Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times

Advertisements

Mermie, we ate cold turkey sandwiches on WHITE bread too, with miracle whip, stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce. OMG STUFFED pigs!!! lol Definitely nap time after that business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
If there's white bread in the house you know there's a turkey in our fridge! Turkey on anything else doesn't taste quite right.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If there's white bread in the house you know there's a turkey in our fridge! Turkey on anything else doesn't taste quite right.
I never thought of that! I've been eatting wheat at home for so long I never really noticed. ... Your right.
That's probably why I love having those Turkey deluxes at Border Town~ They are on a warm white sub roll and full of the fixen's.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Ditto, I can't agree more, it is my worst habbit, I can't eat a turkey sandwich without real mayo and soft white bread.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Yah, but Wonder bread is a bit too soft! lol

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I have two loaves of oatmeal bread in the oven right now. Those would work. It's almost a white bread with texture.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Mermie, we ate cold turkey sandwiches on WHITE bread too, with miracle whip, stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce. OMG STUFFED pigs!!! lol Definitely nap time after that business!
Wow!!!!!!!!! That sounds really, really good! I love Thanksgiving(even though I don't get the nap)

Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I'm packing tonight, and will head out in the morning to CT to spend Thanksgiving with my Aunt and sister....I have this wonderful wreath to give my Aunt

You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2008, 02:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
We're having our family here at our house this year. Last year! No-one could make up their minds where to host, so I did it for them. I'm honestly NOT looking forward to it, and I hate that. I'd like to enjoy our last regular Thanksgiving with them.......I may just have to put my foot down and nix any and all talk of our move, so we can have a nice day.

That and a new bottle of Captain Morgan's should do the trick!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM

96 posts, read 201,308 times
Talking Oyster stuffing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Will someone share a good New England style (if there is such thing) dressing recipe with me? And do you stuff your bird or make the stuffing separate?

As a matter of fact, what is the typical NE Thanksgiving dinner menu?
I think the typical NE turkey dinner is same as most folks, though everyone has their own twist on certain dishes. In my family we have always had oyster stuffing, and I can't fathom eating any other kind! In fact, since childhood I have been a stuffing hoarder and barely touch the turkey. I love it so much that I make it as a side dish throughout the year (last week in fact!). It's quite simple to make, you just saute chopped onions and celery in a stick of butter. Take 2/3 loaf of bread, chopped or broken up into bits (helps if you let it dry out in the oven for a minute, or just air dry for a bit first). Once the onions and celery are looking nice, remove from heat and add in 1/2 of the bread, saturating it in the butter mixture. Mix in lots of thyme and sage, a bit of salt too if you like. Take 1 can of boiled oysters, drain them, chop them up a bit on a cutting board. Mix them in with the mixture in the pan, and once it's mixed, throw it in a big bowl with the rest of the bread, thoroughly mixing it with your hands (be careful of hot butter! Owweee!). Then bake in a 325 oven for 25 minutes. You can cover it with foil if you want it more moist, or just remove the foil in the last several minutes to brown the top.
It's to die for, but some people find it too rich. I can't imagine a holiday without it! My dad stuffs the turkey with it, but I have found that no size turkey can hold enough stuffing to go around, so I usually bake a big bowl besides.
The other staples of our dinner are green bean casserole, a fat can of cranberry sauce that stays mostly untouched, a bowl of black olives, German mashed potatoes, and homemade pumpkin and squash pies. And EGGNOG!! Gotta get me some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine