Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,757 times

Advertisements

So essentially, one has to consider the percentage of income that is spent on taxes.
I'll bet that with smaller gov't. and less services, Maine takes a smaller % than most other states.
I'll bet the more astute reluctant tax-paying population makes sure it stays that way, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuke View Post
I'll bet that with smaller gov't. and less services, Maine takes a smaller % than most other states.
I'll bet the more astute reluctant tax-paying population makes sure it stays that way, too.
I'll bet you are wrong. I lived in Maine for close to 20 years and ME takes a much larger % of income in taxes than any other State I have lived in. It is one of the reasons I moved away and will not return unless to visit family and friends. I'll never live and work there again.

Tax Policy Center
State Tax rates

Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
... I'll bet the more astute reluctant tax-paying population makes sure it stays that way, too.
Unfortunately Maine voters tend to pass every possible method of raising taxes.

It is very rare to see any bond fail to pass.

Mainers do love raising their taxes.

What each of us feels is different. I have lived many other places before settling here. In my experience I have never seen such low taxes. At the same time, the previous poster has not seen such high taxes.

Where in Maine you look, what lifestyle you live, and how much you actually earn, are all variables that influence this.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Where in Maine you look, what lifestyle you live, and how much you actually earn, are all variables that influence this.

Exactly right. Submariner has a set of unique circumstances that work very well for he and his wife. If you are still working age and still raising a family the taxes can raise VERY quickly with income.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'll bet you are wrong. I lived in Maine for close to 20 years and ME takes a much larger % of income in taxes than any other State I have lived in. It is one of the reasons I moved away and will not return unless to visit family and friends. I'll never live and work there again.
Thank god for you, you got the hill out of here. Now... you feel better. Too bad you didn't live in the state I lived in for 98.3870967741935 % of my life, where the total taxes were much higher than Maine.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
So essentially, one has to consider the percentage of income that is spent on taxes.
Maine has a small gov't? Where's it at?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Thank god for you, you got the hill out of here. Now... you feel better. Too bad you didn't live in the state I lived in for 98.3870967741935 % of my life, where the total taxes were much higher than Maine.
No need for sarcasm, you have your experience with Maines tax structure, I had mine. Doesn't make one "more" true than the other, just different and BOTH correct. For you it is lower taxes, for me it was much higher. Somebody making a move to a different State needs ALL the information that will affect them and that move. For some, Maine will have lower overall taxes, for others it will have higher. Seeing both sides on a thread like this will make them look closer at something that has the potential to either bite them in the rear-end or be a pleasant surprise if the move is made without all the information.

I am glad I didn't live in the State you spent most of your life. Why would I want to pay even more taxes than Maine took? Just so Maine would seem like a bargain when overall it was NOT for me? That makes zero sense.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:13 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No need for sarcasm, you have your experience with Maines tax structure, I had mine. Doesn't make one "more" true than the other, just different and BOTH correct. For you it is lower taxes, for me it was much higher. Somebody making a move to a different State needs ALL the information that will affect them and that move. For some, Maine will have lower overall taxes, for others it will have higher. Seeing both sides on a thread like this will make them look closer at something that has the potential to either bite them in the rear-end or be a pleasant surprise if the move is made without all the information.

I am glad I didn't live in the State you spent most of your life. Why would I want to pay even more taxes than Maine took? Just so Maine would seem like a bargain when overall it was NOT for me? That makes zero sense.
If I'm not mistaken, he retired to Maine. There's a difference between retirees and someone in their prime working years.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If I'm not mistaken, he retired to Maine. There's a difference between retirees and someone in their prime working years.
Which goes back to the migration of retirees moving to Maine.

As retirees, they are on pension and they see lower incomes than when they were working. [assuming they pay income taxes at all]

With 'progressive' tax structures, high income folks are taxed more. Lower income folks [like pensioners] are taxed less.

The same goes for vehicle taxes in Maine. Instead of flat fees, say everyone must pay $600/vehicle every year. In Maine, newer vehicles are taxed more, and expensive vehicles are taxed more. Older beaters that were cheap when they were new are taxed less. Two people each drive pickup trucks; one pays $400 in excise tax, while the other pays $15 in excise tax.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Which goes back to the migration of retirees moving to Maine.

As retirees, they are on pension and they see lower incomes than when they were working. [assuming they pay income taxes at all]

With 'progressive' tax structures, high income folks are taxed more. Lower income folks [like pensioners] are taxed less.

The same goes for vehicle taxes in Maine. Instead of flat fees, say everyone must pay $600/vehicle every year. In Maine, newer vehicles are taxed more, and expensive vehicles are taxed more. Older beaters that were cheap when they were new are taxed less. Two people each drive pickup trucks; one pays $400 in excise tax, while the other pays $15 in excise tax.
Vehicle excise tax aside which is based on the sticker price of the car and has no correlation to how much one drives or how damaging it might be to our roads and a tax I see as completely unfair I have never had a real issue with a progressive tax structure. I guess this makes me Liberal?? IDK but I do think there should be a limit to the percentage of ones income the government can take.

I feel the bigger issue is the size of government, and how the money is wasted/being spent. A much smaller more efficient government where the ones who are paying the bulk of the tax can at least feel like the government is working for them probably won't have as much as an issue I know I wouldn't

bad roads, bridges falling apart, poor infrastructure, massive welfare and wealth redistribution along with government salaries that appear to be in access leave a sour taste.. and not all of these things do I see here in Maine necessarily but certainly we have a welfare issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine