U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving back to Maine to die in peace, Florida resident, nearing retirement, armchair builders, southwest corner of Virginia, Blueridge Mountains, economic disasters

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM

312 posts, read 450,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Well, we travelled back to Washington County, Maine in July. We had moved DOWN SOUTH...thought we would enjoy the nice weather. Bought a beautiful home.. but we just were not happy here. The people were great. So we are moving back.. We are closing on a little house in Baileyville on the 27th. Hope to Gosh this house here sells fast!!. I know we are taking a big risk.. but our hearts are in Maine and we are not getting any younger..Keep us in your prayers.. Oh forgot anyone one know of a handyman or fence person in or near Baileyville to do a kind of a big fence project?????? I have to make sure my little dogs are safe and happy!
Best of luck to you, gussie!!

*tap*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,140,524 times
Welcome, gussie and gl on the move back home!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:30 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,956,911 times
Check with peachie or maine writer for the handyman help. They both live near there.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 PM

440 posts, read 1,041,054 times
How do I get in touch with peachie or maine writer.??. trying to get this fence installed by the 1st week in november...wish i could wait til spring, but i have 1 crazy dog that has to be fenced.. thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,149,930 times
Quote:
How do I get in touch with peachie or maine writer.??. trying to get this fence installed by the 1st week in november...wish i could wait til spring, but i have 1 crazy dog that has to be fenced.. thanks
Try a Direct Message with either peachie or Maine Writer in the address bar.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,569,347 times
Quote:
I'll DM a name and number to you. I know he can't do the work but he might know someone who can. We're lacking handymen. Have you looked at the ads in the Advertiser? There might be someone in there.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,567,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'll DM a name and number to you. I know he can't do the work but he might know someone who can. We're lacking handymen. Have you looked at the ads in the Advertiser? There might be someone in there.
"Lacking Handymen?" Really? That's GREAT news actually.

Many, many years ago when I first came to Maine permanently, there was nothing for me to do...either I was "overqualified" or totally not qualified and the jobs availability was very thin.

By accident I got a small job that lasted about five days working for the local oil company as a day laborer. Then my phone rang and I was asked if I would like a couple of days sanding the bright work on some guys outboard boat. One thing led to another and I found that there was NEVER anyone around to do a little odd job.

So I put a note on the bulletin board in the grocery store, and a little ad in the newspaper. And I started to get work. Through that first winter I had something to do, and somewhere to go every day. Four bucks an hour in those days!

Two years ago when my son to be ex-son in law, aka "The Genius" booked out of Maine in a hurry to take a job in Virginia and leaving his home in pretty much a shambles, I hauled my table saw and mitre saw over and finished off the new ceiling that he started to finish, trimmed out the dining room, and repainted the entire interior of the house so my soon to be ex son in law and my daughter had a fighting chance at renting the place. I was told by the Sherwin Williams store manager in that area that they ALWAYS had need of an odd job kind of person, and to leave my card. My daughter's real estate broker told me they had a list of houses needing a little of this or that for resale.

Well, I am retiring. I have sold some of the pieces of my granite business, will be liquidating the heavy equipment shortly, and my wife and I intend to move away from where we live now, build a new home and "retire".

Retire. Right. I can almost see me REALLY retire. But maybe I'll hang out my shingle and start doing some odd jobs again. (My wife will be THRILLED, I am sure!)

Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,140,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
"Lacking Handymen?" Really? That's GREAT news actually.

Many, many years ago when I first came to Maine permanently, there was nothing for me to do...either I was "overqualified" or totally not qualified and the jobs availability was very thin.

By accident I got a small job that lasted about five days working for the local oil company as a day laborer. Then my phone rang and I was asked if I would like a couple of days sanding the bright work on some guys outboard boat. One thing led to another and I found that there was NEVER anyone around to do a little odd job.

So I put a note on the bulletin board in the grocery store, and a little ad in the newspaper. And I started to get work. Through that first winter I had something to do, and somewhere to go every day. Four bucks an hour in those days!

Two years ago when my son to be ex-son in law, aka "The Genius" booked out of Maine in a hurry to take a job in Virginia and leaving his home in pretty much a shambles, I hauled my table saw and mitre saw over and finished off the new ceiling that he started to finish, trimmed out the dining room, and repainted the entire interior of the house so my soon to be ex son in law and my daughter had a fighting chance at renting the place. I was told by the Sherwin Williams store manager in that area that they ALWAYS had need of an odd job kind of person, and to leave my card. My daughter's real estate broker told me they had a list of houses needing a little of this or that for resale.

Well, I am retiring. I have sold some of the pieces of my granite business, will be liquidating the heavy equipment shortly, and my wife and I intend to move away from where we live now, build a new home and "retire".

Retire. Right. I can almost see me REALLY retire. But maybe I'll hang out my shingle and start doing some odd jobs again. (My wife will be THRILLED, I am sure!)
Funny I thought the same thing when I saw MW's post. My DH does all kind of reapir jobs. We have anolder home and he's very thourough at what he does. We just had a discussion last night about the fact that I think I know what his job in Eastport will be. Yet another thing that will get us there sooner.

Perhaps your wife and I can hang out when you two are on a job !

Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,569,347 times
I need new windows put in (guy who was going to do it doesn't have time) and siding put on the barn for starts. The duck house needs to be repaired and so on...and on and on. There's never a lack of things to do here. Steve works a minimum of 60 hours a week. I'm not willing to give up family fun time to work all weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine