U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,471,664 times
Ok. That sounds like our Marshall's stores. All name brand clothing/household items at drastic price cuts. I bought a cocktail dress a few months back that had a retail sticker for $129. I paid $19.99, and it's absolutely gorgeous! Yep, those are the kinds of deals I live for. I prefer the quality of more expensive items, but I just won't pay inflated prices for a name tag.

Unread 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM

3,069 posts, read 4,864,171 times
Mmm, Marden's isn;t really anything like Marshall's. Marden's is a salvage/surplus store. If a store in another state has a fire, Marden's will buy what they can salvage. (mardensdotcom)
Some things you have to really sort through to find a bargain. Its not quite as simple as going in and grabbing the first dress in your size off the rack. You will want to check for any tears, stains, smell (from a fire), ect. Although they have improved alot since they first open.
I'd say they are a few steps above shopping at Goodwill or the Salvation Army store.
Their slogan is "I should of bought it when I saw it Marden's". And you better, because if you go back the next day it is very likely to be gone.
If a person doesn't like shopping at thrift stores, then I doubt they will like Marden's. I have a daughter who thinks she is "too good" to shop there. Funny thing is, she loved it when she was younger.

Unread 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM

21,278 posts, read 4,705,179 times
I love Reny's in Belfast and Ellsworth. Have only been to the Marden's in Bangor, which was okay, but Reny's reminds me of the Christmas Tree Shops we have down here on the Cape, only with clothes.

Unread 10-21-2008, 11:56 PM

181 posts, read 304,799 times
El, do they have Big Lots in Texas? That's the closest thing I can think of to Marden's. Maybe Tuesday Morning Shops, if you have those.

Unread 10-22-2008, 06:05 AM

Ewww! I'm sworn off Big Lots forever, so I wouldn't shop Mardens for sure! BL is dirty and crowded and has so much stuff crammed into small spaces that you have to suck in your gut to get between the racks. It's not a pleasant shopping experience. Add to that 98 degree heat and tremendously over-populated areas where people are always tripping over one another in the stores......the last AND FINAL time I went into a BL, Brad had to lead me out by the shoulders after I had a panic attack. I'm a tad claustrophobic and when I get over-heated on top of that, it's a bad combination for me.

Unread 10-22-2008, 08:32 AM

7,378 posts, read 7,831,497 times
ohhh, well, Mardens is a walk in the park compared to that I'm not nuts about it, but it's not as bad as that at all--we'll go in. I've bought a crockpot in there, the microwave that's in the house in Eastport came from there, so did the mattress covers. But, I only go in if I'm looking for something specific, or I've heard something has come in I might want. Good place to buy Christmas wrapping paper. BUT, I wash my hands as soon as I leave, I can't explain it better than that. Katy and Amy have done their Halloween shopping there for the last couple of years.

I was just thinking, I only go into *any* store most of the time if I'm looking for something specific I'm just not a shopper!

Unread 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM

653 posts, read 1,149,689 times
it is like but not exactly, either because of people who work there or people who shop there make those two outlet different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Ewww! I'm sworn off Big Lots forever, so I wouldn't shop Mardens for sure! BL is dirty and crowded and has so much stuff crammed into small spaces that you have to suck in your gut to get between the racks. It's not a pleasant shopping experience. Add to that 98 degree heat and tremendously over-populated areas where people are always tripping over one another in the stores......the last AND FINAL time I went into a BL, Brad had to lead me out by the shoulders after I had a panic attack. I'm a tad claustrophobic and when I get over-heated on top of that, it's a bad combination for me.

Unread 10-22-2008, 09:31 AM

3,069 posts, read 4,864,171 times
The Mardens we shopped at weren't dirty. Kmart was the dirty store in the a.m. Big Lots was ok too.
You may not care for Marden's as it can be crowded in there if they have something special in.
Not sure what there are for stores in the Eastport area.
Lewiston Auburn area didn't have much to offer for shopping until Kohl's came to the area.
Now I have Kohl's, Macy's, Dillards, Mervins, ect to choose from.

Unread 10-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
it is like but not exactly, either because of people who work there or people who shop there make those two outlet different.
It's likely because of the people who work there. We've never experienced such clean public facilities as we did in Maine. And the service couldn't be beat. The people at drive-thru windows talked to us and greeted us with smiles........you just don't get that down here!

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:49 AM

Ok, can anyone tell me what we'll be paying roughly to transfer our vehicle registration in Eastport? It's an '02 Chrysler Town & Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine