Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else make sourdough bread?

We don't grind our own wheat flour [anymore] but we do have wheat flour stored in a stack of 5-gallon buckets. [along with sugar, coffee, beans, etc] We get it when it is available for cheap.

It supplies bread for fairly cheap.

I am doing pea-soup today, with our own carrots. We ran out of our own pork, but B got some pork trimmings at the grocery store where she works for real cheap. The price of peas really went up a lot this year. We were surprised at how much peas went up.

We make our own stock too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Well I'm glad it's not just me. I've had people look at me as though I sprouted a 2nd head when I say that I make my own stock. Good grief, chicken stock is the easiest thing in the world to make. Roast a chicken or turkey and you have all you need. And it's so much better than store bought.

I admit freely that I can't fathom eating for $1 a day. I was thrilled yesterday when our entire grocery bill, including the trip to the butcher, came in at $124 for one week!
That's about what we spend and I cannot imagine it being much lower. Though we do buy chicken stock in the little box. Maybe it's time to dig out the old bread machine???

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Well I'm glad it's not just me. I've had people look at me as though I sprouted a 2nd head when I say that I make my own stock. Good grief, chicken stock is the easiest thing in the world to make. Roast a chicken or turkey and you have all you need. And it's so much better than store bought.

I admit freely that I can't fathom eating for $1 a day. I was thrilled yesterday when our entire grocery bill, including the trip to the butcher, came in at $124 for one week!
B has a cookbook titled: "99 cent cookbook"

It lists family meals where you can feed a family of 4, on 99 cents per meal.

No mac and cheese though.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Does anyone else make sourdough bread?

We don't grind our own wheat flour [anymore] but we do have wheat flour stored in a stack of 5-gallon buckets. [along with sugar, coffee, beans, etc] We get it when it is available for cheap.

It supplies bread for fairly cheap.

I am doing pea-soup today, with our own carrots. We ran out of our own pork, but B got some pork trimmings at the grocery store where she works for real cheap. The price of peas really went up a lot this year. We were surprised at how much peas went up.

We make our own stock too.
No wonder the "stock market" is collapsing!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,916 times
Quote:
B has a cookbook titled: "99 cent cookbook"

It lists family meals where you can feed a family of 4, on 99 cents per meal.

No mac and cheese though.

***shudder*** mac and cheese. Yuck. Or at least yuck to the boxed stuff. On the rare occasions we have it, I make it from scratch.

I'll have to check around for that cookbook. I can think of a few meals that might come in right around $1.00 per meal but that $1 per day thing I don't understand at all. Hmm, perhaps it was a typo??

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That's about what we spend and I cannot imagine it being much lower. Though we do buy chicken stock in the little box. Maybe it's time to dig out the old bread machine???
We have a bread machine. B often makes bread in it.

It has been our observation that paying retail for the flour, sugar, the special BM yeast, and the electric bill; that you are within 5% of the price of store bought bread.

B gets breads at the bread store for cheap [5 loaves for $1] and freezes them. Our chest freezer has a layer of those frozen loaves. We use them sandwiches.

We do use our bread machine, it is a nice option. But if your paying retail for the ingredients, it is hard to beat the price of wonder bread.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
My spending habits are the same. I dunno, I am finding it hard to believe that a recession is going on. My income and spending is the same as it ever was, my job has had many record days for sales this season, even though tourism has supposedly suffered in Maine. The tourists that came through the restaurant that I work obviously did not get the memo as they were shelling out $18 for lobster rolls and up to $44 for a two pound lobster dinners left and right. I don't get it?

Last night I heard a bit on the radio about how all of this has been planned to move towards a world currency; the US Government now owns the world's largest insurer, and some of the bigger banks in the US, while the Central Banks are closely working with the US Government and other US banks. I am not calling conspiracy theory, but it does seem rather odd.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM

What is the rock-bottom cheapest diet?

The Roman armies marched on porridge [Whole grains, unhulled, boiled until they soften]. The Roman armies conquered the entire known world. For 'feasts' they roasted mice, doves, and small varmints.

A barley farmer called me this morning, to see if I had the barley that I needed. $2.30 for 50# was his asking price.

A 200# hog is fine on about 2# of porridge a day [dry weight before you boil it].

So at 5 cents a pound for grain, a 200# omnivore eats a maintenance diet of grain which costs about 10 cents a day. I am thinking that as a rock-bottom dirt-cheap diet for a large omnivore, in our current economy, this is about the cheapest that you can get.

Add fresh game, home grown veggies, and season to taste.

Your results may vary.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Quote:
What is the rock-bottom cheapest diet?

The Roman armies marched on porridge [Whole grains, unhulled, boiled until they soften]. The Roman armies conquered the entire known world. For 'feasts' they roasted mice, doves, and small varmints.

A barley farmer called me this morning, to see if I had the barley that I needed. $2.30 for 50# was his asking price.

A 200# hog is fine on about 2# of porridge a day [dry weight before you boil it].

So at 5 cents a pound for grain, a 200# omnivore eats a maintenance diet of grain which costs about 10 cents a day. I am thinking that as a rock-bottom dirt-cheap diet for a large omnivore, in our current economy, this is about the cheapest that you can get.

Add fresh game, home grown veggies, and season to taste.

Your results may vary.
Man, I can't wait until I buy a farm!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 AM

740 posts, read 1,873,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My spending habits are the same. I dunno, I am finding it hard to believe that a recession is going on. My income and spending is the same as it ever was, my job has had many record days for sales this season, even though tourism has supposedly suffered in Maine. The tourists that came through the restaurant that I work obviously did not get the memo as they were shelling out $18 for lobster rolls and up to $44 for a two pound lobster dinners left and right. I don't get it?

Last night I heard a bit on the radio about how all of this has been planned to move towards a world currency; the US Government now owns the world's largest insurer, and some of the bigger banks in the US, while the Central Banks are closely working with the US Government and other US banks. I am not calling conspiracy theory, but it does seem rather odd.
I first heard of this conspiracy theory a few years ago when I was studying into purchasing gold. The way things have headed since that time makes you wander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine