Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times

Advertisements

I still think taxes should be equal across the board, rather than a sliding scale. I don't think I agree with the rich being taxed more than the poor. 10% of a million is still more than 10% of $30K. Equal taxing is only fair. I've never understood being penalized for being successful.

Next they're going to raise taxes on beautiful people and lower them for poor ugly souls! That's about how much sense it all makes to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I still think taxes should be equal across the board, rather than a sliding scale. I don't think I agree with the rich being taxed more than the poor. 10% of a million is still more than 10% of $30K. Equal taxing is only fair. I've never understood being penalized for being successful.

Next they're going to raise taxes on beautiful people and lower them for poor ugly souls! That's about how much sense it all makes to me!
Agreed!! How about using a 1% flat tax like Florida has done. No deductions, just strictly based on your income.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Now that's fair. Who could complain about that? So why does the government have to complicate everything??? They then have to create new government jobs (and more salaries to pay) and hire people just to audit their screwy systems and calculations! It's rediculous.

My grandpa used to say, "The smarter they are, the stupider they are!"

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
Florida Intangibles Tax is a tax base on asset(net ?), only apply to those with large asset. i don't have the current detail, it was couple years ago when the florida treasury dep. think we own some tax, it tax rate was $1 per $1000 of asset only on above certain amount.
"old info"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Agreed!! How about using a 1% flat tax like Florida has done. No deductions, just strictly based on your income.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Florida Intangibles Tax is a tax base on asset(net ?), only apply to those with large asset. i don't have the current detail, it was couple years ago when the florida treasury dep. think we own some tax, it tax rate was $1 per $1000 of asset only on above certain amount.
"old info"
I was just referring to state taxes and I had never heard of the Intangibles tax. My Dad lives in Clearwater and never mentioned this.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
So many problems, ...

Here are my opinions.

IMHO

Our money is paper, and not based on anything real. It is printed to cover debt. We need to stop the fiat money system and go back to money backed by precious metals.

Our corporations have left the nation, along with jobs and trade. We need to solidify our borders and tariff imports. Push our corporations back home again. Everything to be imported must be taxed. All US corporations must be taxed on their foreign holdings, and taxed again based on the percentage of foreign-national share-holders they have.

We need to address why we make some things illegal and why other things become subsidized. We have no unified method. It has become a hodgepodge and makes no sense, thus we make no sense. Every chemical, every drug, every physical item [which does not inherently have the ability to kill large populations] must be made legal. Then if it is dangerous it's manufacture should be licensed and taxed. Anything that is not a WMD, that you can grow and produce yourself, should be allowed. Anything that you produce for retail should be taxed.

Foreign oil is killing us, we need to stop importing oil. When we were the highest 'lifestyle' nation we could afford to import oil, now that so many other nations have become huge oil consumers, we must stop competing with them for oil. We have our own oil. We must stop importing oil, and we must use our own oil.

We sit on the world's supply of coal, we need to use it.

We also sit on nearly 40% of the world's supply of sustainable peat fuel, our neighbor to our North sits on 45% of the world's supply of self-sustainable peat fuel.

We need more power plants. Why we have allowed our legislators to cause brown-outs and high utility rates is insane. We need more power plants, now. Lower utility rates and more jobs would follow.

Obviously we must continue to encourage the development of alternative power methods.

We need to follow Oregon's health care lead, and become medically discriminatory. Free check-ups, and all preventative treatments which avoid long term illness later in life should be provided. But costly elective procedures, and $1million surgeries for the elderly must stop. Prevention is cheaper and economically feasible. Multiple procedures for each person, with each procedure costing over $100,000, when multiplied by every citizen in the nation, is not sustainable economically.

Not every child is a high IQ. Get over it. Not every child will earn a Phd. I know that this is an insulting idea, but we must face facts. Some folks are rocks. A free education for high-GPA / high aptitude children makes sense. Vo-Tech training for lower ability children also makes sense. Gearing a public-ed system with the goal of making every child a brain surgeon is stupid. If one child only has the natural ability to succeed with a 6th grade education, then do it, and put him on a career path to succeed with that level of education. if the next child has the ability to 'shine' up to an 8th grade education, then do that, and offer him appropriate Vo-Tech at that point. Ff another child, ... and so it goes all the way to where only a tiny portion of students are truly 'gifted' and those can work their way through to become physicists, or doctors, or bio-chem engineers.

So I have discussed: Economics, jobs, borders, tariffs, drugs, oil, power, health care, Education,

Fini

Old 10-18-2008, 08:00 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
as of couple years ago, Florida does NOT have state income tax. I am not sure after 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I was just referring to state taxes and I had never heard of the Intangibles tax. My Dad lives in Clearwater and never mentioned this.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You really think that they are going to tax you in that manner?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You really think that they are going to tax you in that manner?
If they thought they could get more money.......

Old 10-18-2008, 03:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
Way to go Forest. I only disagree with you on one thing. There is NO medical procedure that costs a million bucks!!! There is no way the care can cost that much. I had a $144K hospital bill that my insurance company settled for less than 20K. Do the math and a million dollar procedure would only actually cost 140K. Hospitals are like used car dealers, if you are dumb enough to pay the asking price........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine