Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLobster View Post
It concerns me that bringing in something new to do (for those who might be interested) is considered trying to "change" the Maine way of life.
When I think of people who want to change Maine I think of things that are deeply rooted here but viewed as wrong. "Don't hunt" is a big one, especially when it comes from a meat eater.

Quote:
Growing up in Maine, we certainly didn't have geocaching (another thing I'm totally up for trying!). That's a new thing... but it doesn't seem to have changed the communities of people who enjoy it. It's just given them another choice for recreation. And from what I can see, it brings friends & family together, which is something that *strengthens* communities.
About the only thing I'm adamant about not trying is nekkid bowling. When it comes to new recreational ideas, a lot of us are ready for it. We love geocaching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I was at McGuire from '86 until '95 when I retired. Used to be a tinbender on the C-141, KC-10 and any tramp that came through. Also taught maintenance classes there. Used to go to the diners with the ex in Bordentown and Burlington. Sometimes just have a piece of pie and coffee. They have some great diners there and around Philly. And NO WHERE (imho) can you get can you get a better pretzel or cheese steak than on Vine Street outside the Franklin Museum.
Yup, and south Jersey gets a really bad rap. It's a very beautiful area. They don't call it the Garden State for nothing.

I miss the amish/mennonite farmer's market in Columbus too. That was always a great place for the freshest produce and the handmade things the amish sold.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 AM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
ProdigalLobster, what are the "Maine Highlands?"

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The Maine Highlands, located at the very heart of the state, encompasses six distinct regions: Greater Bangor, Katahdin, Lincoln Lakes, Moosehead Lake, Sebasticook Valley, and Southern Piscataquis.

The Maine Highlands Region | Welcome to The Maine Highlands !

Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 AM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The Maine Highlands, located at the very heart of the state, encompasses six distinct regions: Greater Bangor, Katahdin, Lincoln Lakes, Moosehead Lake, Sebasticook Valley, and Southern Piscataquis.

The Maine Highlands Region | Welcome to The Maine Highlands !
Thanks msina!

Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 PM

118 posts, read 224,059 times
Default Too many Mainers believe they are unique.

I am constantly astounded by the statements made by Mainers, and, then soon on their heels, those who succumb to the delicious mindset that Maine and Mainers are unique in every way. It snows more here - tell that to someone from Minnesota. The weather changes frequently. The people "from away" are evil - unless they give lots of money to the people who are here and stay completely out of their way. Only Mainers hunt and fish. No one from away has ever hunted or fished. The local cultures could not be more incestuous or ingrained, and man, if you act outside that - unless, that is, you're giving them money or have a big name - you're doomed.

Many people come here and want to change nothing - nor do they have the means to do so. I'm one of them. I fell for all that self-reliance, common sense bull****. It was true at one time, but that was true everywhere people settled. There was no choice.

Here, it is a medal of honor to work 4 jobs. That never happens anywhere else, you see. No one else in the country - or the world, for that matter, has to scrape and break their backs just to get by. It's insane, I tell you. Even when they leave the state - as a large number do - to escape the winters - they take all their crap with them and never once see that they are imposing themselves on other localities - happy to take the newest condos and golf courses - not giving a rat's behind that the construction of these things displaced the very people they claim come here and displace.

I have never witnessed such hypocrisy, dedicated ignorance, nor outright lying, as I have encountered in Maine. If anyone decides to move here - don't go further north than Brunswick, or at least stay as far away from the midcoast area as possible.

There are fascinating, brilliant, engaging people here, but - never mind. Close-mindedness is not atypical in small towns. But I've never seen the outright meanness that exists here. Never. Anywhere.

There is no way I would remain here if there was any way I could leave. As to salsa dancing? There's plenty of it. I firmly believe that Mainers hate themselves for being Mainers.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:23 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
I am constantly astounded by the statements made by Mainers, and, then soon on their heels, those who succumb to the delicious mindset that Maine and Mainers are unique in every way. It snows more here - tell that to someone from Minnesota. The weather changes frequently. The people "from away" are evil - unless they give lots of money to the people who are here and stay completely out of their way. Only Mainers hunt and fish. No one from away has ever hunted or fished. The local cultures could not be more incestuous or ingrained, and man, if you act outside that - unless, that is, you're giving them money or have a big name - you're doomed.

Many people come here and want to change nothing - nor do they have the means to do so. I'm one of them. I fell for all that self-reliance, common sense bull****. It was true at one time, but that was true everywhere people settled. There was no choice.

Here, it is a medal of honor to work 4 jobs. That never happens anywhere else, you see. No one else in the country - or the world, for that matter, has to scrape and break their backs just to get by. It's insane, I tell you. Even when they leave the state - as a large number do - to escape the winters - they take all their crap with them and never once see that they are imposing themselves on other localities - happy to take the newest condos and golf courses - not giving a rat's behind that the construction of these things displaced the very people they claim come here and displace.

I have never witnessed such hypocrisy, dedicated ignorance, nor outright lying, as I have encountered in Maine. If anyone decides to move here - don't go further north than Brunswick, or at least stay as far away from the midcoast area as possible.

There are fascinating, brilliant, engaging people here, but - never mind. Close-mindedness is not atypical in small towns. But I've never seen the outright meanness that exists here. Never. Anywhere.

There is no way I would remain here if there was any way I could leave. As to salsa dancing? There's plenty of it. I firmly believe that Mainers hate themselves for being Mainers.
I see someone fouled your Wheaties this morning. Good to see you in such a good mood.

We recently attended an event [to bid farewell to a friend] when they got into a discussion of what needs to be done to help those 'in poverty'. As it turned out, their meaning to 'poverty' is 2X higher than the Federal poverty-level. When I mentioned that we need more jobs, I guess I stepped into a carefully laid trap. The group mentality there was that they do not want jobs. They want to proclaim the 'right' to guaranteed income well above poverty, without jobs in the equation.

I was very surprised to hear that stance from so many people.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:

Maybe you would have been treated better if you didn't have such an attitude.
Just saying.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Take note that there is a six year gap in this thread. The gap before midcoaster's screed is six long years and in that time he has made 34 posts to date.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:

and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make (give)

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine