U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,819,427 times

Advertisements

My Mac & Cheese Recipe from allrecipes.com. NO Velveeta!!!!

INGREDIENTS
8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni ( I use whole grain, never white)
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk (1%)
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika

DIRECTIONS
Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,582,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Dice potatoes and onions and boil them. Drain the water off into a bucket for hog slop. Slice up some Kielbasa into a LARGE fry pan, with some oil. Fry the kielbasa, and stir in the potatoes and onions. Add garlic and basil.

This can easily feed 4 to 10 depending on how much potatoes and onions you boiled.
and if you want to dress it up and happen to have one, a bell pepper, diced, makes a great addition. You can add cut up cabbage too... It works best -- in my opinion -- if the potatoes are boiled the day before and refrigerated overnight. I often boil extras when I am making mashed potatoes to reserve just for this purpose.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Speaking of bell peppers, do you all flash freeze your bell peppers to to have them on hand all year? I get them for 0.39 a piece (even the red and yellow!) and go crazy chopping and freezing. I need another freezer just for all my freezer bags of fresh frozen veggies. One thing I can say for this city is they do know how to do a farmers market. It's huge and it's right downtown every Saturday, all summer.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM

5,669 posts, read 7,769,541 times
I usually blanch all vegetables before they go into the freezer. It stops enzyme action. This year I was just sick and tired of putting up food when I got to the last of the peppers. I chopped them up and put them in a vacuum sealed freezer bag. I used some in spaghetti sauce yesterday and they were great.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM

I blanch broccoli and cauliflower, but haven't found it necessary with the peppers. As long as heavy duty freezer bags are used, and the extra air sucked out, they stay extremely fresh and brightly colored.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM

21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
same here, went on the internet looking for quick and easy way to kill, still waiting to bring myself up for the job.
We can get together anytime you wish, and butcher some critters together. If you wish to.

It is easy.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,676,313 times
cutting back recipes? hm let me think ok iv got a good recipe to save money.bread and water.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I blanch broccoli and cauliflower, but haven't found it necessary with the peppers. As long as heavy duty freezer bags are used, and the extra air sucked out, they stay extremely fresh and brightly colored.
When I took the Master Food Preserver class I believe we were told that peppers are one of the few things one should NOT blanch. I never have...

Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Sarah Palin would have taken care of those chickens!
so would/could I... and no, I am not running for vice president and if drafted would not accept the position...

Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
HA! That's hilarious. The more you post, the more curmudgeon-esque and funny you get. i've started to actually seek out your posts...

I had a 99 cent cup o' noodles the other day that was pretty good. I'll probably die of a heart attack if i eat any more of them, but under a buck nonetheless.
Yes but I'm a nice curmudgeon though! I like those 99 cent noodle things. My doctor doesn't like them (salty) but hey once in a while they're OK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine