Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I made Potatoe, Leek & Corn chowder for supper tonight. Top with shredded CHEDDAR (not Velveeta) and bacon bits, and the kids scarfed it down with cornbread muffins.

El, are we starting to break you of your Velveeta addiction this quickly??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM

874 posts, read 1,847,237 times
I know Velveeta is fake cheese and absolute crap but my grandmother used it and I have a mild fondness for the stuff. As far as saving money goes it doesn't seems all that cheap these days.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
I know Velveeta is fake cheese and absolute crap but my grandmother used it and I have a mild fondness for the stuff. As far as saving money goes it doesn't seems all that cheap these days.
I have the same feeling about Spam and Franco-American Spaghetti in the can. We loved that stuff as kids but when I have it now ....well tastes change... I'll still eat Spam and eggs for breakfast now and then.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,416,402 times
I never tasted Spam in my life til the 4 hurricanes went through south Florida in 05.... after 8 days with no power, I thought I was dining in a 5 star restaurant at my next door neighbors... eggs, spam, hot coffe, and toast on her gas stove!!! Spam ain't bad!!! lol

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 AM

6,614 posts, read 13,457,325 times
You can stretch a pound of inexpensive fish by making chowder. I'm going to make fish chowder today. Scrub and dice potatoes and dice an onion. Cover them with just enough water to cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost cooked. Turn off the heat. Lay the fish on top of the potatoes and onions, cover and let set. The heat will cook the fish. Add butter, salt, pepper and milk. I add cream too. You can stretch this a lot by adding more potato.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,364,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
Yep, it's what we grew up on! It melts better than any other cheese, so it got melted into all our dips and casseroles. It also used to be the cheapest cheese you could buy. Now it's pretty high. Two years ago, I could get the big block for $2.99. I passed it up the other day when I saw it was $5.19! I bought Kraft sharp cheddar they had on sale for $2.00/8 oz.

So what do you all use for your grilled cheese sandwiches?

And I do eat all kinds of cheeses! I LOVE cheese. I just never try to melt them.......well, except for Monterey Jack and Mazzarella. We use that in our Mexican and Italian meals.

Last edited by Elcarim; 10-23-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM

20 posts, read 59,733 times
elbow macaroni, canned diced tomatoes, vienna sausages sliced, add the fat from the can of viennas too. YUM...we used to eat this when I was a kid and money was tight. Its pretty tasty and I still eat it once in a while.

Brown hamburg and onion, make a little well in the middle, add cornstarch and enough water to make gravy- stir all together, serve on toast, rice, noodles or potato

fry hamburger and onions, add tomato sauce and a can of drained corn, add chilli powder to taste- heat through. Mix up a package of Jiffy corn bread mix and pour over top, put a cover on and simmer/cook until the corn bread sets up.

I love one pan dishes.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 AM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times
I like spam, but it is not cheap.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,578,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I like spam, but it is not cheap.

I think the dollar stores are the cheapest places to get it. Also check your stores during the month of December. Most everything in grocery stores come way down in December. That's when I stock up on coffee and butter.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 AM

181 posts, read 483,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

So what do you all use for your grilled cheese sandwiches?
I use sliced swiss, usually... or sometimes munster. Sometimes, when I'm feeling extra wild & crazy, I combine the two.

I usually buy pre-sliced, because I'm single & it lasts awhile anyway. But it might be cheaper to buy & slice yourself, especially if you have a mandoline to make the job easy. Then you could probably keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge, maybe layered with parchment to keep it from sticking together.

Poor El, everyone's picking on your Velveeta, LOL! You're such a good sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine