93* now and will hit 99* later. Fall to me is not using my air conditioner. Taking my dark sunscreens off my windows to lighten up the house. Turning the lawn sprinklers off as it will probably start raining in a month or two. Raking leaves. Trimming and clipping. Raking more leaves. Supposed to be able to work and play outside in the cooler temps more except it gets dark too early now.

Oh well. No big deal. Fall is just not very exciting, eventful or anticipatory for me any more. Soon, I will be on the road to Missouri for an extended stay with a relative then on to Lake Norman near Charlotte, NC to stay with another relative to check on the real estate there before I end up in Maine. Taking time off from my business. Thinking about retirement and beyond.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,934,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I keep seeing this thread pop up and everyday it's the same thing. I can't remember what a New England fall is supposed to be. You see, it's 93* now and will hit 99* later. Fall to me is not using my air conditioner. Taking my dark sunscreens off my windows to lighten up the house. Turning the lawn sprinklers off as it will probably start raining in a month or two. Raking leaves. Trimming and clipping. Raking more leaves. Supposed to be able to work and play outside in the cooler temps more except it gets dark too early now.

Oh well. No big deal. Fall is just not very exciting, eventful or anticipatory for me any more. Soon, I will be on the road to Missouri for an extended stay with a relative then on to Lake Norman near Charlotte, NC to stay with another relative to check on the real estate there before I end up in Maine. Taking time off from my business. Thinking about retirement and beyond.
I know what you mean! Fall months mean that DH only has to mow once or twice a month instead of four times! He's still doing it in upper 80/low 90 degree weather. But it also mean cooler nights and early mornings. It was 62 this morning. Refreshing for Southeast Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine