U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 AM

5,667 posts, read 7,709,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do use our bread machine, it is a nice option. But if your paying retail for the ingredients, it is hard to beat the price of wonder bread.
There's no comparison to homemade bread and Wonder "bread." Real bread has substance and texture and flavor. Wonder Bread is just...air. It's kind of bizarre stuff.

You asked about sour dough. I make it. My kitchen is full of lots of wild yeasts thanks to years of baking. It's easier for me to start with freshly ground hard red wheat than anything but I can get it going in freshly ground rye if I'm patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,817,443 times
I am a dedicated coupon clipper - I have a budget of $80. per week to feed myself, mensaguy and my father who lives with us.

I stock up on things we use the most - rice, red beans, noodles, pasta sauce, etc. I make simple filling meals like chicken noodle casserole, red beans and rice with kielbasa, eggplant parmesan, beef tips and veggies, spaghetti and other pastas.

For meat I always check the section of mark downs - then I repackage and freeze them when I get home. With coupons I can and do get some prepackaged frozen meals and they will feed us for a meal, leftovers a day or so later and mensaguy's lunches.

I am a firm believer in leftovers being used to stretch our budget. So far, I've come in under budget every week. I only shop once a week for groceries. If I run out of something and can't wait until grocery shopping day, mensaguy picks it up for me on his way home.

Along with the coupons, store specials, markdowns and bulk foods, my store also gives a 5% discount every Tuesday for people over 55.

Along with the coupons, I make a list and I don't deviate from the list. If it's not on the list, I don't buy it unless it's a markdown sale that I wasn't aware of until I went in the store. It's time intensive but very worth it for us.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,320,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Part of the issue is that we choose not to eat the cheap filler foods like white rice, pasta, etc. I also never buy canned veggies, except baked beans. We eat primarily whole and fresh foods. They're more expensive, but I just can't bring myself to feed my family routinely stuff that is so unhealthy. That said, we do make meals periodically out of those ingredients, because we enjoy the flavors, but we can't live on it. We'd all weigh 300 lbs!

Part of THAT issue is that we don't get enough excercise here to counter high starch/fat foods. I'm trying very hard to help my kids avoid the obesity issues I've dealt with since my teens by starting early with teaching them better ways to eat. I'm hoping that when we move, we can be as active as we've always wanted to be and burn those calories and be able to relax our eating habits a bit.
I don't buy just canned foods. We buy fresh foods that in season that we like. I've eaten canned foods for 54 yrs and do not consider myself to be unhealthy. We don't live on those foods. Good grief...we like variety. Our biggest downfall is steak, but not about to give that up. I make my own pizzas as can make them better tasting and exactly the way we want them. My daughter wouldn't eat them as she doesn't like the fact I use whole wheat flour. LOL. (more for us)
I dont buy canned baked beans.....gross. If we want baked beans, I make them from scratch...the only way to have them. I don't cook 100% from scratch, but do make alot of things. For me, its about time. I like to spend my time doing things I enjoy, not slaving over a stove all day. Though I do like to cook, I also like doing other things.
I walk every day. As does my grandson. (Plus is he is always riding his bike) We take the dog walking at least a mile a day. I sometimes will walk her by myself in the evening. I don't get the exercise like I did when I had horses, but that will change next year when I get them again.
Oh yea I read labels too and the only canned veggies I buy are the salt free ones.
We don't do fast food, except an occasional chicken sandwich from Sonic. We eat out often as there are so many good restaurants here in ABQ. Places that will never be in Maine or any other place for that matter. Can't get authentic New Mexican green chile burgers in Maine.
In some ways we are frugal, in others we're not. But hey we can't take it with us, so might as well enjoy it while we can.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,469,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
***shudder*** mac and cheese. Yuck. Or at least yuck to the boxed stuff. On the rare occasions we have it, I make it from scratch....
I'm so with you on that.... in this house it's called "cardboard mac and cheese"

I have to say too, if Zymer says he's doing it on a dollar day, I believe him. He doesn't tend to exaggerate or brag. A lack of understanding doesn't mean something isn't true.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,051,048 times
On the bread issue, I'll never forget the first time my girls were served white bread. They sat there looking at it for a minute, then asked what was wrong with it. I had no idea what they were talking about. Victoria said, "It's white!"

I have a hard time with white sandwich bread. It's gummy. I prefer texture.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 AM

500 posts, read 1,107,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's pretty rude. I understand that you may have some difficulty conceptualizing how this could be done, but that isn't my fault and it isn't any reason for you to insult me by calling me a liar. Just because *you* don't understand how a thing can be done is no reason to insult the person who says he can do it. It would be far better if you were to state your lack of understanding diplomatically and ask for clarification, which could provide you with an opportunity to learn something as well as induce people to believe you have a higher level of intelligence and social grace than you have demonstrated with this post.
Perhaps BS was the wrong verbage, but not by much. I apologize for that term. I have found that much of what is written on forums needs to be taken with some latitude, as people exagerate and lie all the time. Are you lieing - probably not, but perhaps stretching the truth?

Eating on a 1$/day I still think is a stretch. This is $7/wk, roughly $30 per month. I certainly can't/don't do it. Don't think I want to either. A typical weekday for me....
breakfast 5:45 - raison bran cereal, milk, banana
snack 7:30 - granola bar - just before classes start
snack 8:55 - apple. Also need to run to bathroom if workday since I can't leave a classroom with kids in it - and only 5 minutes between classes.
lunch 11:15 - PBJ, piece of cheese, 2 carrots, 6 oreo cookies
snack 2:00 - granola bar, pear
dinner - 5:30 - chicken breast, sweet potato, fresh broccoli
snack 8:00 - hot air popcorn

This is typical for me. I am diabetic and need to eat regularly. I record my daily intake and keep track of carbs. I am in great health/weight other than the diabetes. I can't see how anyone could eat the above for $1, even purchased in bulk. The fruit alone is probably close to $2/day. I am not going to starve myself to save money, and am going to enjoy good food while eating. But to each their own and whatever makes you happy.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 PM

5,667 posts, read 7,709,740 times
So what part of this is a lie and which parts are exaggerations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Perhaps BS was the wrong verbage, but not by much. I apologize for that term. I have found that much of what is written on forums needs to be taken with some latitude, as people exagerate and lie all the time. Are you lieing - probably not, but perhaps stretching the truth?

Eating on a 1$/day I still think is a stretch. This is $7/wk, roughly $30 per month. I certainly can't/don't do it. Don't think I want to either. A typical weekday for me....
breakfast 5:45 - raison bran cereal, milk, banana
snack 7:30 - granola bar - just before classes start
snack 8:55 - apple. Also need to run to bathroom if workday since I can't leave a classroom with kids in it - and only 5 minutes between classes.
lunch 11:15 - PBJ, piece of cheese, 2 carrots, 6 oreo cookies
snack 2:00 - granola bar, pear
dinner - 5:30 - chicken breast, sweet potato, fresh broccoli
snack 8:00 - hot air popcorn

This is typical for me. I am diabetic and need to eat regularly. I record my daily intake and keep track of carbs. I am in great health/weight other than the diabetes. I can't see how anyone could eat the above for $1, even purchased in bulk. The fruit alone is probably close to $2/day. I am not going to starve myself to save money, and am going to enjoy good food while eating. But to each their own and whatever makes you happy.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,469,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
....I have found that much of what is written on forums needs to be taken with some latitude, as people exagerate and lie all the time....
really?? hmmm.... well don't include me in THOSE generalizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

that's what I'm wondering too....

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM

500 posts, read 1,107,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Dammit - you caught me - I only ate 4 of the oreos monday - gave two to other teachers.

Obviously I am wrong. Nobody ever lies and everything written on a forum is true. My bad.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,795,598 times
I just wish Zymer would come back and share some of the meal plans with us. I would love to try that at least a couple of times a week, maybe more, but don't have clue #1 as to where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine