U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM

21,278 posts, read 5,090,923 times
Salsa Chicken

1 lg. onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1-2 TBSP. olive oil

2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 jar Newman's Own Mango Salsa

1 jar Newman's Own Peach Salsa

1 jar Neman's Own Pineapple Salsa

1 package shredded mexican cheese - about 1 cup needed

Saute chopped onion and pressed garlic in olive oil til onion is translucent. Meanwhile, lay chicken in single layer in casserole dish. Top with onion/garlic mixture. Top this with the jars of salsa. Bake 45-60 minutes in 350 degree oven. If desired, top with shredded cheese - eyeball it, and put back in oven for a few minutes til the cheese melts.

Serve with Zatarin's Dirty Rice and a spinach salad on side.

YUM!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM

181 posts, read 323,566 times
Regarding macaroni & cheese... I like to use a mix of cheddar & gruyere. I also add a small pinch of nutmeg, which adds an unidentifiable body & plays nicely off the mild cheese.

My mom used Velveeta when I was very small... then switched over to real cheese. I think she was just a young mom & a friend eventually taught her how to make the good stuff. But it has always had crumbled saltines on top & been baked til crispy.

Does anyone else remember government cheese??? We got it from relatives sometimes, & it was very yummy, but strangely you couldn't buy the same thing in stores. I don't know if that was real cheese or 'cheese food'.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,326,054 times
I remember government cheese! Dad had a stroke when I was 6, and we had a few months of very, very tight times! Anyway, that was real cheese, and was sooooo yummy! The closest I've found to that is Land of Lakes American

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM

21,658 posts, read 27,591,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLobster View Post
... Does anyone else remember government cheese??? We got it from relatives sometimes, & it was very yummy, but strangely you couldn't buy the same thing in stores. I don't know if that was real cheese or 'cheese food'.
Yes, that is government 'surplus' cheese.

Powdered milk, peanut butter, flour, corn meal, butter, etc.

We have gotten it a few times.

As foster-parents we qualified for it most of the times that we were stationed stateside.

Also being career military, I have known many other sailors who also qualified for government 'surplus' foods. We only got it when we had foster-children living with us. Though looking back we may have qualified more often than that.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
RHB

1,070 posts, read 1,198,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Salsa Chicken

1 lg. onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1-2 TBSP. olive oil

2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 jar Newman's Own Mango Salsa

1 jar Newman's Own Peach Salsa

1 jar Neman's Own Pineapple Salsa

1 package shredded mexican cheese - about 1 cup needed

Saute chopped onion and pressed garlic in olive oil til onion is translucent. Meanwhile, lay chicken in single layer in casserole dish. Top with onion/garlic mixture. Top this with the jars of salsa. Bake 45-60 minutes in 350 degree oven. If desired, top with shredded cheese - eyeball it, and put back in oven for a few minutes til the cheese melts.

Serve with Zatarin's Dirty Rice and a spinach salad on side.

YUM!
Newman's Own - I don't know if I would ever spend that much for a jar of salsa -

It does sound good, but that wouldn't be "cutting back" for me - it would be splurge

Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,326,054 times
Costal what size jars are those? At my grocery store we don't have a big variety of the Newman's brand, but we do have the store brands in all of those I think

Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,487,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've never had luck melting cheddar. It always turns oily and stringy. Maybe making a roux makes the difference.
yes it does... but you can make a good mac and cheese without using a cheese sauce too... which is the way my family made it.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:10 PM

454 posts, read 548,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLobster View Post
Regarding macaroni & cheese... I like to use a mix of cheddar & gruyere. I also add a small pinch of nutmeg, which adds an unidentifiable body & plays nicely off the mild cheese.

My mom used Velveeta when I was very small... then switched over to real cheese. I think she was just a young mom & a friend eventually taught her how to make the good stuff. But it has always had crumbled saltines on top & been baked til crispy.

Does anyone else remember government cheese??? We got it from relatives sometimes, & it was very yummy, but strangely you couldn't buy the same thing in stores. I don't know if that was real cheese or 'cheese food'.
I make my Mac & Cheese with cheddar and Gruyere, too
And because sometimes the DH-to-be whines about more protein, sometimes I add in a bit of chopped browned bacon. Yummy

Government cheese!!!! I loved the stuff! I had a friend who belonged to a family of 12, widowed mom. His mom would invite me to stay over for supper (his mom used to say "ya don't tend to notice one more mouth once you get past 6 or 7"..lol), and she'd make mac & cheese with the gov cheese...and for dessert was almond brownies (made with almond butter)...something I had never seen before, came in a huge tin can. I thought they were rich to have such unique foods!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 PM

45 posts, read 50,537 times
Simple Potato soup - (My kids love this)

10 spuds not to big
1 onion
3 tablespoon of butter or substitute
1/2 pack bacon
3 small carrots
2 cups milk
can of cream of celery soup
teaspoon celery salt or 2 stalks
salt/pepper to taste
pinch of marjoram

cut potato place in soup pot - add just enough water to cover spuds and bring to boil then turn heat down and simmer till soft then remove from heat and slightly mash- do not drain water

in pan fry bacon till done (hint do not burn or brown) - remove bacon chop up and put to side add chopped onion to pan, cook until golden but not brown.

strain bacon grease and put to side.

put milk and soup in pan as well as bacon and onion -- heat through then add to potato

add cut up carrots to pot as well as the rest of the ingredients and half the leftver bacon grease - simmer until carrots are soft then serve...............

This will feed a family of 4 with leftovers for the next day for less then 15 bucks - we like toasted bread with this too!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM

20 posts, read 34,264 times
Default another cheap meal

Growing up my mom would fry up ground beef and onion, then add a lg can of pork and beans. Let simmer about 1/2 hour. Serve. Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine