U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,749,244 times
Actually Eastport's population is closer to 2000 than 1200 and actually the IGA carries a wide variety of foods, fresh foods and fresh meats, along with a Deli, a coffee bar and they serve take out lunches and breakfasts.

Poverty is not rampart nor are the property taxes that high (lower than the taxes on our winter home in WV).

Within a ten minute drive is the IGA, the Farmer's Union and the little grocery across from the Post Office. So that's actually 3 choices for food instead of just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,189,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obake View Post
I grew up in Eastport. There's always a boom/bust thing going on there. Population when I lived there was about 2500...now it's down to about 1200 year round residents. It's a beautiful place to live but my father always said that "you can't eat the scenery". If you have an outside source of income you'll be good. There are many things that are wonderful there, the people are friendly, no crime, beautiful scenery, clean air, etc. I don't think we ever even had keys to our house and the car keys always stayed in the ignition.

Some things to consider.
-Taxes are high, city services are low and the whole region is scraping by on the fringe of a resource economy. Poverty is rampant.
- High cost of heating your home for the winter. Plan on heating from October through May and to spend a minimum of $5k on heating oil.
-Closest hospitals for medical emergencies are 45 minutes (Calais) and 1 hour (Machias). The area clinics don't cut it.
-Food is available only from one grocery store so prices are not competitive and choice/quality of produce/product is not so great.
-Pharamcy, movies, hardware, homegoods, furniture, clothing...anything other than basic food shopping requires a drive to Calais or a 3 hour drive over the road we call "the Airline" from Calais to Bangor.
a couple of things....

I grew up in Eastport, moved away for quite a while, and now I'm in Calais....

I've NEVER spent 5K a year on heating geez? who would?? I'd have to leave all the windows open to drive it up like that.

Calais is 45 minutes away? maybe by horse... not by car, not by a long shot The Eastport Health Center has been wonderful for many, many people that I know, including my children and I, and so has Calais Regional Hospital. I can't, however, say that about the hospital in Machias.

Taxes in Eastport are high, I agree... but when you're spending money on two schools and don't have enough students to make it worthwhile, that happens.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM

312 posts, read 441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
nor are the property taxes that high (lower than the taxes on our winter home in WV).
Boy, that's sure the truth -- I think as far as property taxes are concerned, it all depends on where you're comin' from....the property taxes in Eastport are way lower than in Pennsylvania, too (guess that's why it's lovingly nicknamed Taxylvania)....

Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 PM

129 posts, read 148,843 times
Living here these days, I think the IGA is a really fine market that makes shopping a breeze. In general the quality and selection leave very little to be desired by our family, and the prices can be very competitive if you shop smart. A big difference is, if I have an issue or if there is something that I would like to see on the shelves, I can talk to Robert or Marilyn and it will be taken care of. In fact my only complaint is that they should have some tables so we could sit and socialize instead of standing around in the aisles. There is also the farmers market and Quoddy Bay fish market during the summer, and a strong local food co-op.
I was budgeting $2,000.00 for fuel oil this year, but now I'm hoping to cut that back seriously with the price going down and a new to us woodstove in the kitchen. We will be toasty in our 100+ year old 5 bdrm 2 bath house, and it will cost us far less than what we spent on heat and AC in North Carolina 5 years ago.
Taxes are not high compared to where we came from, about half of what we paid 5 years ago, and the streets are always plowed.
We have made 3 trips to Calais Hospital, car wreck for a daughter, hernia surgery for me, and X-rays for my young son's foot. The experiences were all good, whereas almost all of our big city ER or big hospital experiences were horrer stories. Other than those instances, all of our (family of 6) health/dental needs have been taken care of quite well by the clinic here in Eastport. My 83 year old mother and her 83 yr old husband also get most of their care through the Health center.
There are 1 or 2 movies a week at the Art Center, not to mention a play or a concert virtually every week. If you google "CulturePass" and click on "Events", you may be overwelmed by the options that this area has to offer.
We rehab houses and rarely ever have to leave town to get anything. We salvage local stuff and between the very fine local hardware store and two building supply places that offer free next day or even same day delivery, with no minimum, we have just about anything we need. If we do go to Calais or Machias, we stock up. A few times a year we go up to Bangor or to Canada as a family shopping trip, but it's hectic and over-rated and we're always glad to come back across the causeway.
If you really love big cities and lots of choices, you probably won't like Eastport, and there are some things that you have to get used to even if you do like it (make your own cheeseburgers). But if poverty is rampant, this is an incredibly fine place to be poor.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,799,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
Living here these days, I think the IGA is a really fine market that makes shopping a breeze. In general the quality and selection leave very little to be desired by our family, and the prices can be very competitive if you shop smart. A big difference is, if I have an issue or if there is something that I would like to see on the shelves, I can talk to Robert or Marilyn and it will be taken care of. In fact my only complaint is that they should have some tables so we could sit and socialize instead of standing around in the aisles. There is also the farmers market and Quoddy Bay fish market during the summer, and a strong local food co-op.
I was budgeting $2,000.00 for fuel oil this year, but now I'm hoping to cut that back seriously with the price going down and a new to us woodstove in the kitchen. We will be toasty in our 100+ year old 5 bdrm 2 bath house, and it will cost us far less than what we spent on heat and AC in North Carolina 5 years ago.
Taxes are not high compared to where we came from, about half of what we paid 5 years ago, and the streets are always plowed.
We have made 3 trips to Calais Hospital, car wreck for a daughter, hernia surgery for me, and X-rays for my young son's foot. The experiences were all good, whereas almost all of our big city ER or big hospital experiences were horrer stories. Other than those instances, all of our (family of 6) health/dental needs have been taken care of quite well by the clinic here in Eastport. My 83 year old mother and her 83 yr old husband also get most of their care through the Health center.
There are 1 or 2 movies a week at the Art Center, not to mention a play or a concert virtually every week. If you google "CulturePass" and click on "Events", you may be overwelmed by the options that this area has to offer.
We rehab houses and rarely ever have to leave town to get anything. We salvage local stuff and between the very fine local hardware store and two building supply places that offer free next day or even same day delivery, with no minimum, we have just about anything we need. If we do go to Calais or Machias, we stock up. A few times a year we go up to Bangor or to Canada as a family shopping trip, but it's hectic and over-rated and we're always glad to come back across the causeway.
If you really love big cities and lots of choices, you probably won't like Eastport, and there are some things that you have to get used to even if you do like it (make your own cheeseburgers). But if poverty is rampant, this is an incredibly fine place to be poor.
Wonderful post! The day we left Maine to come back to Texas we stopped at the grocery store (I think it was Hannafords) to buy some of that wonderful coffee we'd been having at the local restaurants. I went in while everyone sat in the van waiting. When I FINALLY emerged from the store, Brad asked what had taken so long when all I carried was 5 bags of coffee. Well, I had to see what the whole store looked like. It was all set up very differently than ours here! I was curious. But while I was walking around, I began noticing the isles with several clusters of people standing around talking and sipping coffee. Men and women were just chatting away - some with baskets, some without. Weird!!! I ended up just people gazing while I was in there, not quite understanding what I was witnessing. It looked like a coffee shop atmosphere! They were all discussing preparations for the big snow storm that was starting that day. We ended up driving across 4 states in that storm! Anyway, I just thought that was the oddest, yet coolest thing to see in a grocery store.

Now, can you tell me about the food co-op and what they do? I've heard the term. I just have no idea what it actually is.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 AM

312 posts, read 441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
Your posts always paint such an inspiring picture of Eastport, Will....I hope Dano and I can get there soon....it is sooooo us!

In the meantime, we'll live vicariously through your wonderful posts....

Thank you!!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM

26 posts, read 34,451 times
I've been in touch with Pat (real estate agent) regarding a rental downtown. She sent pictures today and I sent back paperwork. It is getting closer to the time I'm coming up (Thanksgiving week). I've enjoyed reading everything on this forum and learning all about Maine. I feel like I know so many of you already. I can hardly wait!!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 AM

129 posts, read 148,843 times
You might want to put in a clause about being able to back out of a rental if you find something better. Downtown rentals are great, but in the winter you can't park on the street, and it can be a cold walk. The other thing is if the heat is included. some people do that, but with these beautiful old apartments with the high ceilings you are heating a lot more space that you can't get to unless you live on a ladder. If your cat is an inside cat, downtown is fine, the windows will keep it entertained.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,420,525 times
Well, you can't go wrong with anything that Pat will put you in touch with. She manages our house during the winter and checks on things for us. I don't think you will be unhappy in Eastport. Life is slower there, and you do have to plan your trips because you are, "for city people", off the beaten path. The poem describes how I feel about Eastport. It is the road not taken by everyone!

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

By taking roads less travelled to Maine you find towns like Eastport that are jewels and "that has made all the difference."

Last edited by maine4.us; 10-23-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM

26 posts, read 34,451 times
I was wondering about the parking. Thanks for letting me know. Sam is for sure an indoor cat, I know he would enjoy the view. I have to pay 140 for the heat each month (in addition to the rent of course). Also, Jan, Feb, Mar the landlord will assist in paying the heating bill, I'm not sure how that would work.

I'm trying to do all this on line so I have an address to come to. From everything I've read on this forum I feel secure in trusting. I am worried about my car though. It needs to be protected. I guess there isn't a garage but I'm wondering if I can rent a garage.

Thanks for the good word about Pat, I've only corresponded by email but she has been very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine