U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM

7,471 posts, read 14,434,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Take a piece of bologna and fry it in a frying pan until brown on both sides. Place on white bread with mayonnaise and eat.
I used to eat these as a kid. Except I would use ketchup instead of mayo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM

21,797 posts, read 28,238,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I think the dollar stores are the cheapest places to get it. Also check your stores during the month of December. Most everything in grocery stores come way down in December. That's when I stock up on coffee and butter.
I found that as a teen doing long hikes a can of spam, cheese and crackers makes for an easy trail side lunch. However IMHO doing the economics os such lunches it is not very economical, nor is that lunch lightweight.

Recently I was shopping for myself, getting a summer's worth of food. I food that among canned meats, spam is a higher priced canned meat.

Now we do not eat much spam, as there are much cheaper menu items. with less preservatives.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM

B cans a lot of applesauce each year. And pumpkin, ...

I just noticed that we still have a bunch of horseradish, one bottom drawer in our frig is all horseradish.

The dehydrator is already full today. But maybe we can shift to drying horseradish soon.

Any ideas on the best method of storing so much horseradish?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM

21,278 posts, read 5,175,408 times
I never liked the Franco-American spaghetti, but I looooooved the FA macaroni and cheese! hahaha My friend grew up on the boxed Kraft mac and cheese, but I always thought it came from a can! lol Love the homemade versions now though!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I always loved sardines on a Premium saltine as a kid! haha

Also enjoy 2 beef hotdogs boiled, then chilled, preferably overnight. Slice them in half the long way, load your WHITE bread with Miracle Whip mayo, slap the 4 slices of dog onto one side of the bread and top with sliced cucumbers and the other piece of bread. Yummy comfort food! Dad always ate the same but with tomatoes! lol Weird, but honestly, it's pretty dang all right if I do say so myself!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM

445 posts, read 623,366 times
Default sardines and hot dogs

I still enjoy sardines on saltine crackers. Very inexpensive and so good for you. We also used to eat Vienna sausages (or Vianny weeners as my Virginia uncle called them) cut in half lengthwise on white bread with mayo. A staple from early married days was a whole spam, scored and coated with mustard and whole cloves stuck in the top and baked for an hour. GAG. Today whole cloves cost ten times more than a can of spam but they must have been cheap back then.

We I was first married we were so poor that I would save all the chicken livers from the chickens it was my job to spit for the rotisserie at the local IGA. After about three days I'd have enough free chicken livers to make a supper from. I fried them in butter with a little onion, and when we had the money, a little bacon. Sometimes I "creamed" them with a little milk and we ate them on toast. We at chicken livers two or three times a week. I was actually glad when hubby shot a deer.....until around March when we'd be so sick of eating venison that we couldn't stand it.

On another note - Lobster's only $3.00 a pound so we're gorging this weekend. Might spring for a bottle of champagne. Now that's a meal....lobster and champagne!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,543,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
B cans a lot of applesauce each year. And pumpkin, ...

I just noticed that we still have a bunch of horseradish, one bottom drawer in our frig is all horseradish.

The dehydrator is already full today. But maybe we can shift to drying horseradish soon.

Any ideas on the best method of storing so much horseradish?
in the GROUND?

Seriously, my dad just let it go until he needed some. I suppose it would be hard digging, come February... but don't they keep in a root cellar situation fairly well??

(PS if you have extra I'll be glad to store some for you in MY ground until next year or so... )

Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM

American girl.... sounds like you were eating homemade pate'!! I buy chix livers and saute them with onion, garlic, mushrooms, and then whirl up in my Cuisinart and add spices. It's yummy stuff, but if I 'had' to eat it every day for supper, I guess it would get pretty sickening in a short amount of time! lol

We all should buy some lobster, cook it, clean it, and freeze it for use later this year! What a plan!

LOVE champagne with a splash of pomegranite juice and a few blackberries dropped in the glass and topped off with some raspberry liquer... mmmmMMMMMmmmmm!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
in the GROUND?

Seriously, my dad just let it go until he needed some. I suppose it would be hard digging, come February... but don't they keep in a root cellar situation fairly well??

(PS if you have extra I'll be glad to store some for you in MY ground until next year or so... )
I stand corrected.

I have been told that the horseradish in the frig is next year's seed.

You see we planted the horseradish in a container, they grew lots of greens with fairly small shoulders. After pulling up all that would pull, I dumped the container upside down and found that the plants had become root-bound, bottom of the container was FILLED with roots. and so we have a great deal of horseradish.

B already dried some [perhaps 47 times more that what we eat in a year], and she has a large quantity in the frig awaiting spring. One more year of horseradish production and we should be supplied with horseradish well into the next century.

I wonder if hogs will eat horseradish?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM
RHB

1,072 posts, read 1,223,130 times
I have enough horseradish to share....star would like some, if anyone else would like some let me know, and we will see if we can make it happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine