Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 43,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I'd love to see the data that enabled you to arrive at the well depth, the water temp, the pumping resistances as well as the size and capacity of the pond. If you already have a DEP permit to build the pond information on how that process went, would be very interesting, too.

A well that deep will cost something in excess of $20,000, I would think, so it seems to me that you are well beyond a point of diminishing returns, if you think that pumping water from a deep hole will heat the slab.

What is the amperage, size and type of the 16 batteries, and what prompted that particular number, I wonder.

This is an interesting project, but without a method of bringing the water temperature up to a heating level, I doubt that the "heated slab" will actually provide heat. I suspect that you will need a heat pump in line to raise the water temperature to around 125 or more degrees before the slab will actually provide heat to the interior of a dwelling.
The well only needs a 1" pipe since it is used to circulated the PEX pipe in the slab (in/out) (2400 sq ft). The idea is not to use a heat pump (if possible) but just use what is there. I had this dream for 40 years and my wife and I are doing the work ourselves and so far we have done it all ourselves, if God continues to keep us healthy and fit we may just actually complete this dream. We built a 42'Lx20'wx30'tall barn ourselves so far and we are living on the loft part (our future guest house).
The pond is only for eye candy and 100'x60' but so far I have not started digging yet. So far the state of Maine has been very helpful in helping this project. Keep the ideas and opinions coming they certainly help my thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 AM

176 posts, read 597,900 times
In Saco, the new train station on Saco Island will be heated and cooled by geothermal energy and powered by wind energy.

http://www.hardypond.com/images/Saco%20Transportation.JPG (broken link)

http://www.lasselarchitects.com/mambots/content/smoothgallery/cache/images/stories/500x250-stc_500x250.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Where are living now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
In Saco, the new train station on Saco Island will be heated and cooled by geothermal energy and powered by wind energy.

http://www.hardypond.com/images/Saco%20Transportation.JPG (broken link)

http://www.lasselarchitects.com/mambots/content/smoothgallery/cache/images/stories/500x250-stc_500x250.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM

176 posts, read 597,900 times
If your asking where I live, in Saco. If not, i'm not sure what you're talking about

Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM

34 posts, read 104,414 times
You mention using the water to heat your driveway. Unless it's moving at a high rate 24 hours a day freezing will be an issue...

I've been using geothermal to cool my house in Florida for 22 years. Cooling 2200 sq. ft requires 20+ gallons per min. when the A/C is on, so flow isn't an issue, but the unit does cycle. I assume yours will too.

Last edited by rod67; 10-13-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The site-work guy that I used to build my driveway and to open the trench for my foundation, he has PEX tubing in his driveway. That he uses to heat and de-ice his driveway.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM

34 posts, read 104,414 times
Is he using a closed loop system with antifreeze, or a pump and dump?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:47 AM

you make a great observation regarding the insulation. regarding the Windmills they can produce enough energy to run a house, but once the charge level to the batteries is achieved then you must divert the electric to either a sink, water heater, pump among other things. the reason for a deep well is that you want to transport that energy to the surface but do remember that there is a temp rise of about 3/4deg FH per 100-150ft beyond the 400ft level. the system I have designed takes wind and solar to run. Solar is about 13% efficient and windmills are abot 75% however they are free. Solar panels have a fair life and so do windmills. Batteries on the other hand (depending) can last a very long time. The batteries we used in the telephone co lasted in excess of 15 years and todays batteries can even exceed that time because of better control of the float.

The state advised me that as long as I dump the water into the pond I am building meets the criteria to protect wildlife and wetlands there is no problem. DEP has been of great help. I designed the pond to be a wildlife refuge (sort of) where I can enjoy their activities from afar (abou 900ft away). I really cannot wait till I complete this dream.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,553 times
Default Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
listen to 'Hot and Cold' with Prof Dick Hill and Tom Gozce.
These TWO are the ones on whom to call, when you want to know anything about building insulation and heating, commercial and residential.

I've talked to both, but especially Tom, and gathered very helpful information and recommendations.

Put almost all of them to use in my house that I built in 1993. Been happy with it ever since.

Have listened to them for years. Tom has built his latest/last house that is VERY, VERY thermally advantaged.

So funny to hear about all the 'bells and whistles' people are buying and how much it is costing to finish the 'decorative' parts of a house and to compare that to the (UN)interest they have about the details of the most important parts of BUILDING A HOUSE. They focus on the 'decoration', the things they can see and show off, instead of putting the time and money and effort into the really important parts and systems, creating a very comfortable and economical (re energy use) home that they enjoy every day they are in it!

Go figure. Pay a lot now for all the pretty 'decorations' and pay a lot every year in discomfort and cost in a cold drafty 'show house'!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,553 times
Default Help

So far the state of Maine has been very helpful in helping this project.

It's good to get feedback out the State and the help/hinderance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonmaine View Post
The well only needs a 1" pipe since it is used to circulated the PEX pipe in the slab (in/out) (2400 sq ft). The idea is not to use a heat pump (if possible) but just use what is there. I had this dream for 40 years and my wife and I are doing the work ourselves and so far we have done it all ourselves, if God continues to keep us healthy and fit we may just actually complete this dream. We built a 42'Lx20'wx30'tall barn ourselves so far and we are living on the loft part (our future guest house).
The pond is only for eye candy and 100'x60' but so far I have not started digging yet. So far the state of Maine has been very helpful in helping this project. Keep the ideas and opinions coming they certainly help my thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine